AV Bitdefender 7.7.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaime54

AV Bitdefender 7.7.1

Post by jaime54 »

Until the Linux Mint 18.3 there was no problem to install AV Bitdefender 7.7.1 But this time wit Linux Mint 19 there was an error message when installing the GUI.
It is asking for a Package: libpango1.0-0 which it is not installed.

How to solve the problem?

Please find the whole monitor messages

Code: Select all

Do you want to install BitDefender Antivirus Scanner GUI package ? (Y/n) Y
Installing BitDefender Antivirus Scanner GUI v7.7.1-1809 ...
Selecting previously unselected package bitdefender-scanner-gui.
(Reading database ... 274401 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack bitdefender-scanner-gui_7.7.1-1809_i386.deb ...
Unpacking bitdefender-scanner-gui (7.7.1-1809) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bitdefender-scanner-gui:
 bitdefender-scanner-gui depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.8-5); however:
  Package libpango1.0-0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package bitdefender-scanner-gui (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 bitdefender-scanner-gui
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: AV Bitdefender 7.7.1

Post by Pjotr »

jaime54 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:53 am Until the Linux Mint 18.3 there was no problem to install AV Bitdefender 7.7.1 But this time wit Linux Mint 19 there was an error message when installing the GUI.
It is asking for a Package: libpango1.0-0 which it is not installed.

How to solve the problem?
AV *is* the problem. Solve it by not installing it. In desktop Linux, AV makes your system *less* secure, not more secure, because AV introduces a dangerous vulnerability:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I agree, forger the AV software, it's unnecessary in Linux and potentially harmful.

I know some Linux geeks who've been running it on their personal machines for 25 years. I.e. since ALL distros had to be installed like Gentoo. Not one of them has ever used AV software in Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have been using Linux for 16 years and have never used an antivirus. And none of my Linux computers have ever been infected with any virus or malware, nor has the computer of any Linux user I know of. That would take in a lot of people (thousands), since I have been active on Linux forums the entire time I have been using Linux, and much of that time as a moderator or an admin. I won't say that it's impossible to get a virus on Linux, just that I have never seen it happen. Why do you want to run an antivirus program?

PS: I see that this is your first post here. Welcome aboard!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

Your home directory is indeed vulnerable for malware infections by visiting malicious websites.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

DrM wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:58 am Your home directory is indeed vulnerable for malware infections by visiting malicious websites.
Link to some incidents?
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:23 pm
DrM wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:58 am Your home directory is indeed vulnerable for malware infections by visiting malicious websites.
Link to some incidents?
I don't know any incidents about this. But see
Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

DrM wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:33 pm
Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:23 pm
Link to some incidents?
I don't know any incidents about this.
Neither do I. And I've been a full-time Linux desktop user since 2006 (without running any AV crud).
DrM wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:33 pmBut see
Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?
Unconvincing and incomplete.

As far as sending potentially infected files to Windows users is concerned: note that every good e-mail service nowadays, has AV on its servers. Particularly Gmail has better AV on its servers than you could possibly have. And there's also the great virustotal.com for checking files, which applies dozens of AV engines simultaneously. So why run local AV for that?

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in desktop Linux:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

To see a virus in linux is like seeing an UFO. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unidentif ... ing_object

PS. I have not seen either of them. :lol:
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I agree with most of what has been said about viruses. However, I am about to dive in the world of crypto currencies and lead to believe if you want to trade from desktop it is important to protect transactions from hackers. And this is were bit defender comes in.

I would appreciate feedback.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I agree with most of what has been said about viruses. However, I am about to dive in the world of crypto currencies and lead to believe if you want to trade from desktop it is important to protect transactions from hackers. And this is were bit defender comes in.

I would appreciate feedback.

BTW I am using cinimon 20.

siawacsh
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

siawacsh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 pm I agree with most of what has been said about viruses. However, I am about to dive in the world of crypto currencies and lead to believe if you want to trade from desktop it is important to protect transactions from hackers. And this is were bit defender comes in.
Don't fall for that snake oil. It won't protect you from anything; it only gives a warm fuzzy feeling to the AV believers.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I use an on-demand scanner before I share a file with anyone running Windows out of courtesy, or transfer it to my own machine running W10. I don't have an AV client installed on LMDE4 and never will again (I did years ago with Linux before learning it wasn't necessary).

I never trust email service providers to scan attachments. The scan if present on their servers will normally use one engine and database set. McAfee for example used by my ISP has a lower than average detection rate against current threats. Even Windows Defender scored higher in recent independent testing.

Virus Total checks files against multiple AV engines and databases. They are unbiased and have no financial motivation to declare files are infected or not to push an AV product.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

antikythera wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:58 am I use an on-demand scanner before I share a file with anyone running Windows out of courtesy, or transfer it to my own machine running W10. I don't have an AV client installed on LMDE4 and never will again (I did years ago with Linux before learning it wasn't necessary).

I never trust email service providers to scan attachments. The scan if present on their servers will normally use one engine and database set. McAfee for example used by my ISP has a lower than average detection rate against current threats. Even Windows Defender scored higher in recent independent testing.

Virus Total checks files against multiple AV engines and databases. They are unbiased and have no financial motivation to declare files are infected or not to push an AV product.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/
Tip: GMail also uses a batch of AV engines for scanning attachments, just like (Google-owned) Virus Total does for scanning files. :)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jaime54.

Sticking with the question about libpango1.0-0:
jaime54 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:53 amIt is asking for a Package: libpango1.0-0 which it is not installed.
libpango1.0-0 should be installable on Mint 19 from the official software repositories.
Please, open a terminal window.
Execute the following commands, one at a time, in the given order:
  • sudo apt-get update
  • apt-cache policy libpango1.0-0
    Please, post the text output, which the commandline will display.
  • In case libpango1.0-0 is available for installation, then you can install it by executing sudo apt-get install libpango1.0-0
HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 am Tip: GMail also uses a batch of AV engines for scanning attachments, just like (Google-owned) Virus Total does for scanning files. :)
Then their terms of service are out of date (my ISP isn't Google, GMail is one of the disposable email accounts I use though) :?
Chronicle Security Ireland Limited (“CSIL”), an Irish Limited Company with registered number 507502, the company that owns VirusTotal. Both VirusTotal and CSIL are owned by Chronicle LLC.
Google are Alphabet.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

antikythera wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:51 pm
Pjotr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 am Tip: GMail also uses a batch of AV engines for scanning attachments, just like (Google-owned) Virus Total does for scanning files. :)
Then their terms of service are out of date (my ISP isn't Google, GMail is one of the disposable email accounts I use though) :?
See:
Google makes use of multiple antivirus engines in Gmail, Drive, servers and workstations to help identify malware that may be missed by antivirus signatures.
https://gsuite.google.com/learn-more/se ... age-3.html
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Okay, while it doesn't particularly surprise me as they snap up such service providers all the time I wonder how long they've owned Chronicle LLC too then. Anyhow, thanks for the enlightening info, I think we'd better leave it there though before the topic goes further off an a tangent :lol:

It won't stop me using Virus Total :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”