Thunderbird 60 Released

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Thunderbird 60 Released

Post by JerryC58 »

I believe I read that this is not an upgrade but must be installed from scratch. Does anyone know if it can run side-by-side with my current version (52.9.1) of Thunderbird?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Thunderbird 60 Released

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JerryC58.

As soon as Thunderbird 60 will be available in the official Ubuntu repositories, it will be offered to Linux Mint users as an update installation by Linux Mint Update Manager. I am pretty certain.
This update installation will replace Thunderbird 52.9.1.
Same as with any previous Thunderbird update.

What has been written with respect to the internal Thunderbird updater under Windows, that the 52.9.1 updater will not offer to update to 60 at this point in time, is of no relevance on Linux Mint.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

karlchen wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:23 pm As soon as Thunderbird 60 will be available in the official Ubuntu repositories
Can't wait for that! The current version has a major bug I can't stand anymore and I can only hope they have fixed it in v60.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait til it's in the repositories.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Valsodar wrote:The current version has a major bug I can't stand anymore and I can only hope they have fixed it in v60.
Thunderbird 60.0 Release Notes

Joe
msjohns1

Post by msjohns1 »

Valsodar wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm
karlchen wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:23 pm As soon as Thunderbird 60 will be available in the official Ubuntu repositories
Can't wait for that! The current version has a major bug I can't stand anymore and I can only hope they have fixed it in v60.
Boy, I can't wait either. But it's going on 6 weeks now. Google calendar integration to Lightning is broken and it apparently is resolved in TB 60. Anyone have a clue when this will be pushed to the repos?
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Yeah - I was wondering when/if this is happening. Is it being saved for 19.1 for some odd reason?
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

msjohns1 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 pm
Valsodar wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm
Boy, I can't wait either. But it's going on 6 weeks now. Google calendar integration to Lightning is broken and it apparently is resolved in TB 60. Anyone have a clue when this will be pushed to the repos?
Are you using this plugin https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... -calendar/ with Lightning? Was working fine for me on Fedora but I don't have that machine in front of me to verify versions. If you don't have it, give it a try...might help. Installs/removes like any other lightning plugin.
andilge

Post by andilge »

Thunderbird 60 is out for Ubuntu, please refer to
https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... rbird-next
for more details and ppa.

I've installed the upgrade since I was annoyed by the bug with the google calendar complement. The outcome was not satisfying, lightning calendar doesn't show up as compatible with TB60, needs manual editing of config (reset extensions.strictCompatibility => check details googeling). Other issue is GUI localization seems to be limited to English only.

I didn't manage a successful result and had to roll back to TB52. Probably someone else has more luck than I had and can report here?
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

andilge wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:41 pm Thunderbird 60 is out for Ubuntu, please refer to
https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... rbird-next
for more details and ppa.

I've installed the upgrade since I was annoyed by the bug with the google calendar complement. The outcome was not satisfying, lightning calendar doesn't show up as compatible with TB60, needs manual editing of config (reset extensions.strictCompatibility => check details googeling). Other issue is GUI localization seems to be limited to English only.

I didn't manage a successful result and had to roll back to TB52. Probably someone else has more luck than I had and can report here?
This is the Beta PPA not the stable branch
andilge

Post by andilge »

... just installed LMDE3 and there, Thunderbird 60 comes out of the box, no hassle at all. AddOn Lighning though needs to be installed manually as a beta release. Once you have overcome this hurdle, AddOn Google calendar can be installed as an official AddOn and it will work flawlessly, no problems anymore with Google OAuth, the different google calendars show up, can be chosen and integrated into Lightning.

I'm a little disappointed about that all, why is Linux Mint on Debian ahead of the Ubuntu based versions? There is no technical obstacle, it seems to be a political issue :roll:
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

andilge wrote:I'm a little disappointed about that all, why is Linux Mint on Debian ahead of the Ubuntu based versions? There is no technical obstacle, it seems to be a political issue :roll:
Isn't it just that one is governed by the Debian repositories, and the other is governed by the Ubuntu repositories?

Joe
kettcar

Post by kettcar »

Anyone who can explain to me why Thunderbird 60.x is still not in the LM repository?
A lot of security fixes came with version 60 and with 60.2.1 a few days ago.

In matter of security: What's best? Using webmail via Firefox (62.0.3 released on October 2nd is in the LM repo)?

To be honest: I don't understand why there is this difference between the update-policy of Thunderbird and (for example) Firefox.
Is there some mail client that gets updated more frequently in LM?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

kettcar wrote:Anyone who can explain to me why Thunderbird 60.x is still not in the LM repository? ... I don't understand why there is this difference between the update-policy of Thunderbird and (for example) Firefox.
Thunderbird does not come from a Linux Mint repository. It's governed by Ubuntu, in a repository of theirs, which LM does leverage, but LM does not control.

Firefox does come from a Linux Mint repository, and hence a different governance in its updates.

You can verify the origin of any package in Synaptic, or I'm sure there's an apt option as well.

Joe
kettcar

Post by kettcar »

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 am Thunderbird does not come from a Linux Mint repository. It's governed by Ubuntu, in a repository of theirs, which LM does leverage, but LM does not control.
Thanks. Now I get it. So it seems the maintainer of the Thunderbird package is still working on this build.
Strange thing. There are so many ubuntu installations (with all the derivates) out there - if they rely on this repository they really have to be patient.

I'm using the ppa of the Ubuntu Mozilla Security Team now. Hope that will not critical affect the stability.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

kettcar wrote:There are so many ubuntu installations (with all the derivates) out there - if they rely on this repository they really have to be patient.
Indeed. And to your point, and while I certainly can't speak for the maintainers, perhaps they are preferring the stability of the mature 52.x branch over the features of the new 60.x branch, for now at least.

Joe
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi,

cannot tell what prevents the Ubuntu Mozilla Security team from publishing Thunderbird 60.2.1 in the official Ubuntu software repositories. Yet, for those, who know what they are doing, I can tell that I added the Ubuntu Mozilla Security PPA to the list of my repos, ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa. [1]
Get the most recent Thunderbird releases on my systems via Update Manager, as soon as the Ubuntu Mozilla Security team assume, it is ready for using.

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list thunderbird
||/ Name                        Version            Architecture       Description
+++-===========================-==================-==================-===========================================================
ii  thunderbird                 1:60.2.1+build1-0u i386               Email, RSS and newsgroup client with integrated spam filter
Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
zabba

Post by zabba »

Many thanks karlchen!

I learned what to do and did :D
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

You can set it up and upgrade Thunderbird and Firefox with these commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Lord Boltar wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am sudo apt-get upgrade
That isn't recommended. It bypasses the Mint update levels and causes all updates to be applied. I recommend you don't advise people to use it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Software & Applications”