Xed 1.8.2 Issue [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Xed 1.8.2 Issue [Solved]

Post by Total_Blue »

NOTE - I tried to search for an answer but the forums would not allow me to search for xed, as it is too short of a word.

I just installed Cinnamon 19 and my Media partition is mounted at a different location than it was in 18.3. As such, I needed to edit my rhythmdb.xml file. As I have many thousand of songs on my Media partition, this file about 32mb. (Had it also happen to playlists.xml, which is only 293kb).

Xed opens the file fine, and it it comes up in the Classic theme with coloured and black lettering on a white background, the way I like it. The problem is that once I start scrolling the the file to check for any further inconsistencies, I get so far when Xed's colour theme changes to dark letters on a dark background, as such I am no longer able to read it.

Thinking it may be a bug in Xed, I tried installing Gedit, which Xed is based on, and aside from the menu toolbar now being missing from Gedit, the problem I had with Xed replicated itself in Gedit.

I was able to finally get it done in Xed by doing a crtl-a and highlighting all the text, which made the dark on dark lettering readable, but this isn't a proper solution.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to do here?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Xed 1.8.2 Issue

Post by Flemur »

Total_Blue wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 amNOTE - I tried to search for an answer but the forums would not allow me to search for xed, as it is too short of a word.
The search built into the forum is kinda useless; Internet search like this:

Code: Select all

site:forums.linuxmint.com xed
As such, I needed to edit my rhythmdb.xml file. As I have many thousand of songs on my Media partition, this file about 32mb. (Had it also happen to playlists.xml, which is only 293kb).
I guess the problem is the file is too big and xed/gedit choke on it..? (does that problem happen with smaller files?)

Try "leafpad"!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Got to Preferences and change the theme to one you like. Or in the view menu you can change the highlighting mode to plaintext.
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

Flemur wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 am The search built into the forum is kinda useless; Internet search like this:

Code: Select all

site:forums.linuxmint.com xed
I did try internet search first, though I did not specifically tell it to search forums.linuxmint.com. I will remember to do that next time.
I guess the problem is the file is too big and xed/gedit choke on it..? (does that problem happen with smaller files?)
It also happened on a 293kb file.
Try "leafpad"!
I forgot about leafpad, thanks for the suggestion.
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:16 am Got to Preferences and change the theme to one you like. Or in the view menu you can change the highlighting mode to plaintext.
I had already tried both of those. Thanks for the suggestion though.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The fact that it happens in both xed and gedit makes it likely the issue actually like in the GtkSourceView library that both are built on that provide much of the functionality. Is it possible you could share the smaller file that this happens with?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

JosephM wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 pm The fact that it happens in both xed and gedit makes it likely the issue actually like in the GtkSourceView library that both are built on that provide much of the functionality. Is it possible you could share the smaller file that this happens with?
I could but unfortunately, Xed decided to make a liar of me as far as the smaller file goes. :( I tried to recreate the issue, but now Xed is showing that file correctly.

I was looking at the bigger file again and noticed something very weird in regards to the dark writing on the dark background.

There are 667678 lines in my rhythmbox.xml file. While scrolling through it, I noticed parts of it shows properly. So from line 1 to 230707, it has the weird dark writing on the dark background. For lines 230708 to 433474, the file actually shows in plain text with black writing on a white background, then lines 433475 to 667678 are back to the dark writing on the dark background.

I tried the previous suggestion of using Leafpad, and the file shows correctly in that editor.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

My guess is the syntax highlighting chokes on big files and that messes it all up.

My favourite text editor on Linux will always be SciTE btw. Xed must range somewhere near the bottom of the ranking, unfortunately, it's probably the slowest and most sluggish one of the bunch, with a bad workflow (lacks so many standard shortcuts). Try opening your 32MB xml file in SciTE, you'll probably get it fully loaded and highlighted about 100x-1000x faster than in xed (numbers pulled out of thin air but I'm likely lowballing it here...).
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:34 pm Try opening your 32MB xml file in SciTE, you'll probably get it fully loaded and highlighted about 100x-1000x faster than in xed (numbers pulled out of thin air but I'm likely lowballing it here...).
Thank you, that did indeed do the trick. I was able to open the file and have all the paths changed within 15 seconds, so now Rhythymbox sees all my music files in the correct location. Much more responsive than Xed or Leafpad.

While the issue with Xed did not get sorted, the issue I was trying to fix did.

This will definitely be my goto text editor going forward.

Return to “Software & Applications”