Mint 19 Cinnamon doesn't shutdown

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sgzhelev

Mint 19 Cinnamon doesn't shutdown

Post by sgzhelev »

Hello everyone,

I installed Mint 19 before 2 days and everything was fine. Unfortunately today when I tried to shutdown, the laptop freezes with no icons or mouse on desktop. To turn it off I had to hold the power button.

The laptop is Lenovo Legion Y520 with Core i7 and nVidia 1050Ti.

I'm open for suggestions!
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon doesn't shutdown

Post by Flemur »

sgzhelev wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 amI installed Mint 19 before 2 days and everything was fine. Unfortunately today when I tried to shutdown, the laptop freezes with no icons or mouse on desktop. To turn it off I had to hold the power button.
Don't use the power button! Use the REISUB method:
Hold Alt & SysRq (Print Screen) and slowly type REISUB to restart, REISUO to shutdown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

What happens when you

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown
?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
santechnik

Post by santechnik »

Flemur wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:17 pm What happens when you

sudo shutdown
?
I accounted the same issue. Using

sudo shutdown
gives exact same result - system freezes, cursor disappears and then the image on the screen remains forever.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, santechnik.

Have you tried pressing the ESC key in the situation when the Mint logo does not go away during shutdown?
Pressing ESC should stop the logo and permit you to read the last messages on the console monitor instead, which might tell what is blocking the shutdown.
By the way, how long is "forever"? - I ask, because every once in a while the user process gnome-keyring-daemon refuses to terminate in a timely fashion here. systemd will wait for 90 seconds (I can see the corresponding countdown), before killing it forcefully and completing the shutdown afterwards.
90 seconds looking at a Mint logo might appear like "forever", but actually it is just 90 seconds plus a few more for completing the shutdown.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
santechnik

Post by santechnik »

karlchen wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:52 am By the way, how long is "forever"? - I ask, because every once in a while the user process gnome-keyring-daemon refuses to terminate in a timely fashion here. systemd will wait for 90 seconds (I can see the corresponding countdown), before killing it forcefully and completing the shutdown afterwards.
90 seconds looking at a Mint logo might appear like "forever", but actually it is just 90 seconds plus a few more for completing the shutdown.
OK, it really looks like 90 seconds. There's no countdown though and all I see is my desktop image (if I shutdown while on desktop), without icons and whatever. Is that the thing I'll have to live with?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, santechnik.

Pressing ESC while the Mint logo is displayed during shutdown does not make the logo go away and permit you to read messages on the black console monitor?
It does so here. White letters on black ground. This is why I know that systemd displays a countdown.
Finding out that it was gnome-keyring-daemon in my case was the result of some searching in the forum and simply trying to run "gnome-keyring-daemon --start" manually before clicking on the shutdown button.
What helps in my case, may not work for you, because the stubborn process might be a different process in your case.
This is why I had hoped you could read messages on the console monitor. Because how can you troubleshoot a process which may block normal shutdown without knowing its name?

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
santechnik

Post by santechnik »

Problem disappeared so I can't reproduce it right now. I think it could be connected to GPU drivers somehow (though I don't know, how there can be any connection). I installed NVidia drivers and shutdown works just fine.
Even after manually running that process shutdown worked OK.
Mint logo didn't appear when shutdown was not fine though, and ESC didn't work.

Thanks for your help anyway!
zorglubu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zorglubu »

I had exactly the same problem of Mint 19.1 not halting on the Lenovo Y520. It was effectively solved after having installed the Nvidia driver.
Control Centre > Administration > Driver manager
Oc3lot

Post by Oc3lot »

Installing nvidia drivers solved the problem for me too. thx

Return to “Software & Applications”