Gnome Chess Settings on Xfce

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karmafarmer

Gnome Chess Settings on Xfce

Post by karmafarmer »

Where are they?

Gnome Chess man and info page say to look at the wiki, but the wiki is wrong (for me, at least).

I can't see any settings menu, no way to play black for example,

I'm on Mint 19, but I had this problem on 18 too.

Hope you can help. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Gnome Chess Settings on Xfce

Post by richyrich »

From the graphics on this page, I see that there is a little "Gear" icon in the upper right for Settings and Appearance. The Game Settings link to the right is also informative. Have you changed from full screen to windowed?

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-ches ... ss.html.en
karmafarmer

Post by karmafarmer »

No, haven't changed from full screen.

No, there's no gear icon on mine.

https://i.imgur.com/JcbA7ym.png
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hmm, quite different than on my machine . . . what version of gnome chess are you are using? (menu > help > about)

trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

move your cursor to the outer most left edge of the title bar, left of the New Game button. i believe there is a missing icon but the placeholder should still be there. try maximizing the window
karmafarmer

Post by karmafarmer »

Sorry, nothing works. There's no menu button, no settings button, nothing.

Is there a shortcut key for the settings?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

we found out that in mint/xfce the menu button is off by default
open settings > window manager and move the small upside down triangle icon (Menu) from Hidden into Active. here you can rearrange the close,maximize,minimize buttons
karmafarmer

Post by karmafarmer »

That was it!

Thanks for the help on this. Is there a reason the menu button is hidden by default on Xfce?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ATD (attention to detail) don't know who to blame xfce or mint. i notice that the "stick" menu button doesn't do anything at all, been like that as far as i remember in xfce and it's the same in mint and arch linux

i know xfce is lite desktop and not developed much but now xfce developers are just getting LAZY . i get latest updates in arch linux and xfce doesn't develop any new items they just scramble around settings. for instance the last update was to the whisker menu and what they did is move the menu power options to the right of the the search bar WHY :evil: they also removed the option to have personal icons in the toolbar of thunar ... usually here i will post colorful gripes towards developers [insert insult here]

Return to “Software & Applications”