Wine install Mint 19 Mate

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Relative
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wine install Mint 19 Mate

Post by Relative »

Thoroughly agree with the two previous posters. I continued from my last post and just tried to install wine32. It indicated 89 additional packages would be installed and had a large list of Recommended and Suggested packages. Went ahead and installed wine32 and started into the Recommended list. That resulted in additional Recommended and Suggested for several of the packages. This is a joke.

On a different laptop I had tried using the winehq installation sequence with no joy. Machine was totally screwed up and i re-installed 19 from scratch on it. It sits with no wine installation attempts on it I will wait with that one until I see something positive in the forum that doesn't require the hobby approach.

Several individuals that come to me for advice on Mint have asked about 19 and I reply by telling them to stay with 17.3 or 18.3 if it is running well as advised by Clem in his blog. Every one of them uses wine - primarily to support Lotus files - and they cannot change that for now. Two went ahead with 19 before asking me but after they couldn't get wine working. I helped them restore to 17.3 and told them to wait.

Scanning through other forums for various Linux releases, it seems that no current Linux release that I can find has a working Wine without going through the hobby route. Not sure that that is even successful. At this point I will suffer with bringing up Windows to get Lotus work done and wait for better info on the forum from an administrator or from Clem.

I think this problem is big enough it should be officially addressed.

Mike
Mate 21.3 - MacBookPro2,1, MacBook2,1
Mate 21.3 - ThinkPad L430, ThinkPad T430, Dell N7110, iMac8.1, Toshiba A215
Mate 19.3 - (32-bit version) Old home-built P4 desktop.
Raspbian - Pi3 & Pi4.
All except P4 machine run cancer research 24/7.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i feel the frustration ... this is how it looks in arch linux. ok a bit offtopic but never had issues in arch. i chose to stay with wine-3.01 because it plays my old wine game much smoother than any later versions (chicken invaders 5) I can choose to upgrade or downgrade with very little effort to test all versions of wine provided in repos

here's what my pamac shows when i search for wine (pamac is basically the same thing as synaptic, and yes i choose to stay with the old version of pamac manager)

there are three basic things to install: wine, wine-mono and winetricks. i don't need wine-gecko but it's there. creating a winearch32 is the same as ubuntu commands which is what i use.

if for some reason i need to change the wine version i would just open terminal and search for downgrade wine

i would have a choice of whatever versions are left in official repos and can use the same command to test a new version. the highlighted is what i have installed and the downgrade would take the whole wine package as one command, meaning i would have to do nothing else.

ok i know ubuntu packaging is different than .rpm <<< suse and other rpm users or .pkg.tar.xz <<< arch related distros, but why can't wine be made simpler in ubuntu? not sure.
Last edited by trytip on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I tried truesarang's method from Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:44 pm on page 1 of this thread and it worked fine to install Wine properly on my test box with the new Ver. 2 of Mint 19 MATE. I hope that in Mint 19.1 and succeeding releases that this problem with installing Wine will be simplified so that it can be installed with a few clicks through Synaptic. It should not be this difficult and never was in the past!
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I've used Wine for two years and never had a problem installing it from either Synaptic Manager or Software Manager.

All that changed the other day when I tried to install it on Cinnamon 19...it wont. :x I did a clean install of Cinnamon 19 on a spare HDD...Graphics Card...updates installed with no trouble. Opened Software Manager only to find Wine has been removed...why Mint Team ?

Went to Synaptic Package Manager...type anything Wine but get..."Could not apply changes...fix broken packages first" :x what broken packages...it's a clean install. :evil:

Went to WineHQ and tried several ways to install from there with the Terminal...but all I get is...The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 3.0.2~bionic)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. :x :x

I created a Snapshot with Timeshift before I tried to install Wine in case I stuffed up...after the first failed attempt...I did a restore and tried to install Wine again but got the same result...no Wine. I'm now back on Cinnamon 18.3 where Wine works...I hope this problem is fixed soon. :D Clem did say if you don't need to install 19 don't...now I know why.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
BorrowedWifi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BorrowedWifi »

Ok, here's my own experience with it, trying to figure it out and get it running, test bed Mint 19 Mate in a VirtualBox vm under Win7.

