Mint 19 Cinnamon: Wine menus have disappeared

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Namf_Mint

Mint 19 Cinnamon: Wine menus have disappeared

Post by Namf_Mint »

I am some other people have this problem having upgraded (via an in-place upgrade, at least on my part) to Mint 19 Cinnamon. .exe files do not run via Wine by default, there are no Wine menus in the MintMenu and Nemo's 'open with' has no wine option. However, the underlying Wine functionality is still present, in that PlayOnLinux (which I've since uninstalled) allows one to run Wine, and

Code: Select all

wincfg
works.

We'd like our Wine functionality back, please. Can anyone advise? I haven't found a bug reported for this on the Mint bugtracker (and I don't fancy creating one because I've opened enough already).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gavsrob

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon: Wine menus have disappeared

Post by Gavsrob »

I can second that. Although I had uninstalled wine. I tried to reinstall. It was last there working in mint 18.something then I upgraded to 19. No joy trying to reinstall as no menu appears and playonlinx says it crashes in its invisible background role. I have tried software manager, purge, delete .wine folder, terminal installation. I tried them all a few times. I'm not an expert by a long shot... BUT...something is broke!
Namf_Mint

Post by Namf_Mint »

Here is the fix, adapted from here.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
wget -qO- https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ artful main'
sudo apt-update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
No need to reboot.
Gavsrob

Post by Gavsrob »

Thanks for the info
All commands seemed to be accepted.
"apt-update" should be "apt update"
However... there is still no joy on getting a menu to appear.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Gavsrob wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 am Thanks for the info
All commands seemed to be accepted.
"apt-update" should be "apt update"
However... there is still no joy on getting a menu to appear.
read wrong nvm
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Gavsrob

Post by Gavsrob »

Well this is embarrassing! I have found the menu items.
What you have to do is edit the menu. All the items start out hiding away for some bizarre unfathomable reason.
Perhaps it is because they refused to disappear on the first uninstall? - I can't remember.
Once you check them they appear under the "other" menu now.

I tried notepad, just for a test run... All the menu items retreated into obscurity once more! Only one item remains - wine windows program loader - it does nothing at all.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

I assume the explanation is this, why installing Wine itself does no longer create the application submenu Wine, where Winecfg, Wine Explorer and Editor Notepad were offered:
Installing WineHQ packages - some differences in the WineHQ ones (=packages) wrote:Menu items are not created for Wine's builtin programs (winecfg, etc.), and if you are upgrading from a distro package that had added them, they will be removed. You can recreate them yourself using your menu editor.
Although the text seems to suggest this changed behaviour were limited to the genuine WineHQ packages, I observed the same phenomenon, when installing Wine 3.0.1 from the official Ubuntu repos on Ubuntu 18.04 (Mint 19).

Only after I had installed the first Windows applications through Wine, the Wine submenu would be displayed, offering exactly the launcher items which the installed application brings along.

No idea, why this changed behaviour. No reasons given.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”