How to open a port in Mint 19

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robt

How to open a port in Mint 19

Post by robt »

Forgive me if I did not post this in the correct place. I am new to Linux. I have installed Mint 19 Cinnamon on my computer. I am trying to run run Think or Swim software by TDAmeritrade and I was told I need to open Port 7009. Please tell me how to do this. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: How to open a port in Mint 19

Post by Mattyboy »

Code: Select all

man iptables

Code: Select all

iptables --help
Loads of iptables tuts on youtube.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

^ that's harsh. That reminds me of the "why people go back to Windows" thread. :P

Just go to Firewall Configuration from the menu, check that your firewall is even running ("Status: "). It isn't enabled by default. If it's enabled, then click on rules, click the + at the bottom left to create a new one, then click on Simple and the rest should be self-explanatory.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

gm10 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 am ^ that's harsh. That reminds me of the "why people go back to Windows" thread. :P
Hey.. if you're gonna do it, do it properly :lol:

Yeah ok, fair point.. I forget about GUI options :wink:
robt

Post by robt »

Thanks gm10 for your specific answer and help to my question. That was what I was looking for. Before posting I did a google search and a search here, but could not find an answer. I thought I would post here on the Linux Mint forums as my problem was specific to it.

Return to “Software & Applications”