Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by JosephM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Some of that can already be done with Pix. Probably no need for another entire tool for it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

all41
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5574
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by all41 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 am

If a person wanted to add brightness in an image using Mint 19 how could they do it not using gimp?

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by ajgringo619 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:28 am

all41 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 am
If a person wanted to add brightness in an image using Mint 19 how could they do it not using gimp?
I mentioned Krita before; it was actually listed as an MS Paint alternative (along with Pinta) on https://alternativeto.net/software/micr ... form=linux. It seems like it would work.
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-62-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (435.21)
Image

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by JosephM » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 am

all41 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 am
If a person wanted to add brightness in an image using Mint 19 how could they do it not using gimp?
Open Pix and navigate to the folder with your images. Double click on the image you want to modify. On the right of the top toolbar click the little image icon. In the sidebar that opens choose "Adjust Colors". You can make a number of changes there.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

all41
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5574
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by all41 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:31 pm

JosephM wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 am
all41 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 am
If a person wanted to add brightness in an image using Mint 19 how could they do it not using gimp?
Open Pix and navigate to the folder with your images. Double click on the image you want to modify. On the right of the top toolbar click the little image icon. In the sidebar that opens choose "Adjust Colors". You can make a number of changes there.
Doh--unthinkable.
I did not see those on the right. The only icons/toolbars/buttons I did not explore.

jouni
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by jouni » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:04 pm

I found a working solution on some forum. Install mono-devel. Well, I installed the whole thing, mono-complete. Not sure if you need it.
https://www.mono-project.com/download/s ... wnload-lin
Linux Mint 19, Pinta from default repo, version 1.6, mono version 4.6.2.

User avatar
mingle
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by mingle » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:20 am

Yep, it bombs on LM 19.1 xfce 64-bit too....

A real shame, as it's perfect from simple image and photo editing. GIMP is a pain and so counter-intuitive.

Giving the Mono workaround a go, but it's installing a shed-load of crap...

Mike.

User avatar
karlchen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11220
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Germany

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by karlchen » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi, all41.

One clarification in advance:
Just because I chose 3 of your posts about Pinta in order to submit my "Pinta" comments as replies, does not mean that I am trying to argue with you specifically. You just happened to express best the points of view on Pinta, which I do not share. So nothing personal. :wink:
all41 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 pm
I confirm Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Mate.
Repeatable.
Open an image, draw a line, and Pinta closes immediately
Hm. Might something specific to Mint 19 64-bit Mate.
Cannot reproduce the same on genuine Ubuntu 18.04.1 64-bit Mate.
Opened a jpg file (image), "polluted" it with a dozen of random lines. Pinta could not be bothered to crash.

~~~
all41 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 pm
Why is a known non working application still offered in the repositories for Mint 19?
Because it works on genuine Ubuntu 18.04.1 64-bit Mate. :D
In case it really does not on Mint 19 then this might be a problem introduced by Mint 19. But before committing the heresy of suggesting something to this effect, I will try my Pinta on Linux Mint 19 32-bit Cinnamon + xfce and report back ... :P

~~~
all41 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:08 pm
Yes I think there is a need for a basic simple gui based image editor.
size, basic brightness/contrast/gamma/saturation settings, and export to normal formats.
You are suggesting XnviewMP, aren't you? :D

~~~

In case Pinta development should really have come to a final standstill, then of course in the long run, Pinta should be removed from the official Ubuntu software repositories.

Cheers,
Karl
Image
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

User avatar
karlchen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11220
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Germany

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by karlchen » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:05 pm

jouni wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:04 pm
I found a working solution on some forum. Install mono-devel. Well, I installed the whole thing, mono-complete. Not sure if you need it. https://www.mono-project.com/download/s ... wnload-lin
Linux Mint 19, Pinta from default repo, version 1.6, mono version 4.6.2.
Hm. No mono-devel here or mono-complete.

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list pinta mono* | grep "^ii"
ii  mono-4.0-gac          4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 all          Mono GAC tool (for CLI 4.0)
ii  mono-gac              4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 all          Mono GAC tool
ii  mono-runtime          4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 amd64        Mono runtime - default version
ii  mono-runtime-common   4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 amd64        Mono runtime - common files
ii  mono-runtime-sgen     4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 amd64        Mono runtime - SGen
ii  pinta                 1.6-2                 all          Simple drawing/painting program

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: computer Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 
           info: mate-panel wm: marco 1.20.1 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 
So no workaround needed here, but plain vanilla installation of pinta and the dependencies which the package defines.
Image
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

User avatar
phd21
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9170
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by phd21 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi all41 & Others,

There are many image applications that can do basic to advanced image editing including brightness.

+1 for XnViewMP and Pix

I recommend "Kolourpaint" for a light very fast basic image editor option.

...
XnViewMP_Adjustments1.jpg
XnViewMP
.
Kolourpaint_Adjustments1.jpg
Kolourpaint
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

all41
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5574
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by all41 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:05 pm

karlchen wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:28 pm
Hi, all41.

One clarification in advance:
Just because I chose 3 of your posts about Pinta in order to submit my "Pinta" comments as replies, does not mean that I am trying to argue with you specifically. You just happened to express best the points of view on Pinta, which I do not share. So nothing personal. :wink:
all41 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 pm
I confirm Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Mate.
Repeatable.
Open an image, draw a line, and Pinta closes immediately
Hm. Might something specific to Mint 19 64-bit Mate.
Cannot reproduce the same on genuine Ubuntu 18.04.1 64-bit Mate.
Opened a jpg file (image), "polluted" it with a dozen of random lines. Pinta could not be bothered to crash.

