Update Manager - Unable to get exclusive lock

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Update Manager - Unable to get exclusive lock

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Linux Mint 19.0, Cinnamon 64bit. Installed over my 18.3 desktop with my /home directory on a separate partition.

Everytime I startup my computer the first thing I do is install any updates, on 18.3 this used to work fine but since Linux Mint 19 I get the below error message:

Unable to get exclusive lock

I understand that this is probably because another app is using apt but I literally haven't touched anything else before going into the Update Manager. As soon as I close down the Update Manager and then reopen it, it then works fine.

Below is the full list of my Startup Applications, could it be possible that Flatpak is causing this issue?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Update Manager - Unable to get exclusive lock

Post by JoeFootball »

gibbs1984 wrote:Everytime I startup my computer the first thing I do is install any updates ... literally haven't touched anything else before going into the Update Manager. As soon as I close down the Update Manager and then reopen it, it then works fine.
I suspect you're manually using Update Manager while the automated MintUpdate is running (see 5th row from the top on your Startup Applications list).

Joe
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:41 pm
gibbs1984 wrote:Everytime I startup my computer the first thing I do is install any updates ... literally haven't touched anything else before going into the Update Manager. As soon as I close down the Update Manager and then reopen it, it then works fine.
I suspect you're manually using Update Manager while the automated MintUpdate is running (see 5th row from the top on your Startup Applications list).

Joe
Thanks for the reply but I only open the Update Manager by clicking on the shield on the panel which means the Update Manager on the Startup Applications has already loaded (after 40 seconds).
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

gibbs1984 wrote:Thanks for the reply but I only open the Update Manager by clicking on the shield on the panel which means the Update Manager on the Startup Applications has already loaded (after 40 seconds).
Yes, and when it loads after 40 seconds, is it automatically checking against the repositories for updates? i.e., as you are trying to do the same?

Joe
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Not sure, how would I check that?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would wait at least a minute after booting to use the Update Manager and see if you still have the issue
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

disable mintUpdate uninstall nvidia-prime if you don't have optimus.

Return to “Software & Applications”