Are there any dangerous/vulnerable packages I should remove?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintuser998

Are there any dangerous/vulnerable packages I should remove?

Post by Mintuser998 »

I already un-installed Mono and Openjdk, which apparently was accidentally installed. I don't think I have Java, but there two Java packages of which I don't know whether I should get rid of. libhsql1.8.0-java : Java SQL database engine, and libservlet3.1-java : Servlet 3.1, JSP 2.3, EL 3.0 and Websocket 1.0 Java API classes. I know Javascript is different, I'm not talking about that. Is there anything that I should remove? Anything of any concern is of note to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmuserx4849

Re: Are there any dangerous/vulnerable packages I should remove?

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Mintuser998 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:16 pm I already un-installed Mono and Openjdk, which apparently was accidentally installed. I don't think I have Java, but there two Java packages of which I don't know whether I should get rid of. libhsql1.8.0-java : Java SQL database engine, and libservlet3.1-java : Servlet 3.1, JSP 2.3, EL 3.0 and Websocket 1.0 Java API classes. I know Javascript is different, I'm not talking about that. Is there anything that I should remove? Anything of any concern is of note to me.
Linux Mint installed from the standard repositories would not install "dangerous/vulnerable" packages. So not sure where you got your information. Run the LM Update Manager that supplies security fixes when available for all applications as necessary.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

You might want to check things out before removing them. For instance aptitude why mono-runtime shows that tomboy depends on it and aptitude why openjdk-8-jre shows icedtea. You could end up borking your system.
Mintuser998

Post by Mintuser998 »

I don't have icedtea or tomboy.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

greerd wrote:
You could end up borking your system.
Every time I installed Mint, one of the first things I did was remove mono, per forum member Pjotr's recommendation (link below, point 2.3).

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... o-and-Orca
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If you're scared of open source cross-platform languages/frameworks like mono and java based on those arguments then you also need to remove similar languages like e.g. python and perl. You should also remove shells like bash, sh, and even the Linux kernel. All of those can interpret malicious code.

Yes, that means going back to pen and paper. Don't hurt yourself with the pen though, better throw that away, too. And what about paper cuts...?!

/sarcasm

tl;dr: If you install malicious software to your system then the language it's written in really doesn't matter all that much.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

With Linux and no <violates forum rules> websites you are safe :mrgreen:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

gm10 wrote:
If you're scared of open source cross-platform languages/frameworks like mono and java based on those arguments then you also need to remove similar languages like e.g. python and perl. You should also remove shells like bash, sh, and even the Linux kernel. All of those can interpret malicious code.

Yes, that means going back to pen and paper. Don't hurt yourself with the pen though, better throw that away, too. And what about paper cuts...?!

/sarcasm
I don't think removing mono and icedtea warrants that much sarcasm. Mono comes from the Windows world, and everybody knows that java has more holes than Swiss cheese.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Schultz wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 pm
gm10 wrote:

/sarcasm
I don't think removing mono and icedtea warrants that much sarcasm. Mono comes from the Windows world, and everybody knows that java has more holes than Swiss cheese.
Windows world = non-argument
Everybody knows? The CVE database has exactly zero known vulnerabilities for the openjdk versions in the Mint 19 repositories.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

..."Hi guys, just installed Linux few days ago - should I remove Mono?"
  • yes
  • no
  • who cares
  • maybe
...and the winner is... :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”