Kernel upgrade & Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Kernel upgrade & Cinnamon

Post by siawacsh »

Hello, I recently upgraded my kernel to the latest and since loging in I get error about cinamon not working properly. It logs in fall back mode.

I am using Mint 18.3. Sylvia

Can any one offer tips how to restore it Cinamon or earlier kernel.?

Thanks
Siawacsh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Kernel upgrade & Cinemon

Post by gm10 »

Usually due to an outdated NVIDIA driver.

You can go back to a previous kernel by holding left shift during system boot to get into the GRUB menu, then selecting advanced options and picking a previous kernel. If you have trouble getting into the GRUB menu, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del once the kernel starts loading should reboot you right into it.
Hap

Re: Kernel upgrade & Cinemon

Post by Hap »

Hi,

If Left shift doesn't work, try escape key at the boot screen to load into Grub ( UEFI Bios ).

Got the same problem using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, I installed Nvidia 390.77 & 396.24.10 drivers from the PPA with the 4.15.0-29.31 active and Cinnamon started in fallback each time. I didn't try with Nouveau though...

I went back to 4.13.0-45, everything was fine again with both drivers. So maybe It's not only the drivers, or am I wrong ?
Because 390.77 is one of the latest driver, the changelog is even stating better compatibility with the latest Kernel ( 4.17 I suppose ).
Hap

Re: Kernel upgrade & Cinnamon

Post by Hap »

Hi,

I just installed the latest Nvidia drivers that came today on the PPA ( 396.45 ) and then re-installed kernel 4.15.0-29.31 and again Cinnamon started into fallback mode upon restart. Latest drivers are working great with 4.13.0-45, no problem whatsoever.

So, is there something that I am missing ?
I installed the Kernel then the drivers in this particular order, does it matter ?
Is 4.15.0-29.31 compatible with Mint 18.3 or should I migrate to Mint 19 ? (Xenial Vs Bionic Beaver)
Should I wait for the next Kernel ? Should I report a bug ? Am I alone in this case ?

Thanks.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Thanks to everybody for all your answers. I decided to migrate to Mint 19. But that platform is giving different problems do to do with Simple scan with a big streak across my copies. The scanner is Cannon Lide 200.

I am also having difficulties installing driver for my Samsung ML-1675 printer. I have followed the instructions here but to no avail

https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/index.html

I have posted a more detailed question on the forum in a seperate thread. I need my scanner badly and might have to go back to 18.3 if I don't find a solution soon.

Regards
Siawacsh
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Just realized a third party scanning software VueScan works fine. But it is not open source or free.
Hap

Post by Hap »

Just to update my situation and to bump this thread, still on Mint 18.3, a new kernel is out since a few day ( 4.15.0-30.32 ) and new Nvidia drivers too ( 396.51).

I installed both, kernel first then Drivers and nvidia utils and Cinnamon is again starting in fallback mode.

I never had this problem before.
BradW

Post by BradW »

On 18.3, I had to use the 4.4 LTS kernel or I had some miscellaneous issues. With 4.4.0-xxx all was good.

Brad
Hap

Post by Hap »

Okay, solved it and I don't really know what happened.

1/ Switch to Nouveau in the drivers manager & reboot.

2 / Open a terminal and purge everything from Nvidia with apt ( handle with care )

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
Reboot.

3/ Update to the latest kernel ( 4.15.0-30.32 at the time ). Do not install anything from Nvidia, if you use the graphics drivers ppa the update manager should propose you to but don't, Reboot. Cinnamon should now work with the latest kernel.

4/ Now install all the Nvidia thingies that the update manager proposes. Switch to the driver manager and install the latest proprietary drivers. Reboot.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I tried to update to Mint 19 following the official How-To and it was bugland, so much that the simulator didn't go thru and stopped before the end.
Will try again later.

Cheers

Return to “Software & Applications”