Use of Linux Mint Camera.app

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Use of Linux Mint Camera.app

Post by wpshooter »

Can the Camera.app included in Linux Mint be used to import
photos from a cell/smart phone to the Linux Mint hard drive ?

I know that it can be used to do so from a regular digital camera, just
wondering if it works on cell phone also.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
kukamuumuka

Re: Use of Linux Mint Camera.app

Post by kukamuumuka »

Camera application like Caja or Nemo?
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:53 am Camera application like Caja or Nemo?
My understand is that those are file managers not photo import applications.

I am asking about "camera.app" as found under synaptic.

Or are you saying that caja or memo will recognize a cell phone (hardware) when connected to the computer ?

Thanks.

Never mind, I see that the camera or phone is recognize just as any other disk storage device.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I've always declined any offer of a digital photo import tool or "wizard" upon connecting a device such as a cell phone; just use the file manager (in my case usually Dolphin or Nemo) to copy the latest ones to my machines. I'm always a bit worried that these import tools might alter the original content in some way (i.e. auto-rotate etc.). I want to copy them exactly as they are, for archival purposes. Any modifications are saved as separate files.

With my DSLR it's easier and a lot quicker to put the card in the computer's SD slot.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I had some difficulty at first trying to transfer photos and video from my Android phone to my computer. I plug the phone in and it is recognized (icon pops up on the desktop) and it is shown as a mounted device in Nemo, but there are no files listed for the device. Finally, I figured out that I have to open the notification area at the top of the phone screen, where there is a message:

Code: Select all

USB charging this device
Tap for more options
Upon tapping, this screen appears:

Code: Select all

Use USB to
* Charge this device
  Transfer files
  Transfer photos (PTP)
  Use device as MIDI
After selecting "Transfer photos (PTP)", and reselecting the phone in the bar on the left side of the Nemo screen, now I can see the files on the phone and transfer them, just like from any other USB device. Simple enough, but it sure wasn't obvious to me.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

slipstick wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am Finally, I figured out that I have to open the notification area at the top of the phone screen, where there is a message:
This is quite common. On my BlackBerry, I get the options "USB Drive", "Sync Media" & "Charge Only" appear, quite briefly, when connecting; I've yet to try "Sync Media". Note some phones deny access to internal storage & only allow one to access an added memory card (older Samsung cell phones like the B2710). Note in this case I can still see the internal filesystem contents via commandline, just not via a GUI filemanager.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

slipstick wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 amFinally, I figured out that I have to open the notification area at the top of the phone screen
When I first got my Android phone several years ago, it didn't require doing that. But an update changed that. :cry:
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Bigs

Post by Bigs »

Quick point - NOT all USB cables are capable of transferring data.

Some are purely for charging, and there's no real way of telling the difference. I just tried on my new install of 18.3 and at first it didn't do anything at all. Then I remembered the cable thing, found a different cable I already marked with a D for data, tried that and immediately it asked if I wanted to charge or transfer data?

B
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Bigs wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am NOT all USB cables are capable of transferring data.
This is true, but it's also the case that some phones are fussy even with fully-wired USB cables. My old BlackBerry is one of them; it refuses to charge or connect when using some cables which do work with other devices. Even the really short ones I have, but those are flat ribbons (not twisted cores in round sheath as is usually the case), which may be part of the problem.

Return to “Software & Applications”