Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Jturl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Jturl » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi, As a newbie I was wondering if I could ask a question about Bleachbit in relation to Tara Mint 19. I have used it on Mint 17.1 on a regular basis and the average disk space retrieved was about 25 to 35MB. But since using Tara the disk space showing now is upwards of 700Mb. Which seems a lot to even my novice status.
Any thoughts? Appreciate any comments.
James

User avatar
Schultz
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1278
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Schultz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Are you sure you're using the same settings in Bleachbit in Mint 19 that you did in 17.1?

User avatar
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8419
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA USA

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by jimallyn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Image

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

lmuserx4849

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by lmuserx4849 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:34 pm

There are a host of Linux system built-in services being run or can be run on users' behalf, when it is safe, to keep things going (i.e., /etc/logrotate.d, /etc/cron*, systemd-tmpfiles-clean).

- Do not use BleachBit, by Martin Flöser
- BleachBit: Does GNU/Linux need the equivalent of a Windows registry cleaner? @lwn.net

User avatar
trytip
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by trytip » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 am

next time you use it look and see in which category the size is. most likely everything is in your .cache
is it the bleachbit as root or bleach regular you asking about.

ps: nothing wrong with using bleachbit. Hillary Clinton used it and she never had any issues :mrgreen: (but seriously i never had any issues either as long as you leave Free Disk Space and Memory in the root side you OK)
Image

lmuserx4849

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by lmuserx4849 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:00 am

Maybe this is your 700 MB :-) Spotted this: Cleaning /var/cache on Mint 19 Cinnamon:
I plan to delete the contents of /var/cache on Mint 19 Cinnamon as part of cleaning up the system . It has 700MB data. I dont see any problems after deleting the contents.
...
I thought I read something about cinnamon doing more caching for performance. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Man, I'd really ask yourself, what are you trying to fix or achieve? Is it performance, privacy, space? If you like a stable, well-performing, system, really be careful. If it is one or two applications, see if they have an option.

Jturl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Jturl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am

Hi to all and thanks for the replies. I suppose I use it because of the old Windoz hang ups that as a habit I got into. I think I will uncheck what was posted. I seemed think that since the last update of Firefox it seems it has slowed down searching and to be honest there are tons of files being cleaned from it. Regards

James

User avatar
Flemur
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Potemkin Village

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Flemur » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:50 am

Jturl wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Hi, As a newbie I was wondering if I could ask a question about Bleachbit in relation to Tara Mint 19. I have used it on Mint 17.1 on a regular basis and the average disk space retrieved was about 25 to 35MB. But since using Tara the disk space showing now is upwards of 700Mb. Which seems a lot to even my novice status.
Any thoughts? Appreciate any comments.
James
It's probably the .deb files you downloaded for updates; they're stored in
/var/cache/apt/archives/(package-names).deb

People do have some bad problems with bleachbit, but from what I've seen here, it's when they were doing the "disk wipe" and interrupted it because it was taking too long, or the power went out, etc. So stay away from that unless you have files you don't want the FBI to know about...copies of Hillary's emails for instance.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by sdibaja » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 am

Jturl wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am
Hi to all and thanks for the replies. I suppose I use it because of the old Windoz hang ups that as a habit I got into. I think I will uncheck what was posted. I seemed think that since the last update of Firefox it seems it has slowed down searching and to be honest there are tons of files being cleaned from it. Regards

James

I suspect that "cleaning" firefox will actually make it Slower. Those files being wiped are probably cache files that are used to "fill in the blanks" so every darn little thing does not have to get downloaded again.
Tell us what you experience...

if you read all of the links posted above you will probably know more than the Bleachbit developer ;-)
excellent data, I know more now.

*as far as copies of Hillary's emails, bury them in the desert like I do.

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by sdibaja » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am

PS: your spell checker needs to be updated. The correct spelling is Windows... unless you are under 17 years old. :lol:

User avatar
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8419
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA USA

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by jimallyn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 pm

sdibaja wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am
PS: your spell checker needs to be updated. The correct spelling is Windows... unless you are under 17 years old. :lol:
Or unless you've ever actually used Windows. About the only time I ever have occasion to use Windows is when I am doing a dual boot install for a friend, and it always makes me glad that all my computers run Linux. Based on my experiences, I'd say "Windoze" is appropriate. I also like catweazel's "Windwoes."
Image

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

User avatar
catweazel
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6930
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by catweazel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:51 pm

sdibaja wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am
PS: your spell checker needs to be updated. The correct spelling is Windows... unless you are under 17 years old. :lol:
My spell checker always changes Windows to Windwoes.
Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

User avatar
catweazel
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6930
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by catweazel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:52 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 pm
I also like catweazel's "Windwoes."
lol - I saw that after I posted.
Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by sdibaja » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 pm
sdibaja wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am
PS: your spell checker needs to be updated. The correct spelling is Windows... unless you are under 17 years old. :lol:
Or unless you've ever actually used Windows. About the only time I ever have occasion to use Windows is when I am doing a dual boot install for a friend, and it always makes me glad that all my computers run Linux. Based on my experiences, I'd say "Windoze" is appropriate. I also like catweazel's "Windwoes."
I fully understand the sentiment.

my project this morning was to install W10 so I could update the maps in my Garmin.
it ended up taking most of the day... nasty program, crappy installer. Garmin is a piece of work too, but it is helpful in my travels... better than Google maps for navigation. Not a Lot better, but better.

User avatar
Moem
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Moem » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 am

sdibaja wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm
my project this morning was to install W10 so I could update the maps in my Garmin.
it ended up taking most of the day... nasty program, crappy installer.
With some (most?) Garmins, you can also switch to OpenStreetmaps and those can be updated by loading new map material onto an SD card. I'd look into it if I were you, this is how our Garmin Nũvi gets updated regularly.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:26 am
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by chiefjim » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 am
sdibaja wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm
my project this morning was to install W10 so I could update the maps in my Garmin.
it ended up taking most of the day... nasty program, crappy installer.
With some (most?) Garmins, you can also switch to OpenStreetmaps and those can be updated by loading new map material onto an SD card. I'd look into it if I were you, this is how our Garmin Nũvi gets updated regularly.
Would like to learn more about this. Hate having to pull out my Win7 laptop just to keep my Garmin Nũvi functioning.

User avatar
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Baja California, Mexico

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by sdibaja » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:38 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 am
sdibaja wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm
my project this morning was to install W10 so I could update the maps in my Garmin.
it ended up taking most of the day... nasty program, crappy installer.
With some (most?) Garmins, you can also switch to OpenStreetmaps and those can be updated by loading new map material onto an SD card. I'd look into it if I were you, this is how our Garmin Nũvi gets updated regularly.
I have tried OpenStreetmaps. Unfortunately they are rather crude in my area. very little detail, and out of date.

User avatar
Moem
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Moem » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:16 am

chiefjim wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 am
Moem wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 am
With some (most?) Garmins, you can also switch to OpenStreetmaps and those can be updated by loading new map material onto an SD card. I'd look into it if I were you, this is how our Garmin Nũvi gets updated regularly.
Would like to learn more about this. Hate having to pull out my Win7 laptop just to keep my Garmin Nũvi functioning.
Here's a good starting point: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin
Note the part about pre-made maps. A great place to get maps is here. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
Pepi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Pepi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:50 am

Your "WHY" is it's trashing your system :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”