sudo apt-get install samba samba-common python-glade2 system-config-samba

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
I can access the GUI by sudo

sudo system-config-samba
But I can't find it in the cinnamon menu
Using Mint 19
Last edited by OunceofCommonSense on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Samba and GUI

Post by altair4 »

system-config-samba is abandoned software.
It will not show up in the menu because if selected it will not run.
It will not run ( aside from the libuser issue ) because it is set up to run: gksu system-config-samba
There is no gksu in Ubuntu 18.04.

system-config-samba will eventually go away: Please remove system-config-samba from Ubuntu
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

OunceofCommonSense
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

That's disappointing. So there is no GUI interface for SAMBA?
MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

You mean other than the one in Nemo: Right click a file you own > Select Sharing Options? No.

Well .... OK ... there is another hiding under the fridge during daylight hours called gadmin-samba but:

** system-config-samba was written for samba version 3 and one of it's options will actually disable samba ( smbd ) from running.

** gadmin-samba was written for samba version 2. Many of its options are no longer functional and will post all kinds of errors.

** We are at samba version 4 - almost at version 5.

gadmin-samba is a destructive little application that will make a horrible mess of smb.conf. No one ... not in any forum .. will help you debug that thing. At least I won't.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

OunceofCommonSense
Level 3
Level 3

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. I merely want to reinstall SAMBA to deliver access of my Mint folders to my Win7 PC. I had done this with the GUI system-config-samba with my previous Mint 18.3 install.
Perhaps if it is not too much trouble you could point me in the direction of a good step by step install of SAMBA 4 or 5. The internet is littered with many directions but they all seem different from each other.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

You are already at samba ( the server package not system-config-samba ) version 4.

What is wrong with the Nemo method.

pbaumann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbaumann »

@altair4:
you asked what's "What is wrong with the Nemo method."

Well let me ask what's right with nemo?
Nemo is installed in the cinnamon edtion. Neither xfce nor mate installs nemo.
E.g. Mate edition uses caja and caja has no option for sharing files out of the box.

Bonus question: How to setup a SMB printserver using nemo?

For someone who's using Linux a long time it's no problem edit smb.conf, but for the an average user this will be a reason to stop trying Linux and revert to Windows.

Best wishes
Paul

OunceofCommonSense
Level 3
Level 3

Is there documentation on how to use the Nemo method?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

It's built into Nemo.

** Open Nemo - that is your file manager.

**Right click say your Documents folder > Sharing Options and you will get something that looks like this:
nemo-share.png
nemo-share.png (20.57 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
Click on all the boxes and select Create Share.

You will then get prompted to accept the system's suggestion that you change permissions of the shared folder:
nem0-share2.png
You just created a guest accessible samba share of your Documents folder.

MATE can do the same thing but it's missing a package: caja-share
XFCE can do it as well but you need to set it up.

OunceofCommonSense
Level 3
Level 3

Just a comment. This is posted on the official Mint site with comments as recently as 6 months ago
https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... nfig-samba

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

What's your point?

It will not show up in the menu and if it was in the menu it will not run.

Need some king of proof? Run:

cat /usr/share/applications/system-config-samba.desktop | grep Exec
This is the output: Exec=gksu system-config-samba
There is no gksu in Ubuntu 18.04 so there is no gksu in Mint 19.

You can still run it but you need to lauch it from the terminal as you did in your first post:

sudo -H system-config-samba

OunceofCommonSense
Level 3
Level 3

Thank You Altair for your help.

Return to “Software & Applications”