PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
redlined

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by redlined »

Rtep wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:27 pm
I'm desperate! I'm willing to pay anybody who will deliver .deb package from pgl-2.3.1.tar.gz. Please anyone help.I need install Peer Guardian on LM 19.1 mate. Thanx for any help in advance.
hi Rtep!

Did you attempt to follow the xenopeek compile and build instructions I linked to?

I did just reinstall LM19.1 yesterday, so will need to reinstall all the packages required to build locally, and in order to do this I will need the build instructions from pgl on how to build from source, but I'll give a go for you- free of charge. So if you provide me link to source then I'll look into it further.
User avatar
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7332
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher
Contact:

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by smurphos »

You can download the xenial debs from https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... ld/8309719 (links is for 64bit) and they install fine in 19.1.

In this order install with gdebi (links are for 64bit architecture)

https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb
https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb
https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb

However the application is crippled due to gksu not being available in 19.x. I do not recommend installing an old version of gksu for this purpose as the security vulnerability that got gksu canned is one that could potentially be exploitable in the context of how Peerguardian uses it.

Instead create a pkexec wrapper called gksudo as outlined here viewtopic.php?p=1563720#p1563720 and in Peerguardian's options add the path to the wrapper as the sudo front end. I've tested briefly and it all appears to work OK.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by Rtep »

Hi redlined. Here is the link to source: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peerguardian/
Just click on Download. I appreciate your offer very much. Please let me know how we can connect.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by Rtep »

Hi redlined. Yes I did follow your link. I also downloaded a few books about Linux....I think maybe it is my English as a second language, maybe is just way they explaining "how-to". They are presuming that person who are reading theirs steps have some knowledge, which I do not have. Maybe is my dumbness...I tried a few, with no success. I definitely want and NEED to learn compilation process, but I didn't found real step by step (for dummies) instruction so far. Thanx from helping me. That's mean a lot for me. Let me know how we can connect if you want to send me that PG .deb file.
I think the best way is "Send anywhere" application. Other way is TeanViewer.
User avatar
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: United States

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Rtep wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:23 pm
For me data collection is violation of 4th.
Yes - if it's the US federal government (or a state/local one) that is doing the collecting. Think of the US Constitution as a contract (so to speak) between you and the government - not everyone/everything else.

Otherwise, when a business clearly posted "No Firearms Allowed on the Premises" signs, you could walk in with a pistol on your hip and when you were told to leave, smile and claim that your Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms trumped the owner's property rights. Et cetera.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by Rtep »

This is not the place to discus politics. BTW one of iblocklist is protecting me from US GOVERNMENT spying.I do not agree with you, but I'm respecting your thoughts.
End of story., Now back to Peer Guardian.
redlined

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by redlined »

Rtep wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:46 am
Hi redlined. Here is the link to source: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peerguardian/
Just click on Download. I appreciate your offer very much. Please let me know how we can connect.
hi Rtep!

I took a look around and noticed first there is not a very good dependencies list (at least not easy to figure out from readme)

then I saw this in Discussions (and found you there :mrgreen:

How to make PGL work in ubuntu 18.04 (linux mint 19)
Install the gksu/gksudo PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mark-pcnetspec/gksu
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install gksu
This recent and on-going thread tells more about the issue with gksu
which brings my volunteering to compile and build the project to an abrupt end because I will not install any gksu package as it is vulnerable to remote exploit over network :cry:

good news is, smurphos has explained the manual way to install a working pgl using .deb packages which is just download and double-click to run those 3 in the order posted then follow the workaround for gksu by using a pkexec wrapper described in his other link.

and that should get you up and running!
User avatar
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: United States

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Rtep wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:32 pm
This is not the place to discus politics. BTW one of iblocklist is protecting me from US GOVERNMENT spying.I do not agree with you, but I'm respecting your thoughts.
I was merely stating a fact. You may choose to disagree with any fact you like :lol: , including that one. But I do take your point, and - while facts are not open to debate, it is still technically "political," in that it has something to do with government. So does Mint, lol, since it has parts of SELinux in it - but now I'm just reaching, lol. BUT... If I wasn't trying to follow the spirit of the rules here, I might be asking how much protection stuff like that which is being discussed in this thread would offer from "the government" when "the government" - specifically, the United States National Security Agency ( :!: ) - created those kernel patches in the first place, and that particular agency is somewhat known for wanting back doors into other people's creations, so it's a pretty safe bet that the people in it would be sure to insert one into THEIR OWN work. Which, all "politics" aside, reminds me of an old saying about how wise it isn't to purchase your locks from a burglar :roll: .

I'll go back to wondering why the "hosts" thing isn't sufficient for a "blocker" now.