Found the instructions below, in this thread, and have excerpted it per my own experience.

What comes below follows my removing the borked initial attempt at getting Wine into Mint 19 via the Package Manager, searching for "wine" and then doing the complete removal steps.

Cannot thank truesarang enough for figuring out all the hard parts, without which figuring, none of what I tried would have had a snowball's chance in hell of ever working.

Ok, here we go:

Post by truesarang » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 pm

1. sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

2. wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key

3. sudo apt-key add Release.key

4. sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

5. sudo apt-get update

6. if you want to get stable version: sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
if you want to get develpment version: sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
if you want to get staging version: sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging

7. WineARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine wineboot (this will initiate environment for wine, if you want win64 change value win32 to win64)

if you somehow massed up you can always do sudo rm -rf ~/.wine and do above command again to initiate it.

8. sudo apt-get install winetricks (winetricks is useful when you need to install windows library,etc)

good luck!

Last edited by truesarang on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed all steps as best I could.

Guessed at "...winehq-stable" option in step 6 which gave three separate options and it worked.

Guessed at inserting "win64" option in step 7, and here we go.

Terminal contents until stop:

$ WineARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine wineboot
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/qqz/.wine'
0012:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
0012:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
0012:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
0012:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
0012:err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
0014:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
0014:err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
0014:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
0014:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
0014:err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002

At stop, got familiar-looking boxes similar to, or maybe even exactly the same, as the boxes I got with wine installations using previous versions of Mint (17 & 18) doing it with the Software Manager in the past.

First box (Title bar "Wine") says "The Wine configuration in /home/qqz/.wine is being updated, please wait...

Second box (Title bar "Wine Mono Installer") says "Wine could not find a wine-mono package with is needed for .NET applications to work correctly. Wine can automatically download and install it for you. Note: it is recommended to use your distribution's packages instead. See https://wiki.winehq.org/Mono for details." This box has two buttons, "Cancel" and "Install"

While copying this to this text document, the terminal timed out. Gah.

Clicked on "Install" in the second box (both boxes continued happily sitting right there, even after the terminal timed out).

Similar box for Gecko came up, also hit "Install"

Second Gecko box comes up, also hitting "Install"

Things rolled along and the terminal spewed out the following additional gobbledygook, as they rolled.

$ 0017:fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
0017:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0017:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
0017:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0017:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0020:fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
0020:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0020:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0020:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0010:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0010:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x6dbd1518
0025:fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x69ebd3de, context 0x8d65c0, init_notify 0, handle 0x11cfa10): stub
0043:fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
0043:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0043:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0043:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0041:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0041:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x6d5d3018
0048:fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x6a0cb608, context 0x9588c8, init_notify 0, handle 0x119fc88): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/qqz/.wine' has been updated.

All little boxes and their accompanying tabs down on the task bar are now gone, on their own with no input from me, and the terminal is just kind of sitting there, without reverting back to the username prompt.

Gonna try to fire up wine, which I really WOULD like to configure, while letting the terminal continue to sit, hung, not doing anything.

Wine not found in Applications. Phoo.

Opened a second terminal and "wine --version" typed into that second terminal returns: wine-3.0.2 which is hopeful.

File directory structure now showing a .wine folder in my home folder, which is a lot more than I can say for what I was getting before, which was nothing at all by way of a .wine folder, anywhere at all. I GUESSED at putting the 64 option in when I got to step 7 above, and in the .wine directory structure we now have "ProgramData" "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" which is EXACTLY like it used to be with Wine in Mint 17 and 18. This is VERY hopeful stuff. Golly, I sure hope it works.

Going to kill the hung terminal box and reboot this princess, and look for wine some more.

Typed "exit" into that hung terminal box and it disappeared in a blink, no prompt, no "do you really want to...", no nothing. Blink. Gone.

Ok, saving this here, reboot underway, pray for me.

Ok, reboot complete, still no "Wine" in the Applications area.

Proceeding with installation of IrfanView, per my saved procedure, beginning with dumping it into /.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86).

