Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
crustycurmudgeon
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo cannot see network computers after Mint 19 upgrade

Post by crustycurmudgeon »

Good day, I recently upgrade from 18.3 to 19 via the process documented on the Mint website. the upgrade went beautifully with one exception. When I navigate to "Network" using Nemo, I can see the "Windows Network", double-clicking on that brings me to a blank screen. Prior to the upgrade, this shoudl have presented me with several different computers within the "Windows Network". I've looked at smb.conf on the local machine and I see no changes from the before-upgrade copy of the file.

Adding to the confusion:
  • I can ping all network computers from the linux machine without error.
  • I can connect the to all network computer shares using "Connect to Server..." in nemo.
  • Running smbtree in terminal reveals all of the network computers that should be there.
I'm stumped as to what is preventing these systems from showing up in Nemo.

Suggestions?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Nemo cannot see network computers after Mint 19 upgrade

Post by altair4 »

Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

crustycurmudgeon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo cannot see network computers after Mint 19 upgrade

Post by crustycurmudgeon »

altair4 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:59 am
Please see: Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes
Thanks. I had read that and tried it with no joy. This is completely ridiculous from start to finish. The fact that we have to break network browsing functionality in order to upgrade anything is just plain BS, especially if the primary reason is to accommodate microsoft :x .

My solution was to restore Mint 18.3 with TimeShift. Worked like a charm. Now network browsing works like it's supposed to... 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”