W: Target Packages configured multiple times [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sethrewha

W: Target Packages configured multiple times [solved]

Post by sethrewha »

I'm rather new to Linux (I've made the full switch just recently and left Microsoft in the dust.)
When I refreshed my update manager today it threw some rather odd errors. As I'm still getting my bearings I don't want to mess anything up.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
Does anyone know how to correct this? I'm not even sure why it happened...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: W: Target Packages configured multiple times

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sethrewha.

Each warning line states that there is a duplicated entry in the software source file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list.

Therefore the solution is by
+ identifying each duplicated line the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
+ removing all duplicates, so that each line in the file will be unique.

In case you need help identifying the duplicated entries, please, post the content of the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list by executing the terminal command

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
and pasting the complete screen output, which the command displays.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
sethrewha

Post by sethrewha »

Thanks for the reply! Terminal returned this:
The one to remove seem rather obvious ;)
Wouldn't happen to know how to do that would you? I found the file but I need root permission to save it.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sethrewha.

On Linux Mint, you can use the application "Software Sources" in order to delete one of the 2 entries from "additional-repositories".

Alternative approach, using a text editor with root permissions:
You can execute the commandline

Code: Select all

sudoedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
in order to edit the file with root permissions and to delete the duplicated line.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
sethrewha

Post by sethrewha »

That sorted it out! Thank you so much!!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: W: Target Packages configured multiple times [solved]

Post by karlchen »

You're welcome. :)
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”