Kmymoney 5 locale on Tara Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bob-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Kmymoney 5 locale on Tara Cinnamon

Post by bob-mint »

Hello I have an issue with Kmymoney just installed on Tara Cinnamon. My system locale is set to Ireland English and the date should be shown as 10/07/2018. But it keeps the US format 07/10/2018.
I don't have this problem on other systems with the same configuration (Fedora, Arch and even Ubuntu with cinnamon they all have Kmymoney behaving correctly).
Any hint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Intel NUC D54250WYK (Haswell) Core i5-4250U, Dual-Core, 1.3 GHz
bob-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kmymoney 5 locale on Tara Cinnamon

Post by bob-mint »

Bump!
no one using kmymoney on linux mint?
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

I don't use it as my primary but for some old closed accounts so ignore me as ignorant if what I say isn't relevant.

In Kmymoney - did you go to Settings Menu, select KDE Language Setting and then go to the tab country and set that and then go to the Date/Time tab and adjust as needed?
hubbu

Post by hubbu »

Hi, although I don't even know what kmymoney is, I thought I write here as there seems not to be anyone interested in the date format in the half of Internet I browsed since yesterday ;) not recently at least as I found couple of very old (which translates to useless in that case) posts.

Living in Europe I got used to dd/mm/yyyy or yyyy/mm/dd format. There used to be en_DK and en_IE locale which did pretty much what I needed, but they don't any more. In English the cinnamon calendar applet shows always "Month day" no matter what LC_TIME (and others) I have set (the little popup 'onmouse' as well as the calendar on click). LM 18.3 does the same, btw. The only way I found on LM19, is to change the language to some European one. While I could do it, it's not what I want.

It seems there is something hardcoded to the locale and whatever you do it will always show up in "month day year", no matter British, Irish or Danish setting.
It was a problem 5, 10 and more years ago, but nobody seems to care...

Anyway, is your calendar applet behaving the same way? What about other OS's you mentioned?
Also is there any place, any forum or a workgroup to ask about locale and what is the logic in it? It seems to be language depending although it says "locale" which suggests localisation... Is there really no English speaking country using dd/mm/yyyy?
bob-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob-mint »

mwbworld wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 am In Kmymoney - did you go to Settings Menu, select KDE Language Setting and then go to the tab country
Sorry but where did you see a KDE Language in Kmymoney?? there's no such a menu.
mwbworld wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 am Anyway, is your calendar applet behaving the same way?
I have no problem with my calendar applet settings. Just go to Cinnamon settings /Preferences /Languages and set your "Region" to whatever you want. I set it "English Ireland" and dates display correctly dd/mm/yyyy on gtk applications.
My problem is that Kmymoney is kde software and its settings are nowhere to be found.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

bob-mint wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:06 pm
mwbworld wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 am In Kmymoney - did you go to Settings Menu, select KDE Language Setting and then go to the tab country
Sorry but where did you see a KDE Language in Kmymoney?? there's no such a menu.
mwbworld wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:06 am Anyway, is your calendar applet behaving the same way?
I have no problem with my calendar applet settings. Just go to Cinnamon settings /Preferences /Languages and set your "Region" to whatever you want. I set it "English Ireland" and dates display correctly dd/mm/yyyy on gtk applications.
My problem is that Kmymoney is kde software and its settings are nowhere to be found.
I'll try one more time. I'm in KMyMoney Version 4.6.6 under the settings menu (menu just before the help menu in my version) four items down says "KDE Language settings" so there is definitely such a menu in the version I'm using. In that menu you can set the country and date format. LITERALLY the menu is right there.
UPDATE: I dug up the latest version (5) which doesn't have that handy menu that the version I'm using has so it looks like they removed it from whatever version you are using. You might also ask at the KDE community forums https://forum.kde.org/index.php

Sorry I wasn't able to help more.
hubbu

Post by hubbu »

bob-mint wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:06 pm
Strange. That's what I did in the first place, but I'm doing something wrong, as it is still mm/dd (in red on the pics).
Anyway, thanks for your time.
bob-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob-mint »

mwbworld wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:45 pm UPDATE: I dug up the latest version (5) which doesn't have that handy menu
Thanks! as you noticed kMM 5 has not that "handy menu". In fact it's supposed to follow GTK system settings, and I have no problems in other systems. The problem is in LINUX MINT TARA
bob-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob-mint »

hubbu wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 pm Strange. That's what I did in the first place, but I'm doing something wrong, as it is still mm/dd (in red on the pics).
Sorry for misunderstanding, you're right about the "calendar applet", but all applications (except KDE) show the time correctly (thunderbird, libreoffice calc, ...). If the date shown on the panel bothers you, I'd suggest to try another applet like "World Clock Calendar", where you can set the date format as you wish, see screenshot.
clock.jpg
EDIT: but I realize that in your screenshot the date is also dd/mm 15 July and not mm/dd. So what's wrong?
hubbu

Post by hubbu »

bob-mint wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:05 am but I realize that in your screenshot the date is also dd/mm 15 July and not mm/dd. So what's wrong?
'date' in terminal shows European style locale. I'm using the "World Clock Calendar", because it's more customisable. What is in the corner is the custom date format (green arrow). There is no way to change what is shown "onmouse" (yellow popup; red arrow) or "onclick" (calendar; red question mark). So sometimes it's dd/mm (e.g. terminal), sometimes mm/dd. It is the inconsistency which is killing me - sometimes left is left, but sometimes left is right without any explanation. Alltogether the locale is anything but... consistent, so it cannot be trusted, IMHO. And I have no idea where and whom to ask...
bob-mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob-mint »

hubbu wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 am There is no way to change what is shown "onmouse" (yellow popup; red arrow) or "onclick" (calendar; red question mark).
Yes you are right, but this is not a Linux Mint issue, I checked Fedora, Arch with Cinnamon and the problem is the same. But in Fedora and Arch KDE apps like Kmymoney show the date correctly, Linux Mint does not.
hubbu

Post by hubbu »

bob-mint wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:48 am I checked Fedora, Arch with Cinnamon and the problem is the same.
Thank you sooo much. It means it's really deep inside. I'm sorry I couldn't help you with kmymoney. Which for that matter seems to be a mess-up as well btw. (I installed it and it shows the same inconsistency)

Return to “Software & Applications”