Anybody got good Wine skills?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Anybody got good Wine skills?

Post by linxmintq »

Hello, to the times in this forum! :)

I wanted to install a windows media player 10 program with wine and visualize this.

Code: Select all

$ winetricks
------------------------------------------------------
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.

** (zenity:12463): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:12463): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:12478): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:12478): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:12480): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:12480): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:12486): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:12486): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:13355): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:13355): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe
Executing w_do_call wmp10
Executing load_wmp10
Installer doesn't support 64-bit architecture. Use a 32-bit WINEPREFIX instead.

** (zenity:13379): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe

** (zenity:13379): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: El recurso en «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» no existe
$ 

I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 for 64-bit.

$ uname -a
Linux PC 4.4.0-128-generic #154~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 25 14:58:51 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Anybody got good Wine skills?

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

which version of wine are you using? it was tested with version 1.8 which may be needed to run that program.

I would install playonlinux and try to install it through that, it will allow you to install many verision of wine and test the program against them.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

kc1di wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:57 am which version of wine are you using? it was tested with version 1.8 which may be needed to run that program.
With the latest version of Wine stable and did not install any programs.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Install playonlinux in the terminal

sudo apt install playonlinux
once it's finished you'll find it in the menu under games.
launch it and click on the tool tab and then manage wine version tell it to install the 32 or 64 bit wine 1.8 version. Depending upon which version of the program you have.
once that is finished click on install - I'm assuming you have the program you want to install downloaded on the system somewhere. when the installer comes up click on install non listed program it located in the lower left of the installer screen. It will ask you if you want to install in a new virtual file. say yes and name the file what you want to. then it will ask if you want to use the system version of wine or another click another select 1.8. continue with the install and see if it launches for you when it's finished. You may get an error message when it's trying to find the programs Icon just click next and keep going it should finish ok.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Why choose Wine version 1.8 rather than say, the latest stable version 3.0.2 ??
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:10 am Why choose Wine version 1.8 rather than say, the latest stable version 3.0.2 ??
Because the program he is trying to install runs best on version 1.8 according to WineHQ application Database. It's listed as garbage on the later versions of wine.
But Gold on version 1.8.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

kc1di wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 amBecause the program he is trying to install runs best on version 1.8 according to WineHQ application Database. It's listed as garbage on the later versions of wine.
But Gold on version 1.8.
I also mentioned above that I tried to try installing insignificant applications like Rufu and it didn't work.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

linxmintq wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 pm I also mentioned above that I tried to try installing insignificant applications like Rufu and it didn't work.
I don't see that you mentioned it, but

$ winetricks
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Installer doesn't support 64-bit architecture. Use a 32-bit WINEPREFIX instead.
It sounds like winetricks doesn't like a 64 bit "prefix" (~/.wine); you might want to delete (or rename) the current one and create a 32 bit wine prefix:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/177192/ ... ine-prefix
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

Flemur wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:49 pm It sounds like winetricks doesn't like a 64 bit "prefix" (~/.wine); you might want to delete (or rename) the current one and create a 32 bit wine prefix:
Does Wine work for you? Unfortunately the Wine didn't work.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

linxmintq wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am
Flemur wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:49 pm It sounds like winetricks doesn't like a 64 bit "prefix" (~/.wine); you might want to delete (or rename) the current one and create a 32 bit wine prefix:
Does Wine work for you?
Works great, in both Mint 18.3 and 19.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

linxmintq wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 pm
kc1di wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 amBecause the program he is trying to install runs best on version 1.8 according to WineHQ application Database. It's listed as garbage on the later versions of wine.
But Gold on version 1.8.
I also mentioned above that I tried to try installing insignificant applications like Rufu and it didn't work.
most windows software is still 32bit where linux 64bit wine should be able to interpret that but the most possible accurate answer for you is to create a 32bit wine have you done that?
delete your .wine since it doesn't do what you want it to anyway and then in terminal type:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
find out if you have 32 bit architecture with:
dpkg --print-architecture && dpkg --print-foreign-architectures you should see amd64 and i386 if you have it
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

trytip wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 pm most windows software is still 32bit where linux 64bit wine should be able to interpret that but the most possible accurate answer for you is to create a 32bit wine have you done that?
delete your .wine since it doesn't do what you want it to anyway and then in terminal type:

dpkg --print-architecture && dpkg --print-foreign-architectures you should see amd64 and i386 if you have it
I got tired of so many attempts at wine testing and all failed, I added for 32-bit architecture as indicated in the guide, and it doesn't work. At the time of wine installing, the system was slow and I uninstalled wine completely. :?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

On mint 17.3 running on a Thinkpad T410 I had no problems with wine (version in the repos at the time). Moved over to mint 18 on a T430 and could not get office 2007 to install (was fine with 17.3). The solution was to create a 32bit prefix and install into that. Subsequently switched over to crossover to run office 2013.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

linxmintq wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:34 am
trytip wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 pm most windows software is still 32bit where linux 64bit wine should be able to interpret that but the most possible accurate answer for you is to create a 32bit wine have you done that?

I got tired of so many attempts at wine testing and all failed, I added for 32-bit architecture as indicated in the guide, and it doesn't work. At the time of wine installing, the system was slow and I uninstalled wine completely. :?
works here with mint19 and wine 3.02. when you say it doesn't work, what exactly doesn't work

dpkg --print-architecture && dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
amd64
i386
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

trytip wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 am
works here with mint19 and wine 3.02. when you say it doesn't work, what exactly doesn't work
That's the result you see with that command on this PCs notebook. And I don't like later versions because it has systemd full.

$ dpkg --print-architecture && dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
amd64
i386
 $ 
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

linxmintq wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:31 am
trytip wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 amworks here with mint19 and wine 3.02. when you say it doesn't work, what exactly doesn't work
That's the result you see with that command on this PCs notebook.
When you say it doesn't work, what exactly doesn't work?
And I don't like later versions because it has systemd full.
What?

$ dpkg --print-architecture && dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
amd64
i386
 $ 
That's the right answer.

So, did you delete your ~/.wine directory and make a new 32-bit ~/.wine directory as has been advised a couple of times?
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

Flemur wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:00 pm
When you say it doesn't work, what exactly doesn't work?
In the first comment, wine could not install that package, and ended up stuck, as was published in the first comment. On the other attempts, wine would not even open and the system would slow down, and in the end, I ended up uninstalling it completely.
That's the right answer.

So, did you delete your ~/.wine directory and make a new 32-bit ~/.wine directory as has been advised a couple of times?
If I deleted and create a new one, in the terminal it was still giving the same result and not open wine in the time of launching it with others package.

If I was given any help I would try again by installing wine on a 64-bit machine.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

linxmintq wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:34 amIf I was given any help I would try again by installing wine on a 64-bit machine.
It sure seems like you were given plenty of help, and are already trying to install on a 64-bit machine:
I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 for 64-bit.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you'll need to start from the beginning. maybe i'm getting old or english is not your language? but i don't understand a word from your last post.
wine --version

Return to “Software & Applications”