Scanner not working after udates

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ibDoug

Scanner not working after udates

Post by ibDoug »

Just upgraded to Mint 19 and loved it out of the box. Everything that didn't work on 18 did with 19. However, after updating 19's software the scanner no longer works. (Simple Scan) It was working fine after install but now the computer cannot find the printer/scanner.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rally On Dude

Scanner not working after updates

Post by Rally On Dude »

Hello ibDoug,

I have almost the same problem. I am a newbie to Linux and LM19 Cinnamon 64-bit. I successfully installed and updated it. Like you, I tried to scan a doc to no avail. The error message was: "Simple Scan could not connect with your scanner" (or) "Simple Scan could not find your scanner" (tried several times). Obviously, I checked the cabling and power, but they were okay.

The scanner is an HP ScanJet 8200 and I have tried the HP website and their Linux "fix :lol: ." After searching on the forum and the web, it would appear the only real full fix is a download from https://www.hamrick.com. Their product is VueScan. The site is pretty much self-explanatory. After the free trial you would pay a licence fee to unlock the software and get rid of the watermark.

Before, I pay the fee at Hamrick, I hope there is an Obi Wan cogitating on this apparently common problem and they come up with a fix that we all can use :)

Well ta from the Maple Leaf colony and best of luck ubDoug :) ,
Rally On Dude
Last edited by Rally On Dude on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Scanner not working after udates

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Rally On Dude

Re: Scanner not working after updates

Post by Rally On Dude »

Hi ibDoug,

I just tried uninstalling LM 19 Cinnamon, a format and re-installing, just in case the original install was partially corrupted.
That appears to have partially solved the problem. Now when I open Simple Scan, the app window comes up. It recognizes my HP 8200 scanner and states it is ready to scan (didn't do all that before). However, when I hit the scan button it looks like it will work, but then the following error message appears: "Failed to Scan." "Unable to connect to scanner." I know I am a Newbie, but how does the app recognized the scanner yet cannot connect?

Maybe you will get farther than I did with this, but then you may have a lot more on your sys than I did and don't want to try it. Any ideas appreciated!

Rally On Dude

Rally On Dude wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 am Hello ibDoug,

I have almost the same problem. I am a newbie to Linux and LM19 Cinnamon 64-bit. I successfully installed and updated it. Like you, I tried to scan a doc to no avail. The error message was: "Simple Scan could not connect with your scanner" (or) "Simple Scan could not find your scanner" (tried several times). Obviously, I checked the cabling and power, but they were okay.

The scanner is an HP ScanJet 8200 and I have tried the HP website and their Linux "fix :lol: ." After searching on the forum and the web, it would appear the only real full fix is a download from https://www.hamrick.com. Their product is VueScan. The site is pretty much self-explanatory. After the free trial you would pay a licence fee to unlock the software and get rid of the watermark.

Before, I pay the fee at Hamrick, I hope there is an Obi Wan cogitating on this apparently common problem and they come up with a fix that we all can use :)

Well ta from the Maple Leaf colony and best of luck ubDoug :) ,
Rally On Dude
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

This may work for it may not <---disclaimer 😉

Install xsane

and than configure xsane like this....

Select target: Save

Select scan source: ADF Front

Set up the image quality and file naming

Then start the scan
tan159753

Post by tan159753 »

Old topic but incase someone is still stuck I fixed mine by

(1) open file under "/etc/sane.d/aviation.conf" as root

(2) add the text in a new line " option skip-adf"

(3) save and reboot.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

tan159753 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm Old topic but incase someone is still stuck I fixed mine by

(1) open file under "/etc/sane.d/aviation.conf" as root

(2) add the text in a new line " option skip-adf"

(3) save and reboot.
That doesn't work here. Never had any problems with SimpleScan on LM-19, but it won't work on LM-20. Even though I can hear the scanner working, it won't show an image and reports that it can't connect to scanner. Looks like the only way I can use my scanner, is if I run LM-19.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Try running same kernel in LM20 as there was in LM 19. Reboot and test. You can install mainline to install or remove any kernel.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Software & Applications”