Chrome under Linux Mint 17.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stepnjump
Level 1
Level 1

Chrome under Linux Mint 17.2

Post by stepnjump »

Hi guys,

I have been using google chrome for years. Never had a problem then ran out of disk space and started getting a bunch of problems. Lost all my tabs and now yesterday, I can't even open chrome at all...

When I invoke at the CLI:
/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U

Nothing happens at all!!!

I don't know what to think..... How come it worked just fine before I shut down the computer? Weird

Thanks guys

btw I use linux mint 17.3 Cinnamon and it works in a different user! Must be a configuration issue in the .config/google-chrome directory???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Chrome under Linux Mint 17.2

Post by xenopeek »

To confirm configuration issue on the system that has the problem, create a new user account there (through Users & Groups in menu), log in to the new user and then try starting Google Chrome from there. Does that work?
stepnjump
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stepnjump »

Hi Xenopeak, thanks for getting back to me. It's very nice of you.
Oh yes, it works fine. I have a second account and it works there.
Even when I tried to restart the system, as it was shutting down, it came up there for a while in the corrupted account.
I would really just like to run it for the last time in order to get my open pages and my bookmarks. After that, I will use firefox from now on...

So yes, there is prob a process that is blocking it from opening?
What would be your suggestion?
Thanks again,

Pete StepNjump
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

.config/google-chrome/Default in there you will find a file named Bookmarks you can save that to your new user account
transferring them to firefox may be easy or not. but you can open a chrome with these bookmarks and then export them as HTML then you can import to firefox
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Indeed. Copy the file ~/.config/google-chrome/Default as this has your bookmarks. I think the other file to copy is ~/.config/google-chrome/Last\ Tabs (if copying through terminal, escape the space in the filename with a backslash as shown) and that has the last open tabs. Or possibly the ~/.config/google-chrome/Last\ Session (not sure!).

The bookmarks file (Default) is JSON format and I think Firefox can read it or else there will be a way to import it. It is plain text so human readable.

The Last Tabs / Last Session files are SNSS format and mix binary with human readable text. Trying to read this in a text editor will be a pain and very cumbersome. There is mention of a simple tool and example of how to use it to decode SNSS format files: https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/ ... snss-files. But depending on how many tabs you had open, you may be able to just run this command and get all the URLs of the open tabs that way:
strings ~/.config/google-chrome/Last\ Tabs

Copying the above files to the ~/.config/google-chrome directory of another user, overwriting the files there, may also let you access it. Like, create a new user account, run Google Chrome there once to create the directories and standard files, then copy the files from the old user account into here and start Google Chrome again to possibly be able to access everything that way.
stepnjump
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stepnjump »

Ok thank you very much Xenopeek. I will give that a try. I will report back

StepNjump

Return to “Software & Applications”