SOLVED How to create "shortcuts" to an Appimage ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED How to create "shortcuts" to an Appimage ?

Post by MintyMorkyMindy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi,

LM19 Cinnamon

I have Appimages that I would like to access by:

1. "Add to panel"
2. "Add to desktop"
3. Add to Menu, "All Applications", a folder called Appimages

If such is possible, how can this be achieved ?

Thank you

:)
Last edited by MintyMorkyMindy on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint since 5 October 2014 :D

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to create "shortcuts" to an Appimage ?

Post by phd21 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:10 pm

HI MintyMorkyMindy,

Yes, and it is simple to do.

I create a new folder underneath my home folder called "apps" for all applications like AppImages, Java apps, self-contained software that runs from a folder, etc... to be stored. Copy all your AppImage software into that folder. AppImages need to have permission to run, so right-click each AppImage, or select all and right-click, then properties, then permission tab, make sure executable is checked, apply, ok.

Some AppImages have a built-in installation option to integrate with your menus and or desktop, others do not. You can double-click them to see, or Right-click your desktop and select Create New Launcher (new desktop shortcut), put in the Name of that application, then click the browse button to the right of the command box and browse to that AppImage file, click ok, if you are asked to add to the menus, say yes.

Once any software is in a menu, you can right-click it in the menu and add that to the desktop, or to a system tray panel, or as a menu favourite.

To add a link to a folder to your desktop, bring up your file manager and right-click the folder and select make a link, then drag that new link to folder to your desktop.

There is also an Applet called "Places Center" you can add for the system tray.
Applets : Places Center : Cinnamon Spices
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/128

Applets : Places with Terminal Launcher : Cinnamon Spices
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/52

Applets : Custom Applications Menu : Cinnamon Spices
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/113

Applets : Places : Cinnamon Spices
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/5

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

The method phd21 describes works well, and it is what I used until I discovered AppImageLauncher. It installs from a DEB, and the name he “1-alpha” part name of the DEB suggests the package is in alpha stage, which might be of some concern. I recommend reading the README.md - it is long, but I would not treated it as TLDR.
I installed it a couple of weeks ago - it did not install any additional dependencies and I have not experienced any problems that could be linked to it. However, my experience does not ensure AppImageLauncher will not break your system and void your Linux Mint warranty.
AppImageLauncher is a utility that makes your Linux desktop "AppImage ready.” It integrates an AppImage to the desktop by creating a launcher for the Main Menu or application launcher, and it makes it possible to run an AppImage without having to make it executable first.
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher
Downloads are available on the releases page.
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImage ... /releases

A review is here
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/04/e ... files.html
From here on out, AI=AppImage and AIL=AppImageLauncher .
AIL is available as a 64-bit DEB and as an AI (that is suitable for taking AIL for a test drive, but all of the features are not supported). There are TWO versions of the DEB - a special version had to be made for Ubuntu Bionic (LM19.x) because Bionic broke with the backwards compatibility of its libcurl packages.
For LM-17.x or LM18.x, use

Code: Select all

appimagelauncher_1-alpha-travis212.git20180712.7949d8d_amd64.deb
For LM19.x, use

appimagelauncher_1-alpha-travis212.git20180712.7949d8d.bionic_amd64.deb

The AppImage is

AppImageLauncher-travis212-git20180712.7949d8d-x86_64.AppImage

Another feature and a slight problem
AIL also provides a method to update an AI if the desktop environment supports desktop actions. This update feature does not appear to work with the MATE DE - if it does, I have not found a way to use it - so I cannot confirm whether this works or how well it works.

I suspect AIL can only update an AI that was built to be updated. Most of the AIs I use are not built to be updated. And since I cannot test it, I do not know what AIL does with the older version.

The problem?
When AIL “integrates” an AI it moves the AI file to a pre-defined location - for me it is /home/user/Applications/. It might be different for you, so pay attention to the AIL pop-up dialog. I have not found a way to change this default location.

Prior to installing AIL I stored my AIs in ~/AppImages, and that was where I launched them. I was thrown into a ‘Where did it go?!’ panic the first time I tried to launch an integrated AI from the file browser and the file was not in the ~/AppImages folder.

MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MintyMorkyMindy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:22 pm

How to uninstall AppimageLauncher?

ApplimageLauncher is destructive software.

No control, no uninstaller, it removes appimages from a folder to who knows where.

I want control over where shortcuts go.

Update:

sudo apt-get --purge remove appimagelauncher

MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MintyMorkyMindy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm

SOLVED

These are my personal notes.

How to add an appimage shortcut to the desktop, menu, panel, with a custom icon.
1. Use your search engine, eg DuckDuckGo to find the icon(s) you prefer.
2. Right Mouse Click (RMC) on the desktop and select "Create a new launcher here"
3. Left Mouse Click (LMC) the default rocket icon and navigate to your preferred icon and select it - that should now be the new icon for your link
4. Name your application.
5. Browse to and select your Appimage, click "ok"
6. Choose "Yes" at the popup:
"Would you like to add this launcher to the menu also?
It will be placed in the Other category initially."
5. Find your appimage at Menu/Other
6. RMC add to panel

Notes:
To edit your icon:
1. RMC your desktop icon and select "propeties", and/or
2. RMC your panel icon and select "edit".
3. Click the icon in the popup to change it.
Last edited by MintyMorkyMindy on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:49 am

MintyMorkyMindy wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:22 pm
ApplimageLauncher is destructive software.

No control, no uninstaller, it removes appimages from a folder to who knows where.
I do not agree it is destructive software - at the very worst it moves the AppImage to /home/usr/Applications. The AppImage itself is unchanged, and it can still be launched from its new home, either from the file browser or the command line.

I mentioned this in my post. I also mentioned to pay attention to the AppImageLauncher Desktop Integration pop-up dialog that opens when you launch an AppImage for the first time - it gives you the pre-defined location.
I want control over where shortcuts go.
Fine. There is nothing wrong with doing it manually.

Return to “Software & Applications”