[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19 Software Manager Issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GNULinuxUser

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19 Software Manager Issues

Post by GNULinuxUser »

Prologue (ignore if you want):

Hey, Linux Mint friendly forum people who are also useful and knowledgeable,

I just did a fresh install of Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. It didn't work at first but after running in recovery mode and then resume boot it went into software rendering mode and the notification reminded me that GPU acceleration wasn't on. That's when I realised, whatever GPU acceleration I was using when logging in normally was rendering the system inoperable, so I installed nvidia-driver-390 to correct the problem. (I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7567, with Intel Graphics and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB.)

The issue: Software Manager was taking forever to update the cache so I uninstalled and reinstalled it via terminal. When I ran it the next time it completed updating the cache quickly but there are no ratings and it doesn't quit. I can click the close button until force quit is offered but then it won't relaunch in that user session,

I am also using a apt.conf file to authenticate a proxy.

What I would suggest is a way in which I can reset the cache.

Also how do you make the Linux Mint Software Manager recognise applications installed from the terminal When clicking "Show installed applications"?

The real issue is ever since Linux Mint 19 there's this weird generating cache feature that acquires ratings and reviews that needs a direct connection, I can no longer use just an apt.conf file like LM 18.3. The way I skipped it is by searching for programs, I now recall.

So the new question is how to generate ratings/reviews cache in Linux Mint 19 software manager through a proxy.

Sorry for marking this thread as solved only to reopen it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Linux Mint 19 Software Manager Issues

Post by gm10 »

GNULinuxUser wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:39 pmThe issue: Software Manager was taking forever to update the cache so I uninstalled and reinstalled it via terminal. When I ran it the next time it completed updating the cache quickly but there are no ratings and it doesn't quit. I can click the close button until force quit is offered but then it won't relaunch in that user session,
Yeah, it's pretty unstable. One of the reasons I don't really use it. When it hangs like that run this from a terminal, then you can start it again:

Code: Select all

killall mintinstall
GNULinuxUser wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:39 pm What I would suggest is a way in which I can reset the cache.
The cache is in ~/.cache/mintinstall, you can delete that entire folder or just the parts you want (e.g. the reviews.cache)
GNULinuxUser wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:39 pm Also how do you make the Linux Mint Software Manager recognise applications installed from the terminal When clicking "Show installed applications"?
You don't, at least not easily. Every time you install an application via Software Manager it write that package name to the dconf user database:

Code: Select all

dconf read /com/linuxmint/install/installed-apps
You can append packages to that but there's no good way to do it automatically unless you don't mind adding all packages that come pre-installed, too.
GNULinuxUser

Re: Linux Mint 19 Software Manager Issues

Post by GNULinuxUser »

Thank-you gm10.
GNULinuxUser

Re: [EDIT NOT SOLVED] Linux Mint 19 Software Manager Issues

Post by GNULinuxUser »

The real issue is ever since Linux Mint 19 there's this weird generating cache feature that acquires ratings and reviews that needs a direct connection, I can no longer use just an apt.conf file like LM 18.3. The way I skipped it is by searching for programs, I now recall.

So the new question is how to generate ratings/reviews cache in Linux Mint 19 software manager through a proxy.

Sorry for marking this thread as solved only to reopen it.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

GNULinuxUser wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 am So the new question
...deserves a new thread.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
GNULinuxUser

Post by GNULinuxUser »

Alright, thanks catweazel.

Return to “Software & Applications”