Preventing specific app from updating (19) [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Preventing specific app from updating (19) [SOLVED]

Post by JLC17 »

Upgraded to Mint 19 last week. Plain sailing apart from the newest version of Pan newsreader, which is broken.

reinstalling the version from 18.3 sorted the problem. I went into Synaptic and locked the version there. However, whenever the Webmin software manager runs, it keeps flagging the newer version for installation.

Is there a way to stop this happening ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Preventing specific app from updating (19)

Post by ajgringo619 »

Code: Select all

sudo apt hold package_name
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am

I suggest this slightly different command:

sudo apt-mark hold package_name
:)

In the case of Pan:

sudo apt-mark hold pan
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If the Webmin software is bypassing Synaptic and the Update Manager, you will most likely need to delve into the Webmin documentation to find a way to disable it.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am
ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am

I suggest this slightly different command:

sudo apt-mark hold package_name
:)
Oh, is this a game of equivalent commands? I suggest

apt hold package_name
Shortest, I win. ;)

No but seriously, apt is a wrapper, it calls apt-mark internally, anyway. Same with sudo. So all of these are the same thing at the end of the day.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm apt is a wrapper, it calls apt-mark internally, anyway. Same with sudo. So all of these are the same thing at the end of the day.
Well, I've learned something new. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JLC17 »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

just to note the apt-mark command did not seem to work.

However, in UpdateManager under "Preferences" there is a tab "Blacklist". Following a lucky guess, I added "pan" as an item, and now Webmin isn't picking up the update.

In case anyone who works on UpdateManager reads this (it might pop up in a google for "UpdateManager", it would make it easier if rather than having to freetype the package you want to blacklist, you could select it from a list of installed packages ?

Either way, this is solved,
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JLC17 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 am In case anyone who works on UpdateManager reads this (it might pop up in a google for "UpdateManager", it would make it easier if rather than having to freetype the package you want to blacklist, you could select it from a list of installed packages ?
Assuming we are talking about Linux Mint's Update Manager now (so far you were talking about a Webmin software): Once there is an actual update for a package, you can right click that update in the list and blacklist it from there.
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JLC17 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am
JLC17 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 am In case anyone who works on UpdateManager reads this (it might pop up in a google for "UpdateManager", it would make it easier if rather than having to freetype the package you want to blacklist, you could select it from a list of installed packages ?
Assuming we are talking about Linux Mint's Update Manager now (so far you were talking about a Webmin software): Once there is an actual update for a package, you can right click that update in the list and blacklist it from there.
My original post was how to stop Webmin flagging up pan for update, since the version available is newer than the version I have installed (the new one has a nasty bug). There's nothing obvious in Webmin, and I had already locked the version in Synaptic, but Webmin was still showing "1 update available".

After loading UpdateManager, and experimenting, it seems "blacklisting" the package does whatever is needed for Webmin to think it's now up to date.

However UpdateManager blacklist has a ""/-" button, and you need to type a package name in (or I did) to add it.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JLC17 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 amAfter loading UpdateManager, and experimenting, it seems "blacklisting" the package does whatever is needed for Webmin to think it's now up to date.

However UpdateManager blacklist has a ""/-" button, and you need to type a package name in (or I did) to add it.
It's a bit weird that Webmin would ignore an apt hold but heed a Mint-specific setting, but at long as it works it's all good. Anyway, as I said, you can right-click blacklist as well, just open up the Mint Update Manager whenever Webmin is offering you an update to a package you do not want to update, that way you do not have to know the package name.

Return to “Software & Applications”