~~~
all41 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 pm
Why is a known non working application still offered in the repositories for Mint 19?
Because it works on genuine Ubuntu 18.04.1 64-bit Mate. :D
In case it really does not on Mint 19 then this might be a problem introduced by Mint 19. But before committing the heresy of suggesting something to this effect, I will try my Pinta on Linux Mint 19 32-bit Cinnamon + xfce and report back ... :P

~~~
all41 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:08 pm
Yes I think there is a need for a basic simple gui based image editor.
size, basic brightness/contrast/gamma/saturation settings, and export to normal formats.
You are suggesting XnviewMP, aren't you? :D

~~~

In case Pinta development should really have come to a final standstill, then of course in the long run, Pinta should be removed from the official Ubuntu software repositories.

Cheers,
Karl
This is an older post--
@karlchen,
This is a forum where all thoughts are appreciated--especially those from enlightened members.
Thanks for posting
Also please note that I was just helping a forum member here by verifying the issue that was reported

bjmh46
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by bjmh46 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:50 am

I have no idea why, but my experience with Pinta in Mint 19 xfce has been pretty much like Karlchen. Straight clean install of 19 beta, converted to final release per instructions on the Mint blog. Pinta 1.6 installed from repo, default mono, hardware as in inxi below:

Code: Select all

:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mnt19 Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 24661T7 v: ThinkPad L430 serial: N/A
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 24661T7 v: Win8 Pro DPK TPG serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: G3ETA8WW(2.68) date: 05/04/2017
Battery    BAT0: charge: 28.1 Wh 95.6% condition: 29.4/56.2 Wh (52%)
           model: SANYO 45N1013 status: N/A
           hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
           model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 status: Discharging
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3320M (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10376
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1736 MHz 2: 1962 MHz 3: 1404 MHz 4: 1412 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           version: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-43-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: enp12s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 395.1GB (6.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT275MX3 size: 275.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Silicon size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 59G used: 8.5G (16%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0C mobo: 28.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 195 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 467.5/7558.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 
I've been using Pinta as my go-to for quick modifications, and XnViewMP for certain batch modifications since Mint 17 or maybe even before. (Mint 13 is a distant memory). Sad to hear it's no longer being developed, but obviously it can run successfully on Mint 19 xfce. I usually remove Gimp (I do keep it on one system) as I very seldom need the capbilities.

Regards
Bob

User avatar
karlchen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11220
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Germany

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by karlchen » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:28 am

Hello, All41.
all41 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:05 pm
This is an older post
Oops. Yes. Right. Had not paid attention to the fact that the whole thread had not had any updates for quite a while, before a new post got appended on December 24th. :oops:
This is a forum where all thoughts are appreciated
Well, our opposite experience with Pinta does not even mean that either of us is doing something wrong.
Pinta depends on quite a few mono packages. We might merely be sitting at the opposite ends of "the shared library dependency hell".
What still works on a default installation might get broken at some later point in time, when other software, which we install, brings along more shared libraries or newer versions of already installed shared libraries; and all of a sudden as a side-effect Pinta stops working.

Those who suggested that Pinta is no longer actively maintained might be right. Last update on its homepage 3.5 years ago: Pinta Release Notes 1.6. So it may really be wiser to start looking for Pinta alternatives, which are still maintained by their developers.

Best regards,
Karl
Image
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

all41
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5574
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by all41 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:35 pm

After revisiting this thread I installed Pinta in 19.1 MATE and the problem
has been mitigated. I reinstalled a 19v2 MATE to see if the problems could be
duplicated but Pinta seems to work fine there now as well.
Not sure -- perhaps I had MATE 19beta or 19v1 installed when I noticed the reported issues though.

gemk65
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by gemk65 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

I have just recently installed Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, and I noted that, while Pinta could be installed, it is unusable because it crashes and freezes as soon as I try to do my usual basic operations with it -- opening a file or cropping in particular.

I need a small lightweight image editor, so I read this post, and I found that Kolourpaint works well and meets my fairly simple requirements.

I am disappointed about Pinta, because I really liked it, coming from Windows and Paintshop Pro. I hope that someone decides to fix it in the future.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9181
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by Moem » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:49 pm

gemk65 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm
I have just recently installed Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, and I noted that, while Pinta could be installed, it is unusable because it crashes and freezes as soon as I try to do my usual basic operations with it -- opening a file or cropping in particular.
I had that exact same problem, and installing a newer version of Mono fixed it for me. I followed the instructions for Ubuntu, found here.

But cropping an image can be done easily in Pix, too, and you probably already have that installed.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gemk65
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Re: Pinta crashes in Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by gemk65 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you, Moem.I didn't know about Pix's capabilities.

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”