I'm finding my OS .iso images created with dd getting corrupted. Why?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

I'm finding my OS .iso images created with dd getting corrupted. Why?

Post by linx255 »

Hi,

I've been making OS images for years and have never encountered this issue. I had some cascade failures that turned out to be caused by corrupt .iso file systems, which would not mount. Having restored working backup images and fixed my hard drive ( earlier having tried to restore the corrupted image via dd corrupted the partition screwed up one partition ), now I'm wondering how they got corrupted.

( By the way, I can't use Timeshift for my system due to shortcomings, hence manually managing my own .iso images-- it's complicated but it has to be this way. )

The only time I've had a disk dump operation screw up was when significant disk activity was going on during capture. I don't normally run other applications during capture and my drive seems to check out okay. No errors, e2fsck is good on all partitions.

Clues and suggestions, please?

Thank you
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I'm finding my OS .iso images created with dd getting corrupted. Why?

Post by kreemoweet »

Are you sure you meant to day "dd"? Last I heard, dd outputs raw, byte-for-byte disk/partition images, not ISO file system images.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I'm finding my OS .iso images created with dd getting corrupted. Why?

Post by linx255 »

Hm.

I've been using 'dd' ( disk dump ) to create .iso images for years with perfect success until whatever caused this corruption. Well even if it's not creating ISO format, the data is stored in .iso file, which I've always used to restore OS file systems with no issues. In this case, the .iso extension is irrelevant has no meaning. I don't recall why I use the extension come to think of it. :?: I should just remove it to eliminate confusion if nothing else.

I don't think actual ISO format would support my file system and all the special attributes. Could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm now having suspicions the corruption occurred when I inadvertently tried to dd a live OS... I'm going to go with that theory, so post is solved. Also, I'm removing .iso extension from my images just for clarity's sake. Thank you for pointing out the distinction.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash

Return to “Software & Applications”