Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
botc
Level 1
Level 1

Gloria and Mozilla programs -> Slow window management

Post by botc »

A strange problem appeared when I upgraded my system from Felicia to Gloria: Opening Firefox or Thunderbird makes window management sluggish. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the actual performance of the system (or the Mozilla apps), but minimizing/restoring/closing/switching windows (either from the taskbar or with ALT+TAB) becomes very sluggish. This happens with both Metacity and Compiz, though is of course more visible with Compiz. In addition I've managed to crash the whole X by using the Compiz Ring Switcher with the Firefox running, this has never ever happened in Felicia.

I've tried to disable all the extensions and plugins of the Firefox, but that didn't help. I also downloaded the ISO of Gloria and booted the system from the CD to see if a clean installation would have the same problem. Turns out it would.

I would be grateful for any help on this problem. Thanks!

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Gloria and Mozilla programs -> Slow window management

Post by richyrich »

Sounds like you may have the ATI / Intel video bug . . . so, what flavour of VGA card do you have? Please be as specific as possible.
If you do not know, please open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

lspci
( L S P C I )
then copy and paste it to this thread.

regards, Richard

botc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by botc »

This is a thinkpad R50 laptop with ATI videocard:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Okay, have you installed the ATI Proprietary Drivers? (through EnvyNG?), or are you using the open-source "radeon" driver?

famaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by famaster »

Hi,

I've had a similar problem, but in my case, the computer just freezes, or the wallpaper is black or blurred. I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem, and it goes away after I lower the resolution, but I liked having the higher resolution and the programs/effects working more smoothly.

I tried to install the ATI drivers from both EnvyNg and the driver from the ATI website, but I after restarting the computer never makes it to to the login screen. I also noticed that while booting, all the components load fine except for fglrx.

One other note: I'm using ATI Radeon X300, but for some reason EnvyNg says it's not compatible nor recommended. When I used LinuxMint 6 KDE, it automatically detected my driver and asked if I wanted to install it, which worked great! Does Gloria have something similar to this? I like the new version, but I'm not the best at getting things to work right.

Thanks in advance!

botc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by botc »

I'm using the open source driver, the proprietary ATI driver doesn't work with this card. It's the same driver I've been using with Felicia and before that with other distributions.

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

I've noticed the same problem - not necessarily because of Mozilla, but Mozilla definitely amplifies the problem. All my desktop effects are slow & sluggish in Gloria compared to Ubuntu 8.04

I didn't know there was a known bug to go along with it. Thanks for the heads up..
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Yup, ATI caught everyone by :shock: surprise, when they stopped supporting older hardware ( someone said 2 years!!!). One nice thing they did right after all the backlash, was release the source code, sooo, hopefully sometime soon we'll have fresh open-source ATI drivers! :D

Though probablly not real soon ! :(

regards, Richard

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

Well, I'm reading up on some bug reports, and the big ones for Intel I see are for Kubuntu pre-release Jaunty. Here I am in Gloria (Intel 945GM) and I just ran glxgears with a frame rate of a shade over 100fps inside a badly flickering window.

$ glxgears
578 frames in 5.1 seconds = 113.092 FPS
540 frames in 5.0 seconds = 107.178 FPS
600 frames in 5.1 seconds = 116.532 FPS
520 frames in 5.0 seconds = 103.790 FPS
(I used to get 500+ fps in Hardy Heron.)

I went and looked at the Intel graphics how-to at UF and my xorg.conf file doesn't match the one he puts up (he says it should match his exactly)

Here's mine - rather plain and empty:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection
Here's what that guy says it should match:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Option		"AccelMethod"			"uxa"
	Option		"EXAOptimizeMigration"		"true"
	Option		"MigrationHeuristic"		"greedy"
	Option		"Tiling"			"true" # i8xx users: see note in guide
EndSection
I've read so far that enabling uxa is a workaround for this, but that it cause system instability and freezes/crashes on a fairly regular basis. I have no idea what to do about this, but using a workaround that takes a slow, sloppy system to an unstable crash-fest isn't much of a workaround in my book.

