Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

PPAs and bionic [Solved]

Post by Portreve »

[Note to Mods: If this discussion is improperly placed, please feel free to move it. -P]

I'm going to start out by saying I don't my butt from a hole in the ground where a lot of the system underpinnings or really anything to do with development are concerned. Therefore, if this seems like a silly or even naïve question and discussion from me, I cop to it and apologize in advance.

It is my intent to install the current version of FontForge. It would seem generally that distros don't have the latest version; usually, they have fairly dated versions. I'm not at all certain why this is, but nevertheless it's something to contend with.

When I attempt to add the ppa for fontforge, ppa:fontforge/fontforge I get the following error: This PPA does not support bionic.

Clearly, this is something new with LM 19 because the ppa set up perfectly well for me in LM 18.3.

Is this a significant thing? Is it possible (and safe) to bypass this or get around it?

Alternatively:
  1. Is it possible to get either Ubuntu or LM to grab and curate the source, then make it available through standard distro repos? or
  2. Is there a good set of instructions available to comprehensively guide a non-developer (such as myself) through installing this or any other program from source?
Thanks in advance, folks!
Last edited by Portreve on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Re: PPAs and bionic

Post by aes2011 »

As of now, there isn't a ppa for bionic: https://launchpad.net/~fontforge/+archi ... /fontforge

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Portreve.

If you look at the PPA homepage on Launchpad, FontForge, you may easily find out that indeed the last supported Ubuntu release was 17.04.
It happens every now and then that developers stop maintaining their software and their PPA.
There is little which can be done prevent this from happening.
Manuall downloading and installing an outdated .deb software package from Launchpad may give you a fuly functional piece of software or it may not. No way to foretell.
Running an abandoned piece of software can never be considered safe. It might work well on Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19 or not at all.

I highly doubt that either the Ubuntu developers or the Linux Mint developers feel like adopting any abandoned piece of software and its PPA and incorporate it into their portfolio.

Why should FontForge, among all the abandoned pieces of software, be so special and indispensible? - Serious question. Seems, personally I have never even noticed that it ever existed.

Best regards,
Karl
--
Addendum:

Is FontForge not simply available from the regular Ubuntu 18.04 software repositories? - Me thinks it is. - Hard to check, because I am logged in on a Windows machine at the moment.
fontforge package in Ubuntu
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

The current version is not. A somewhat dated version which has issues with TTCs is what's present.

I was wrong. Having double-checked things, I just realized the version in the repo is the version github shows as being the current one.

Thanks, karlchen. I was an idiot. :lol:
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: PPAs and bionic [Solved]

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Portreve.
No need to call yourself names. Else in my function as a moderator I might have to warn you officially for being rude to yourself. :lol:
Moreover the last thing which occurred to me was checking whether fontforge might not be available in the official repos. As we both found out it is.

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy fontforge
fontforge:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:20170731~dfsg-1
  Version table:
     1:20170731~dfsg-1 500
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 Packages
All is well that ends well. :)
Cheers,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Linux Mint 19.x has a lot of current versions of software unlike previous versions of Linux Mint, and some software that was not available before in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) is now (ie: SimpleScreenRecorder, etc...), so always check the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) to see if it already has the most current version of whatever software you want.

But, after installing various editions of Linux Mint 19, there is still a lot of software that I use that is not available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and their PPA's have not yet been updated for Linux Mint 19 based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic. I found that if you search for and go to the PPA's website and click "view package details" mid-way down on the right usually, on the next screen will be easy to install Linux Deb files anyone can download by clicking "Xenial based on Ubuntu 16.04" or "Zesty based on Ubuntu 17.04" packages which will easily install and work in Linux Mint 19.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

phd21, you seem to have missed that Portreve found the FontForge version, which he wanted to have, in the official Ubuntu 18.04 software repos. So there is no need to install a .deb package, published for a previous Ubuntu version.

Return to “Software & Applications”