Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dener3id
Level 1
Level 1

Blender bugs

Post by dener3id » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 am

The build of blender included in Linux mint is seemingly messed up, I'm not sure weather or not it's ubuntu or mint.some of the addons are broken. I'd like to know if other people are having the same issue both on ubuntu and mint before I report it. the build on blender.org works just fine, so it's not an issue with that.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Blender bugs

Post by xenopeek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 am

Be specific please. Which Linux Mint are you on, what is your Blender version and what are the issues you're having.

Mind that from Linux Mint 18.3 onwards you'll find 2 versions of Blender in Software Manager for installation. The package from the Ubuntu repositories and the flatpak from Flathub.

dener3id
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dener3id » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 am

2.79b, .deb, mint 19.

caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Got problems here too on Mint 19 Cinnamon with Blender 2.79b.

The blender version is from Synaptic Package Manager. The node Wrangler addon is not working and there is no option to change the Cycles Compute Device in the user preferences to GPU Rendering. I checked to see if CUDA was installed on the Mint system and it appears to be.

That's as far as I got checking it out. There may be other problems but without GPU rendering I can't check much further.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/

dener3id
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dener3id » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:23 pm

dener3id wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm
caz wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm
Got problems here too on Mint 19 Cinnamon with Blender 2.79b.

The blender version is from Synaptic Package Manager. The node Wrangler addon is not working and there is no option to change the Cycles Compute Device in the user preferences to GPU Rendering. I checked to see if CUDA was installed on the Mint system and it appears to be.

That's as far as I got checking it out. There may be other problems but without GPU rendering I can't check much further.
I actually forgot to mention that I can't change the cycles compute device ether. works fine in the version from the site though. So it's not a driver issue been there before though.

dener3id
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dener3id » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Is this an issue with mint or the ubuntu upstream sources?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:31 am

Blender comes from the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories (or Flathub, currently having the same version) on Linux Mint 19. It's in the Ubuntu universe repository which means the package was imported from Debian and repackaged for Ubuntu by volunteer maintainers but it's not supported by Ubuntu.

I don't know enough about Blender to be able to help answer whether this is an issue in the Blender version, an issue with the packaging, an issue with the libraries it depends on or something you could solve on your end through configuration. I'd suggest trying to do an Internet search for "Ubuntu 18.04 + whatever terms you think best describes the issue" and limit search results to past year.

You could also try to uninstall it and install it anew in Software Manager from the Flathub category. That way you always get the latest stable release and it is packaged by another team.

Return to “Software & Applications”