Is there a browser supporting Microsoft Silverlight?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Caravaggio
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a browser supporting Microsoft Silverlight?

Post by Caravaggio » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi all,

A website that is vital to my job needs Microsoft Silverlight to run (...) and I am lost. I am currently using my Win partition every time I need to access said website, using the oldest version of Explorer possible. Needless to say, after weeks on Mint every time I boot up Win a part of me dies for a number of reasons.

I tried installing a version of Firefox that supposedly runs Silverlight, but I still can't manage to make it work, and I need help.
Is there a way for me to find a workaround this issue? Perhaps trying to install Explorer through Wine (which I never used before nor do I have any knowledge of it)?
Any help is much appreciated.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is there a browser supporting Microsoft Silverlight?

Post by Moem » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:53 pm

This article is not very recent but it might give you some pointers: https://www.noobslab.com/2014/04/pipeli ... e-for.html

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:56 pm

That link won't help if wanting to use Firefox. You used to be able to do this by running Silverlight in Wine and using the Pipelight browser plugin to connect to it. Pipelight is discontinued, though you could still download it (if you'd be willing to risk it), but it requires a web browser that uses (unsafe) NPAPI plugins and Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera no longer support those unsafe plugins for obvious reason. Possibly you may get it to work with one of the "let's make Firefox unsafe again" forks of old Firefox versions that still support NPAPI plugins. I wouldn't recommend this route as besides the concerns about those browser you'd be using a no longer maintained plugin that uses a unsafe plugin method.

Depending on what you need to do on that website, and if your computer could easily handle it (has at least 4 GB RAM), you could use VirtualBox to run Windows in a virtual machine on top of Linux Mint. Microsoft offers free test virtual machines for various Internet Explorer and Edge browser version: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/. Not sure if these come with Silverlight. You would otherwise need to install Windows in VirtualBox with your own activation code.

octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:30 pm

This blog post regarding running the Windows version of Firefox under Wine might help. It's about doing it to view DRM Flash, but could also solve the Silverlight problem.
Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit on Dell Inspiron N7110 Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M
Mint 19 XFCE 64bit on System76 Pangolin Intel Core 2 duo
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014

whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Didn't Microsoft give the ax to Silverlight a while back?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:15 am

They are patching it till end of 2021 (end of 2020 for Windows 7). But yeah, no further development only patching. Looks to be only supported on IE 11: https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverligh ... n-SL5.html

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:30 am

the standard alternative to Silverlight was by using Moonlight ..
but, that's also an abandoned project :o
:)
you could find it in Package Manager AKA synaptic,, but not any more.

or even Pipelight did work, sometimes:
You can install pipelight directly from their ppa:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends pipelight-mul…
but - it's all a bit risky & could cause issues with your Web Browser ie: firefox
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Caravaggio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Caravaggio » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Thank you all for your replies, I am still looking into this and genuinely wondering whether all this hassle is actually worth it -just to take work around with me-.
I do appreciate your efforts, you guys are great.

Return to “Software & Applications”