Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
vw98075
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by vw98075 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm

I scan over the version 19 release document, but can't see any statements on some problems I have to deal them on a daily base. Does it fix the following problems?
  • In a Windows and Linux Mind dual boot, the time is different between Windows and Linux Mint.
  • In a Windows and Linx Mind dual boot, the sound doesn't work properly on Linxu Mint

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7755
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by catweazel » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:05 am

vw98075 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm
I scan over the version 19 release document, but can't see any statements on some problems I have to deal them on a daily base. Does it fix the following problems?
  • In a Windows and Linux Mind dual boot, the time is different between Windows and Linux Mint.
  • In a Windows and Linx Mind dual boot, the sound doesn't work properly on Linxu Mint
Linux Mint the distro is a separate animal to Cinnamon the desktop environment. If you want to know what was fixed in, say Cinnamon 3.8, then you go the github page: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/b ... /changelog
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10976
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 am

vw98075 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm
I scan over the version 19 release document, but can't see any statements on some problems I have to deal them on a daily base. Does it fix the following problems?
  • In a Windows and Linux Mind dual boot, the time is different between Windows and Linux Mint.
This should fix that:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... Linux-Mint
(item 24, right column)
  • In a Windows and Linx Mind dual boot, the sound doesn't work properly on Linxu Mint
In *your* Linux Mint. Has nothing to do with dual boot, by the way.
Newer kernels usually fix that kind of problems, so yeah, give 19 a try...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

vw98075
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by vw98075 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 am
vw98075 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm
I scan over the version 19 release document, but can't see any statements on some problems I have to deal them on a daily base. Does it fix the following problems?
  • In a Windows and Linux Mind dual boot, the time is different between Windows and Linux Mint.
This should fix that:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... Linux-Mint
(item 24, right column)
  • In a Windows and Linx Mind dual boot, the sound doesn't work properly on Linxu Mint
In *your* Linux Mint. Has nothing to do with dual boot, by the way.
Newer kernels usually fix that kind of problems, so yeah, give 19 a try...
Thanks for the info.

To my reading, it is not a fix in v19, but a way to work around the problem.
Last edited by vw98075 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valsodar
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 pm
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Contact:

Re: Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by Valsodar » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 pm

vw98075 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm
  • In a Windows and Linx Mind dual boot, the sound doesn't work properly on Linxu Mint
You need to use ALSA driver. It's installed by default but you must set Mint to use it manually. Open "sound settings" and if you see a device named "Line Out Integrated Sound", that's ALSA and when you click it, you can choose different setups for your audio system - from 2.0 to 5.1 in my case.
If you can't see such a device, then you're still on PulseAudio and you'll have to manually install ALSA driver using Synaptic.

User avatar
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8469
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA USA

Re: Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by jimallyn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:48 pm

vw98075 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm
In a Windows and Linux Mind dual boot, the time is different between Windows and Linux Mint.
That's a long standing problem in Windows, which doesn't use UTC like any normal operating system would do. The solution to fix it is to download this registry entry in Windows:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... FixUTC.reg

and double click it to install it. This comes from this article:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/09/dual-boo ... tween.html

which will also tell you how to work around it by changing something in Linux. (Linux is perfect in every way and doesn't need changing, but some people prefer to change Linux anyway.)
Image

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

vw98075
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by vw98075 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:13 pm

After I applied the command by following the instruction Pjotr provided, the system clock problem is resolved on the 18.3 version.

vw98075
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: Does the version 19 Cinnamon fix some problems in the version 18?

Post by vw98075 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Valsodar wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 pm
vw98075 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm
  • In a Windows and Linx Mind dual boot, the sound doesn't work properly on Linxu Mint
You need to use ALSA driver. It's installed by default but you must set Mint to use it manually. Open "sound settings" and if you see a device named "Line Out Integrated Sound", that's ALSA and when you click it, you can choose different setups for your audio system - from 2.0 to 5.1 in my case.
If you can't see such a device, then you're still on PulseAudio and you'll have to manually install ALSA driver using Synaptic.
I can't see any drivers on the sound panel. There are four tabs: input, output, sound effects, and applications on the panel. Which tab I can find the driver?

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxs
System:    Host: oem-Vostro-270s Kernel: 4.4.0-112-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.3 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Dell product: Vostro 270s
           Mobo: Dell model: 0XFWHV v: A00 Bios: Dell v: A11 date: 10/14/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-3470S (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 23155
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 1795 MHz 2: 1798 MHz 3: 1794 MHz
           4: 1799 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-112-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 1c:3e:84:8f:e8:03
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: a4:1f:72:7b:bb:19
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (8.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 189G used: 77G (43%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 212 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 2483.8/7855.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”