Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

LibreOffice Presentation Box/Frame Dimensions

Post by JoHubb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am

I am using Mint 18.3 KDE on a laptop.

As part of a presentation, I wish to frame a photograph with a fine line. So, the frame is drawn a little larger than the photo and printed on a sheet of 100g paper. The photograph is then applied to the sheet using adhesive photo corners.

My problem is that the frame, when printed, is smaller than it should be. I have set the width as 12.4 cm, height 8.6 in landscape on an A4 page.

Box_LibrePresent_png.png
Unfortunately, when printed the box frame measures 12.0 cm x 8.4 cm. With Powerpoint in Windows 10, the printer prints the correct sized box.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem? The workaround I suppose is to compensate by sizing the frame in LibreOffice Presentation larger than actually needed but it shouldn't have to be like that.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LibreOffice Presentation Box/Frame Dimensions

Post by JerryF » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Check to see if in the printer's properties that a setting called 'fit to page' or something like that isn't active. That might be the issue.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks.

No it is not set to 'fit page'. The setting is 'original size' which must mean the page size specified in the program.

I have a feeling that the problem might having something to do with the printer driver. I've been using a generic one because the Canon driver specified for this printer simply doesn't work in Linux Mint, not for me anyway. It would seem that Canon printers (mine's a Pixma ip7250) are not the most Linux-friendly beasts in the world.

I am further cursed by an intermittent, low strength WiFi network in my house. This doesn't help :(

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:02 pm

JoHubb wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm
Thanks.

No it is not set to 'fit page'. The setting is 'original size' which must mean the page size specified in the program.

I have a feeling that the problem might having something to do with the printer driver. I've been using a generic one because the Canon driver specified for this printer simply doesn't work in Linux Mint, not for me anyway. It would seem that Canon printers (mine's a Pixma ip7250) are not the most Linux-friendly beasts in the world.

I am further cursed by an intermittent, low strength WiFi network in my house. This doesn't help :(
Yes, probably the driver. I had the same situation with another printer and when I got the correct driver, all was ok.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 am

Time to change printer.

Thanks for help JerryF.

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 am

JoHubb wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 am
Time to change printer.

Thanks for help JerryF.
I'm sure you probably already tried this but in case you haven't
https://www.supportcanon.com/canon-pixm ... mac-linux/
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks for this. I tried a printer driver (debian version) from that site.

Sadly, it didn't work and I now have a printer which I cannot remove..

Please help! I've a big presentation to do and am panicking!

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Has anyone experience of SoftMaker in Linux or any other program which can be used to make presentations i.e Powerpoint-like?
It doesn't have to be freeware/shareware providing it's not even more expensive than MS stuff.

Thanks!

John

Return to “Software & Applications”