I did (or think I did) see a comment that the hosts file only worked for "named" http addresses, like http://this_can_be_blocked.org but not ones that use IP address numbers (instead of going through a DNS). Is this a true thing, or did I misread? Because I was under the impression that if I added http://123.45.225.1, that it would block communication with that server. But I admit that I am pretty ignorant about how the hosts thing actually works. It just seems to me that the hosts file should be acted on before one's computer sends out a lookup request to a DNS, in which case it shouldn't matter which form the Internet address takes.

But, again, I cannot claim any great knowledge of the thing, so I could be incorrect in my assumption. IDK.

If the hosts file doesn't work that way, I should be installing some of those blacklists, too. But now I wonder who creates those lists, how/why are we supposed to trust those people, and why are we supposed to assume that such lists are in any way "complete?" If they are not complete, doesn't that merely give one the false impression that one is secure? Better to have no blacklist and just depend on reasonable and healthy paranoia - to wit, lock one's system down and use a whitelist of one's own creation, adding ONLY those addresses that the user knows(?!) is safe, as and when user feels that it is necessary to do so. IMHO.

The more I think about this stuff, the less safe I feel :? .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by Rtep »

MintDevManiac, best think for you will be to try PeerGuargian. Test it, you'll see. Peer Guardian pass my test "in flying colors". Every time in those years I'm running it. Thanx for your thoughts.
dlutchen
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by dlutchen »

I followed this whole thread to the letter and everything seems to be working but upon start, I received this error...

https://i.imgur.com/GK415QP.jpg

and when I click restart

https://i.imgur.com/Ky52TOF.jpg

But when I go back and look I see a growing incoming and outgoing list
User avatar
[Beefie]
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:08 pm
Location: VA

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by [Beefie] »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:31 am
You can download the xenial debs from https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... ld/8309719 (links is for 64bit) and they install fine in 19.1.

In this order install with gdebi (links are for 64bit architecture)

https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb
https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb
https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb

However the application is crippled due to gksu not being available in 19.x. I do not recommend installing an old version of gksu for this purpose as the security vulnerability that got gksu canned is one that could potentially be exploitable in the context of how Peerguardian uses it.

Instead create a pkexec wrapper called gksudo as outlined here viewtopic.php?p=1563720#p1563720 and in Peerguardian's options add the path to the wrapper as the sudo front end. I've tested briefly and it all appears to work OK.
Needing a bit more help. I downloaded the files and installed them. However, I'm having trouble following the ones in the link you posted. I ran the 3 lines posted and relogged. I'm clearly overlooking or missing something. If you could possibly post exactly what to run so I can see what I'm missing it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
User avatar
SeanBest
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Front Royal, VA

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by SeanBest »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:31 am
You can download the xenial debs from https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... ld/8309719 (links is for 64bit) and they install fine in 19.1.

In this order install with gdebi (links are for 64bit architecture)

https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb
https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb
https://launchpad.net/~jre-phoenix/+arc ... _amd64.deb

However the application is crippled due to gksu not being available in 19.x. I do not recommend installing an old version of gksu for this purpose as the security vulnerability that got gksu canned is one that could potentially be exploitable in the context of how Peerguardian uses it.

Instead create a pkexec wrapper called gksudo as outlined here viewtopic.php?p=1563720#p1563720 and in Peerguardian's options add the path to the wrapper as the sudo front end. I've tested briefly and it all appears to work OK.
Installed the 3 packages. Ran the 3 commands in the link posted, but I'm stilling having trouble getting it working. Still throws the gksu error when it opens. Could you post the commands so I can see what I'm missing? Thanks in advance!
User avatar
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7332
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher
Contact:

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by smurphos »

SeanBest wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:52 pm
Installed the 3 packages. Ran the 3 commands in the link posted, but I'm stilling having trouble getting it working. Still throws the gksu error when it opens. Could you post the commands so I can see what I'm missing? Thanks in advance!
When Peerguardian opens, click through the error message then Options > Settings, and specify the full path to your fake gksudo command as the sudo front-end.

Image
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
User avatar
SeanBest
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Front Royal, VA

Re: PGL, Peerguardian Linux and Linux MInt 19

Post by SeanBest »

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:57 pm
SeanBest wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:52 pm
Installed the 3 packages. Ran the 3 commands in the link posted, but I'm stilling having trouble getting it working. Still throws the gksu error when it opens. Could you post the commands so I can see what I'm missing? Thanks in advance!
When Peerguardian opens, click through the error message then Options > Settings, and specify the full path to your fake gksudo command as the sudo front-end.

Image
Prefect! Made my night!
Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”