Nvidia driver crash my Linux mint 18.2's Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shawn

Nvidia driver crash my Linux mint 18.2's Cinnamon

Post by shawn »

Setup:
Nvidia driver: nvidia-396 version 396.24.02
GPU: GTX1060

My Cinnamon keeps crashing with this Nvidia driver.

Code: Select all

uname -a: Linux sn-N8xxEP6 4.13.0-45-generic #50~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 30 11:18:27 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Appreciate help with steps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Nvidia driver crash my Linux mint 18.2's Cinnamon

Post by richyrich »

Un-official drivers installed without Mint Driver Manager will do that sometimes. :(
Did you have problems with the available drivers in Driver manager?
shawn

Re: Nvidia driver crash my Linux mint 18.3's Cinnamon

Post by shawn »

I have also tried:
nvidia-390.67
nvidia-384.130

These drivers crash my Cinnamon as well.

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau v1:1.0.12 is the only one that don't crash...

I have just upgraded to Linux Mint 18.3 hoping it will resolve the problem, but, no luck.

Setup:
Nvidia driver: nvidia-396 version 396.24.02
GPU: GTX1060

uname -a: Linux sn-N8xxEP6 4.13.0-45-generic #50~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 30 11:18:27 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Have you tried using "nomodeset" at boot-up? I have a Nvidia 750 Ti adapter, using the 384.130 driver, and I have to use nomodeset or else Cinnamon will crash almost every time at log-in. You can try that to see if it works, following these instructions:
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php
Scroll down to "Solving freezes during the boot sequence" (ignore the sentence "With these drivers the system should now be stable and you no longer need to use "nomodeset".", which is not true for my system, as I have to use nomodeset at every boot).

If that solves your problem, then you can make "nomodeset" permanent so you don't have to enter it at every boot. Edit (as Root) the file /etc/default/grub and add "nomodeset" (without the quotes) to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. Make sure it goes within the quote marks and if there is anything else like "quiet splash" just leave a space, for example GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset". Then open a terminal and enter this command:

sudo update-grub
From then on, every boot will have nomodeset.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
joyang90

Post by joyang90 »

I'm having the save problem but using "nomodeset" suggested by user lipstick work on me. Thanks
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

had issues with nvidia-340 it could not hold settings with my monitor/tv setup. in my case it turned out to be that the xorg nouveau driver wasn't removed when installing nvidia-340 from driver manager. but once removed nouveau i had no tear, movies and web played pretty good. i didn't even have to resort to any no_tear tricks. i am using kernel 4.17.4 not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
shawn

Post by shawn »

I tried

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
"nouveau.noaccel=1"
"nomodeset"
"noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll"
And created blacklist-nouveau.conf with

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
But, still crashing... god
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I do not use Cinnamon. From what i have gathered from other readings is certain applets can make Cin crash. Try removing applets one at a time and rebooting. There are plenty of posts involving Cin crashing.
MrBollie

Post by MrBollie »

I'm using ARCH instead of Mint with the very same configuration. But perhaps what I recently found out might be of some help.

X crashes when you use bumblebeed with bbswitch when the nvidia card is in status OFF. On other laptops, it sometimes help to fidle around with the acpi_osi boot params until you find a setting that allows proper booting. So far, I haven't found any and have set PMMethod=off in my bumblebeed.conf

Cheers
Bollie

Return to “Software & Applications”