Dump complete, opening up the folder inside of the /.wine/ directory and right-clicking on i_view32.exe yields up the same options as in the olden days (pre-19 Mint) which are, Archive Manager (nope), Mono Runtime (Terminal) (never used that in the past, and do not intend to start using it today, either), and Wine Windows Program Loader (Bingo!). Ok, here we go.

SUCCESS!!

Houston, we have an Irfan!

Ok, now to see if we can make Irfan the default still image viewer as before.

Be still, my beating heart, this is starting to look like it just might work!

Creating iview.open per instructions from user Flemur (who I cannot thank enough, but am hereby trying, anyway) here: viewtopic.php?t=188127#p980473 and it works perfectly with the contents of iview.open edited to match the specific folder location under/.wine/ of i_view32.exe.

My own version of iview.open here bracketed between five slashes coming and five more slashes going to make it stand out. It lives inside of /usr/bin and it has been made executeable per the instructions from user Flemur:

/////

#!/bin/sh

QUICKPARLOCATION="c:\\Program Files (x86)\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe"
PARAM=`winepath -w "$*"`
wine "$QUICKPARLOCATION" "$PARAM" &
exit 0

\\\\\

Irfan is in and working perfectly under Wine. I have a working launcher for it on the desktop which points to /usr/bin/iview.open. And I get Irfan as an option when I go to Control Center > Preferred Applications > Multimedia > Image Viewer. Hooray!

Wine is definitely in and working, even though I have yet to find where I can "configure" it as I used to.

I'm happy with what I've got, and I'm happy to share this experience with everyone else in the hopes that it will allow someone else to enable Wine, or Irfan, or both of them, or whatever, on their Mint 19 installation.
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Like lots of others I've wrestled with installing a working version of Wine, menus and all, in Mint 19 Mate'.

Today the installation gods were smiling on me for I finally have a fully working installation of Wine complete with menus in place on which I've installed Photoshop 7.0.1 and Adobe Illustrator 10.03.

How did I get from zero to hero Wine wise? Let's see if I can retrace my steps..

I started from a completely clean sheet. No trace of any previous Wine installation remaining on the system and absolutely no trace of PlayOnLinux either.

I had previously installed Linux Mint 19 v2 Mate', and that was a big part of successfully installing Wine.

Then I went to: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu and followed the directions there to install a fresh instance of the latest Wine 'stable' on Mint 19 Mate'. Read carefully here and do it step by step..

Once that was done I rebooted the operating system.

I use the classic 'Applications Places System' Mate' menu (long time Gnome 2.x user here!). If you use the newer menu you'll have to translate what I did from this point..

Once the system rebooted I right clicked on 'Applications' and selected 'Edit Menus'. In the 'Other' menu I found the 'Wine Windows Program Loader' listed. I clicked its check box so it would display in the 'Other' menu and was well on the way to cracking this tough nut.

At this point some like to install 'PlayOnLinux' and use it as a front end for Wine. I don't do that. I find it entirely unnecessary, something that adds a level of complexity to using Wine that doesn't need to be there.

Instead I simply opened my Home Folder to where I had my old Photoshop 7.0.1 installation program stored, copied the serial number, then right clicked on Setup.exe and selected 'Open with Wine Windows Program Loader'. From there the installation proceeded normally and soon I had Photoshop 7 installed.

After another reboot so system menus could sort themselves out, under 'Applications' I had a new 'Wine' menu with 'Wine Windows Program Loader' in place along with a 'Programs' sub-menu in which 'Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1' was listed.

Success!! Hope this helps others. It worked for me!..
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I did a clean install of Cinnamon 18.3...went to WineHQ and installed Wine without any trouble at all with the Terminal...couldn't do it in Mint 19.

