LibreOffice Presentation Box/Frame Dimensions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

LibreOffice Presentation Box/Frame Dimensions

Post by JoHubb »

I am using Mint 18.3 KDE on a laptop.

As part of a presentation, I wish to frame a photograph with a fine line. So, the frame is drawn a little larger than the photo and printed on a sheet of 100g paper. The photograph is then applied to the sheet using adhesive photo corners.

My problem is that the frame, when printed, is smaller than it should be. I have set the width as 12.4 cm, height 8.6 in landscape on an A4 page.

Box_LibrePresent_png.png
Unfortunately, when printed the box frame measures 12.0 cm x 8.4 cm. With Powerpoint in Windows 10, the printer prints the correct sized box.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem? The workaround I suppose is to compensate by sizing the frame in LibreOffice Presentation larger than actually needed but it shouldn't have to be like that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: LibreOffice Presentation Box/Frame Dimensions

Post by JerryF »

Check to see if in the printer's properties that a setting called 'fit to page' or something like that isn't active. That might be the issue.
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoHubb »

Thanks.

No it is not set to 'fit page'. The setting is 'original size' which must mean the page size specified in the program.

I have a feeling that the problem might having something to do with the printer driver. I've been using a generic one because the Canon driver specified for this printer simply doesn't work in Linux Mint, not for me anyway. It would seem that Canon printers (mine's a Pixma ip7250) are not the most Linux-friendly beasts in the world.

I am further cursed by an intermittent, low strength WiFi network in my house. This doesn't help :(
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

JoHubb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm Thanks.

No it is not set to 'fit page'. The setting is 'original size' which must mean the page size specified in the program.

I have a feeling that the problem might having something to do with the printer driver. I've been using a generic one because the Canon driver specified for this printer simply doesn't work in Linux Mint, not for me anyway. It would seem that Canon printers (mine's a Pixma ip7250) are not the most Linux-friendly beasts in the world.

I am further cursed by an intermittent, low strength WiFi network in my house. This doesn't help :(
Yes, probably the driver. I had the same situation with another printer and when I got the correct driver, all was ok.
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoHubb »

Time to change printer.

Thanks for help JerryF.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

JoHubb wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 am Time to change printer.

Thanks for help JerryF.
I'm sure you probably already tried this but in case you haven't
https://www.supportcanon.com/canon-pixm ... mac-linux/
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoHubb »

Thanks for this. I tried a printer driver (debian version) from that site.

Sadly, it didn't work and I now have a printer which I cannot remove..

Please help! I've a big presentation to do and am panicking!
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoHubb »

Has anyone experience of SoftMaker in Linux or any other program which can be used to make presentations i.e Powerpoint-like?
It doesn't have to be freeware/shareware providing it's not even more expensive than MS stuff.

Thanks!

John

Return to “Software & Applications”