clonezilla stuck at transfer point

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laurel
Level 1
Level 1

clonezilla stuck at transfer point

Post by laurel »

hi all, i managed to make the boot load usb and got it running in a lenovo thinkpad thats got a wonky drive
cinnamon mint sarah 64
all sort of went well until i nominated an external hard drive its got 3 partitions ones 250gig and empty(other 2 have windows stuff) it all came to a screeching halt as it seems- unable to connect to drive- that was what the message said
which is weird cos it "saw it" when i nominated where i wanted it to clone to?
I couldnt get out or back so i turned the laptop off in desperation;-(
do i maybe need to have an entirely empty drive to clone onto?
I thought clonezilla could find drives and partitions?
utterly stumped
i was working through the steps using the howto clonezilla tutorial
though i did get a couple of purple screens the chap doing it did not..
but i got them following what he showed to do..
miles from any tech n linux people and really need to save this info.
if it ever works i then have to REclone it to a new drive back in the laptop
anybody know if i have to load a copy OF mint into that before i do it?
i didnt think i would have to but while im here i may as well add to the grief;-/
Im feeling a bit like the person that was told to put the pc back in the box and ask for a refund about now;-(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TechnoTron

Re: clonezilla stuck at transfer point

Post by TechnoTron »

I won't claim to be a guru, but I was struggling with this my self recently. I started using Clonezilla to make an image file. In the end I made a live USB with Puppy Linux and put the new SSD in the laptop. Then I bought a 2,5 inch SATA to USB cable to plug in the old one. In Puppy you can start Gparted and move the partitions over one by one. (If your new drive is smaller, you need to resize the old partitions first.) There's even a function in Puppy to make the Grub work with your Windows. All in GUI. I suppose it would work with a live Mint USB too, but Puppy is really small, so it's super fast.

Are you cloning from an older HDD? It might have ground to a halt physically. I which case I would recommend saving all you need (pics/docs) to an external disk or cloud.
laurel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laurel »

thanks for responding, i didnt see a notification you had.
it sounds even more confusing that the mess I am in and the gparted n stuff..I was trying to avoid the code thing;-/
after many many more attempts even getting it to "see the external a couple of times... it wouldnt copy over and i just dont need the stress n headaches,
after searching many pages and posts i couldnt find what i needed
so some lucky chap is going to earn some money sorting it for me;-(
Im going to mark this as solved even though it wasnt really.
its why ive kept using xp even though i far prefer to lose the msoft taint from my life.

aargh and now i cant find where i DO mark this as solved!
put the cursor on everything i found and ???
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

TechnoTron wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 am If your new drive is smaller, you need to resize the old partitions first.
There's no need for that. If you know exactly how much space your OS has taken and it's less than the size of the new partition, there's an option in Clonezilla under "Advanced options" to make it skip checking partition size. Using this option I recently placed Windows (originally on a 120GB partition) in a partition with size 65GB (because there were some files I forgot to archive before making the backup and I needed to have them back). With that option in question Windows was placed on the 65GB partition and working.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
TechnoTron

Post by TechnoTron »

Valsodar wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 am
TechnoTron wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 am If your new drive is smaller, you need to resize the old partitions first.
There's no need for that. If you know exactly how much space your OS has taken and it's less than the size of the new partition, there's an option in Clonezilla under "Advanced options" to make it skip checking partition size. Using this option I recently placed Windows (originally on a 120GB partition) in a partition with size 65GB (because there were some files I forgot to archive before making the backup and I needed to have them back). With that option in question Windows was placed on the 65GB partition and working.
Sweet. Many options out there.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Valsodar wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 am there's an option in Clonezilla under "Advanced options" to make it skip checking partition size.
Good grief. Even at my age I'm still learning new things. Thanks for that tip.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 am
Valsodar wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 am there's an option in Clonezilla under "Advanced options" to make it skip checking partition size.
Good grief. Even at my age I'm still learning new things. Thanks for that tip.
Be cautious with that option. I've used it and had failures 2 out of three times. Not a huge deal, as clonezilla is good about letting you know (when you see red text where usually it's yellow!) It just wastes time if it fails. I'd rather resize the source partition(s). One other caution, clonezilla will fail if the partition, either source or "home", needs check disk or fsck. For ntfs partitions, if I'm having a problem, first thing I do is boot Hirens usb stick, run mini-xp, and run checkdisk on the partition. For ext partitions, boot your mint usb stick and run fsck. (or run gparted and check, if you prefer a gui) I love clonezilla and have been using it since I converted to linux about 10 years ago. It has a few quirks, but for what it is capable of, it is invaluable!

Bob
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

bjmh46 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:09 am I'd rather resize the source partition(s).
You mean the target partition. The source partition is inside the image and you can't resize it. Well, you can, actually by editing the proper text file but it's not recommended to do it.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV

Return to “Software & Applications”