I now have Wine version 3.0.2 and it seems much better than previous versions. Wine doesn't appear in the Menu...but I downloaded Notepad++ .exe file...then right click...says "Open With"..."Wine Windows Program Loader". You then install the Program...go to Menu and Wine is now there...place your mouse on it and Notepad++ appears...click it and it opens...just like in Windows. :o

I don't know if other Windows software will work the same...that's why I have a Win 7 Virtual Machine...anyway hope this helps. :D
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

..I did a clean install of Cinnamon 18.3...went to WineHQ and installed Wine without any trouble at all with the Terminal...couldn't do it in Mint 19.
Not really sure how your Cinnamon desktop experience in Mint 18.03 corresponds with the "Wine install Mint 19 Mate" topic under discussion here. With Mint 18.03 there were no real problems installing and running Wine successfully using any of Mint's desktop environments. However the issues that appeared with Wine installations once Mint 19 was released have been frustrating for many, and sorting them out has taken time -- which is what this thread is trying to facilitate with the Mate' desktop.

If you could reinstall Mint 19 Cinnamon v2, then do all the current updates and finally install Wine, like I did on my MInt 19 v2 Mate' desktop, we'd have a better idea about what's possible in the Cinnamon desktop environment -- something that would be valuable to a great many I'm sure..
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Az4x4 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 pm
..I did a clean install of Cinnamon 18.3...went to WineHQ and installed Wine without any trouble at all with the Terminal...couldn't do it in Mint 19.
Not really sure how your Cinnamon desktop experience in Mint 18.03 corresponds with the "Wine install Mint 19 Mate" topic under discussion here.
I thought it was quite obvious...if installing Wine on 18.3 is so easy and so hard...if not impossible on 19 then the fault is clearly with 19 and the smart thing to do as I did was keep using 18.3 until 19.1 comes out...but that's just me. 8)
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

I thought it was quite obvious...if installing Wine on 18.3 is so easy and so hard...if not impossible on 19 then the fault is clearly with 19 and the smart thing to do as I did was keep using 18.3 until 19.1 comes out...but that's just me. 8)
Ok, I get what you were saying. There's nothing wrong with expressing your view that staying with 18.3 is, for you, the "smart thing to do". Others I'm sure feel the same way. I did too for quite some time..

Precisely because it's been difficult to install a working instance of Wine on the original release of Mint 19 is why people have continued working on the problem -- the reason this "Wine install Mint 19 Mate" thread was started to begin with.

Now that Mint 19 version 2 has been made available, and installing it along with current updates makes the problem we originally had when trying to install Wine on the original release of Mint 19 a thing of the past, there's no real reason to wait for 19.1 to be released. Mint 19 v2 provides all we need to not only install Wine successfully but to experience all the rest of the baked in goodness that Clem and his team have for us in this awesome release.

But I agree with you, to each their own when it comes to distro choices. If you're as comfortable with 18.3 as I am with it on three of my own machines, then stick with it until you're confidant enough in Mint 19.x to make the transition..
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

For those who may be instrested but don't know where to find the Linux Mint 19 v2 ISOs, here's one of the servers they're available on: http://mirror.clarkson.edu/linuxmint/is ... stable/19/
KokoC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KokoC »

I was able to install wine on Linux Mint 19 following these steps:

http://blog.softhints.com/install-wine- ... -add-menu/

What I was missing was two things:
* how to config wine -

Code: Select all

winecfg
* how to add wine to the menu
Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.
https://softhints.com/ - simple Linux Mint guides
http://datascientyst.com/
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

wine-launcher-creator_1.0.8-1_all.deb works for me when i need to make a menu entry or desktop icon for wine programs. takes a bit of knowledge but i'm sure it can be figured out if i can.

source: https://code.google.com/archive/p/wine- ... /downloads
whozer

Post by whozer »

I came and registered specifically to thank you, a huge help to me. Particularly;

7. WineARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine wineboot (this will initiate environment for wine, if you want win64 change value win32 to win64)

Which, was missing from all the guides/forums I had trolled through before this, on a clean mint 19 install - followed this reply from truesarang and it's worked flawlessly. THANK YOU! :D :lol:
truesarang wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 pm 1. sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

2. wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key

3. sudo apt-key add Release.key

4. sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

5. sudo apt-get update

6. if you want to get stable version: sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
if you want to get develpment version: sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
if you want to get staging version: sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging

if you somehow massed up you can always do sudo rm -rf ~/.wine and do above command again to initiate it.

8. sudo apt-get install winetricks (winetricks is useful when you need to install windows library,etc)

good luck!

Return to “Software & Applications”