Update Samba in LTS

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MeneerJansen

Update Samba in LTS

Post by MeneerJansen »

I use Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" LTS (long term support)

I filed a bug for Samba in Samba's bugzilla. Samba makes files on my Windows 10 machine 0 bytes (i.e. deletes all contents!). But they need me to update my Samba version. I use the LTS version of Mint but I cannot upgrade from Samba ver. 4.3. Since I use the Long Term Support version of Linux Mint, why not?

Is there a workaround or repository where to install at least Samba ver. 4.6?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Update Samba in LTS

Post by gm10 »

Check what versions the other Ubuntu repositories have, but before installing the package from there make sure you can meet the dependencies (they are listed): https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=samba

Another option is to install Mint 19, which has samba 4.7.6 in the repositories. Mint 17 has less than a year of support left, and as you can see, that support doesn't mean to keeping the entire repository up to date, anyway.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I also recommend Mint 19 (for the time being, until the fixed ISO's have been released: install it without internet connection).

Duidelijke zaak / klare Sache und damit hopp.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Gaugamela

Post by Gaugamela »

I am having lots of problems with Samba on Mint 19. I would suggest Mint 18.3.
MeneerJansen

Post by MeneerJansen »

Gaugamela wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm I am having lots of problems with Samba on Mint 19. I would suggest Mint 18.3.
Mint 18.3 has the version of Samba that I'm having troubles with (i.e. ver 4.3.11). What troubles do you have w/ Mint 19 that you do not had w/ Mint 18.3?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Usually when I come across symptoms I have never seen before I try my best to reproduce it on a test system.

I cannot in this case. I have even gone as far as replacing the smb.conf file on a Mint 17 system with yours ( changing the path of the shared folder to one under my user name ). I even accessed it with a 32bit WIn10 - although I had no idea that particular machine was running the 32bit version of Win10.

Before you explore changing versions of samba I would reset your smb.conf to the factory fresh setting:

** Rename your current smb.conf:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig
** Reset it to the factory settings:

sudo cp /usr/share/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba
As I recall there was a bug or sorts in Mint back then so run this command:

testparm -s | grep "map to guest"
It should come back with: map to guest = Bad User

If it doesn't edit smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add it plus these 4:

map to guest = Bad User
netbios name = Desktop-PC
client max protocol = SMB3
name resolve order = bcast lmhosts host wins
Then at the bottom of the file add your share - but do it this way:

[Afbldngen]
	comment = Afbeeldingen Desktop-PC
	path = /home/ik/afbeeldingen
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
        force user = ik
You don't want the locking = no option in your share definition.

Then restart samba in this order:

sudo service smbd restart
sudo service nmbd restart
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MeneerJansen

Post by MeneerJansen »

@altair4: Thanks a lot for your tips. Did just that and still no success. Maybe there's something wrong w/ my Win 10 machine. Because if it works for you om Mint 17 and Win 10 32 bit then it should work for me.

If I find out how to "reset" Win 10 to it's factory settings then I might try that. That's a hell of a job because I installed quite some software on it...
Last edited by MeneerJansen on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The one thing I did not test is setting a samba share through the file manager.

Do you have any output from this command:

net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MeneerJansen

Post by MeneerJansen »

altair4 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 am The one thing I did not test is setting a samba share through the file manager.

Do you have any output from this command:

net usershare info --long
On my Linux machine, no.
MeneerJansen

Post by MeneerJansen »

[addition] Did the Windows Reset thing (w/ the option to keep my files). Did not help. Still my files get butchered to 0 bytes. @altair4: what version of Samba was in your Mint 17 with which you tested? Mine is ver. 4.3.11.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Same:
tester@vmint173cin ~ $ samba -V
Version 4.3.11-Ubuntu
The samba package for a given Desktop release is generally never updated in Ubuntu unless there is some horrible security issue.
MeneerJansen

Post by MeneerJansen »

altair4 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:28 pm Same:
tester@vmint173cin ~ $ samba -V
Version 4.3.11-Ubuntu
The samba package for a given Desktop release is generally never updated in Ubuntu unless there is some horrible security issue.
I remembered that I have 2 Linux distro's on my PC. (Tried them out before permanently switching to Mint.) The other is Ubuntu 14 (w/ Samba 4.3.11) which I upgraded yesterday to 16. Same problem (i.e. Win 10 or Linux deleting the complete contents of a file and no write permissions). Even stranger: I did a factory reset of the Win 10 machine (!) and I used the Ubuntu smb.conf file (with said share added). So I can reproduce the problem but you can't. What do you think: is it Win 10 or Samba?

Thanks again for your kind replies and help.

P.S. I'm going away for the night so I'm planning on letting the other Linux distro upgrade to Ububntu 18 because only 'buntu 18 has a newer version of Samba which they want me to use in Bugzilla. That upgrade is said to take hours...

P.S.2 My bugzilla report: link

Return to “Software & Applications”