How the hell did this happen? How did Intel graphics chipsets get flushed down the toilet on this release? How did this make it past the QC process? I got slow, choppy animations, artifacts all over my screen... Between this and the horribly slow USB/Network transfers* that appeared out of nowhere after kernel 2.6.24-18, I'm thinking of giving Ubuntu (and, sorry, Ubuntu-based distros) a little shelf time.

*I can honestly say that USB and Network transfer speeds aren't as bad in Gloria as they were for me in Hardy Heron - anywhere from three to five times faster, actually. But they're nowhere near as fast as they were in pre- 2.6.24-18 kernel version days.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Quite a few posts here show users editing their xorg.conf, trying everything to get stability. Some have got it working, some have to keep on trying! :evil:

I'm stayin' with 6 until this all gets ironed out upstream.

good luck, Richard

botc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by botc »

I have no problem with USB/network speeds. It's just the window animations and managing windows that got slow. Unfortunately going back to Felicia is not an option for me :(

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

Here's an update:

Following the conversation at this bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/349568

Led me to this instructional: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler ... riverTo2.4

which is instructions for rolling back your Intel driver to v2.4, which I guess is the version included with Illiterate Ibex. I don't know if that will work for OP or not, but it's something to look into anyways. Maybe some other people who use those totally obscure, outdated, rarely-seen Intel chipsets will find this thread and get some use out of it.

As can be seen in the screen shots, following those instructions and rolling back my driver effectively tripled my frame rate with glxgears. As can also be seen, I'm still left with artifacts and window remnants all over my screen, even after the application is terminated.

I see that bug is now listed as "fixed", so I guess we have to wait for either Krappy Koala or Lamentable Leper to come out before anything (real) gets done about it.

Image Image
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

botc,
Too bad, wish I coulda' helped. :(
May have to do without any effects for a while, at least until a fix is released upstream. Or maybe someone will browse this post with an answer. :wink:

optimize me,
you cracked me up ! :lol: :lol: :lol: roflmao

good luck, and regards, Richard

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh »

To the original poster...this may sound dumb, but make sure you don't have Gnome compositing and Compiz enabled at the same time. That will cause a sluggish response. I also had a sluggish issue going on with Firefox after installing Gloria. Then I realized I didn't turn off Gnome compositing. Now I'm back to the same snappy performance I had in Felicia.

botc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by botc »

Nope, gnome compositing is not on. I think it only has effect when you're running Metacity instead of compiz-decorator (or whatever). I managed to solve the problem partially by switching to older XAA acceleration in xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "xaa"
EndSection

The only problem now is that windowed GL-apps behave strangely. If you for example move the window, the GL-graphics are left behing to mess the screen up. I'm sure this is fixable somehow, but I haven't had time to look into it yet. Fullscreen GL-apps work fine. Oh well... Computers...

uilenspiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uilenspiegel »

I've also got

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

in my Dell Latitude C640, and scrolling/tabbing in Firefox was unbearably slow; but I followed the instructional linked to by optimize me above:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler ... riverTo2.4

and added

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the Device section, and now things are working great. A few notes:

- reverting the driver per the instructions was not enough; I had to add the xorg.conf entries before things improved.
- this is basically an out-of-the-box install of Gloria, Main edition; I'm still playing around and haven't configured or installed anything yet.
- I just fixed this, so I haven't had a chance to see about any artefact or stability problems that may apparently be brought about by the change. I'll update this thread if I start running into problems.

Thanks to all for the help above.

uilenspiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uilenspiegel »

Just to follow up: after almost a week of running after applying the above fixes I have seen no signs of unstable behavior at all. Left the laptop running for over 48 hrs at one point, with no issues.

Return to “Software & Applications”