Mint 19 calendar not notifying (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 19 calendar not notifying (SOLVED)

Post by Summerof69 »

Hello I've got an issue with the built in calendar of Linux Mint 19 x64 Cinnamon.

I've got a google online account set up through online accounts in the control panel.

I'm able to access my google drive via Nemo.

I'm able to see my appointments in the calendar, and I'm able to make new appointment, which then are synchronised to my google account, and are viewable on my smartphone and lightning in mozilla thunderbird. (Lightning is synchronising using caldav)

The only thing that doesn't work with the built in calendar in mint 19 is, that I simply can't get it to notify anything.

What am I missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For millions of years mankind lived much like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking
Stephen Hawkin's voice on Keep Talking by Pink Floyd
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint 19 calendar not notifying

Post by smurphos »

Summerof69 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am What am I missing?
It's Gnome Calendar that's been added in Mint 19 - a bit of googling suggests this is a common query - 'why doesn't Gnome Calendar notify in distro / desktop xxxx' with no real answer. You can set 'alarms' on events - they don't work with Cinnamon.

I suspect the integration is tied specifically with Gnome Shell or possibly Evolution (Gnome's email/organiser app which integrates with the Calendar). May be worth trying Evolution to see if it makes a difference.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 19 calendar not notifying

Post by Summerof69 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am
Summerof69 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am What am I missing?
It's Gnome Calendar that's been added in Mint 19 - a bit of googling suggests this is a common query - 'why doesn't Gnome Calendar notify in distro / desktop xxxx' with no real answer. You can set 'alarms' on events - they don't work with Cinnamon.

I suspect the integration is tied specifically with Gnome Shell or possibly Evolution (Gnome's email/organiser app which integrates with the Calendar). May be worth trying Evolution to see if it makes a difference.
Hello smurphos, thank you for your reply.

I did a bit of googling during the past week, but I did not stumble upon the described Cinnamon and Gnome Calendar issue.

Regarding Evolution - I might have a look at it, as said I've got thunderbird and lightning set up, and the thing about Gnome calendar that would be an alternative to thunderbird and lightning, is that it's a stand alone calendar, so the user is able to look at the calendar without having to care about incoming email. :D
For millions of years mankind lived much like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking
Stephen Hawkin's voice on Keep Talking by Pink Floyd

Return to “Software & Applications”