Linux Mint users who have Verizon as ISP and using Evolution or Thunderbird as email clients

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint users who have Verizon as ISP and using Evolution or Thunderbird as email clients

Post by wpshooter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Am looking for Linux Mint users who have Verizon as their ISP and who are "attempting" to use
either Evolution or Thunderbird as their email clients to see if they are having the same problem
with their Verizon email accounts which were migrated over to AOL about a year ago and now
that they are being "serviced ???" by AOL, have a habit of working just fine one day and the next
day will not work at all. And when you call AOL about this their suggested solution is that they will sign you
up for a PAID support plan.

And NO, settings in Evolution and Thunderbird are the exact SAME on the days that email works as
they are on the days that email will not work.

P.S. - Nothing wrong with Verizon Internet connection, everything else works just fine !!!

PPS - Have had this same @verizon.net email address for probably over 15 years, sort of hate to
have to change to another address and service at this late date.

Thanks.

banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint users who have Verizon as ISP and using Evolution or Thunderbird as email clients

Post by banjo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 pm

I have Verizon as my ISP and I signed up for AOL when Verizon dumped the email. Mine works most of the time with Thunderbird, but occasionally it fails to log in. I ignore the error, and later on the login begins to work again. No changes to the Thunderbird settings. It simply fails for a while and then comes back later.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint users who have Verizon as ISP and using Evolution or Thunderbird as email clients

Post by wpshooter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 pm

banjo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 pm
I have Verizon as my ISP and I signed up for AOL when Verizon dumped the email. Mine works most of the time with Thunderbird, but occasionally it fails to log in. I ignore the error, and later on the login begins to work again. No changes to the Thunderbird settings. It simply fails for a while and then comes back later.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
Banjo: Thanks for your reply. Mine has the habit of not working sometimes 1 or 2 days at a time
and then just magically starting to work again with no input / change from me. I hate to
sound paranoid but I am really beginning to believe that this is being done deliberately
by AOL either that or AOL does not have the capacity to properly service the number of
accounts that they have.

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm

My wife went with the AOL offering as well (I let mine die.) Every once in a while, she'll get a dump of a few dozen emails that she already got in the last couple days. She's never complained about not getting anything that I can remember.

Oh. She's using Windows. Still working on that!

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:40 pm

I have Verizon, and on occassion, I use the new 5g LTE JetPack when my local AT&T DSL copper wire hits the dirt.... which it did this morning, over an hour of dead air from AT&T, so the JetPack was pressed into service. it is 3 times faster than my DSL, but I can't afford to use it much.

I use Thunderbird off and on, but as it is way too slow to sort my contacts, and put my messages into the Folders, I usually just access the mail.yahoo.com website with my browser.

I have a lot of user groups that I send/receive jokes with, and trying to do a group send from Tbird is too much of a pain for me, it does not import my yahoo contacts correctly, in fact, it never has.
and I refuse to manually re-enter over 500 contacts into the Tbird list.

but, when I do use Tbird, it works well, have not had any issues with it.
I have never once, had an AOL account, never did like that outfit, and refused to use them.

banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 pm

MrEen wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm
My wife went with the AOL offering as well (I let mine die.) Every once in a while, she'll get a dump of a few dozen emails that she already got in the last couple days. She's never complained about not getting anything that I can remember.

Oh. She's using Windows. Still working on that!
Last week, my Thunderbird downloaded 32 emails from AOL that I had already read. Some of them came in months ago. I don't know how TBird decides that it has already downloaded an email from the AOL inbox, but on occasion that algorithm fails and it downloads them again. To fix that problem I am being more careful about logging in to the AOL interface on the browser and cleaning out the inbox. I do not use the Verizon address much, so I don't get a lot of traffic. Most of it is spam. However, I still get occasional emails from my hosting service, so I am keeping it.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:43 am

Finally got a call back from Verizon supervisor this morning admitting that they are aware that
AOL (who they migrated their email services to about a year ago) have PROBLEMS
with their email servers which is the cause of these on again off again (sporadic) problems with their email not
being able to be accessed by users when using 3rd party email clients like Evolution
and Thunderbird.

It would be nice if AOL would just admit this to all of the former Verizon email customers
who are calling them about this problem.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

I have also had the same problem. I get out email resent to me using Verizon and Thunderbird. I 'm not sure what I did recently with my settings but I haven't had the repeating problem for a while now.

My wife has a Mac and she was using the mail program that was installed with the system. She had problems with not being able to connect with Verizon/AOL without having done anything with her settings. I recommended that she try Thunderbird and so far, she hasn't had a problem.

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 am

ejazzkatt wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am
I have also had the same problem. I get out email resent to me using Verizon and Thunderbird. I 'm not sure what I did recently with my settings but I haven't had the repeating problem for a while now.

My wife has a Mac and she was using the mail program that was installed with the system. She had problems with not being able to connect with Verizon/AOL without having done anything with her settings. I recommended that she try Thunderbird and so far, she hasn't had a problem.
My guess is that eventually she will have same or similar problems with Thunderbird, I did.

Return to “Software & Applications”