I get Update Manager notifications for packages I don't have (18.3 Sylvia)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Noseshine
Level 1
Level 1

I get Update Manager notifications for packages I don't have (18.3 Sylvia)

Post by Noseshine »

Yesterday the Update Manager showed me "libreoffice" as available update, today it is "samba". I double-checked to be sure, I don't have those packages installed. I think that's a bug and that I should only see such notifications for packages that I actually have?

EDIT:

Using "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" I see that the following packages that _are_ installed are to be upgraded:

fonts-opensymbol libservlet3.1-java libsmbclient libwbclient0 python-samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs smbclient uno-libs3 ure

Update Manager showed exactly one entry for "libreoffice" and "samba", respectively. I did right-click and "don't show updates for this package" because, well, I didn't have either one installed as I said. If the Update Manager actually meant different packages it should say so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: I get Update Manager notifications for packages I don't have (18.3 Sylvia)

Post by gm10 »

I agree with you, but the Mint devs don't. They consider it a feature of Update Manager to group updates by the source package name. I can understand where they are coming from but it regularly leads to confusion just as in this case.

You do have all the packages installed that it wants to update. If it ever wants to install a new package as a dependency it will ask you in a popup.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Foster's question about Kernel Updates split off and turned into a separate thread: Update Manager: Kernel updates - security updates or new features only?
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
L Levrel

Post by L Levrel »

I'm hit by the same "feature" in LM 19. Thanks to gm10 for this answer!
I've just noticed that the Description frame has a small bottomline "Included packages in this update: ..." Too small and too "bottom", if the window is small you have to scroll the description to see it...

Return to “Software & Applications”