Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jturl

Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Jturl »

Hi, As a newbie I was wondering if I could ask a question about Bleachbit in relation to Tara Mint 19. I have used it on Mint 17.1 on a regular basis and the average disk space retrieved was about 25 to 35MB. But since using Tara the disk space showing now is upwards of 700Mb. Which seems a lot to even my novice status.
Any thoughts? Appreciate any comments.
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Why is Bleachbit removing 700 MB on Mint 19?

Post by Schultz »

Are you sure you're using the same settings in Bleachbit in Mint 19 that you did in 17.1?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

There are a host of Linux system built-in services being run or can be run on users' behalf, when it is safe, to keep things going (i.e., /etc/logrotate.d, /etc/cron*, systemd-tmpfiles-clean).

- Do not use BleachBit, by Martin Flöser
- BleachBit: Does GNU/Linux need the equivalent of a Windows registry cleaner? @lwn.net
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

next time you use it look and see in which category the size is. most likely everything is in your .cache
is it the bleachbit as root or bleach regular you asking about.

ps: nothing wrong with using bleachbit.
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: political comment removed
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Maybe this is your 700 MB :-) Spotted this: Cleaning /var/cache on Mint 19 Cinnamon:
I plan to delete the contents of /var/cache on Mint 19 Cinnamon as part of cleaning up the system . It has 700MB data. I dont see any problems after deleting the contents.
I thought I read something about cinnamon doing more caching for performance. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Man, I'd really ask yourself, what are you trying to fix or achieve? Is it performance, privacy, space? If you like a stable, well-performing, system, really be careful. If it is one or two applications, see if they have an option.
Jturl

Post by Jturl »

Hi to all and thanks for the replies. I suppose I use it because of the old Windoz hang ups that as a habit I got into. I think I will uncheck what was posted. I seemed think that since the last update of Firefox it seems it has slowed down searching and to be honest there are tons of files being cleaned from it. Regards

James
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Jturl wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 pm Hi, As a newbie I was wondering if I could ask a question about Bleachbit in relation to Tara Mint 19. I have used it on Mint 17.1 on a regular basis and the average disk space retrieved was about 25 to 35MB. But since using Tara the disk space showing now is upwards of 700Mb. Which seems a lot to even my novice status.
Any thoughts? Appreciate any comments.
James
It's probably the .deb files you downloaded for updates; they're stored in
/var/cache/apt/archives/(package-names).deb

People do have some bad problems with bleachbit, but from what I've seen here, it's when they were doing the "disk wipe" and interrupted it because it was taking too long, or the power went out, etc. So stay away from that unless you have files you don't want the FBI to know about...copies of Hillary's emails for instance.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Jturl wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am Hi to all and thanks for the replies. I suppose I use it because of the old Windoz hang ups that as a habit I got into. I think I will uncheck what was posted. I seemed think that since the last update of Firefox it seems it has slowed down searching and to be honest there are tons of files being cleaned from it. Regards

James

I suspect that "cleaning" firefox will actually make it Slower. Those files being wiped are probably cache files that are used to "fill in the blanks" so every darn little thing does not have to get downloaded again.
Tell us what you experience...

if you read all of the links posted above you will probably know more than the Bleachbit developer ;-)
excellent data, I know more now.

*as far as copies of Hillary's emails, bury them in the desert like I do.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

PS: your spell checker needs to be updated. The correct spelling is Windows... unless you are under 17 years old. :lol:
Peter
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am PS: your spell checker needs to be updated. The correct spelling is Windows... unless you are under 17 years old. :lol:
Or unless you've ever actually used Windows. About the only time I ever have occasion to use Windows is when I am doing a dual boot install for a friend, and it always makes me glad that all my computers run Linux. Based on my experiences, I'd say "Windows" is appropriate. I also like catweazel's "Windwoes."
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am PS: your spell checker needs to be updated. The correct spelling is Windows... unless you are under 17 years old. :lol:
My spell checker always changes Windows to Windwoes.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 pm I also like catweazel's "Windwoes."
lol - I saw that after I posted.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 pm
Or unless you've ever actually used Windows. About the only time I ever have occasion to use Windows is when I am doing a dual boot install for a friend, and it always makes me glad that all my computers run Linux. Based on my experiences, I'd say "Windows" is appropriate. I also like catweazel's "Windwoes."
I fully understand the sentiment.

my project this morning was to install W10 so I could update the maps in my Garmin.
it ended up taking most of the day... nasty program, crappy installer. Garmin is a piece of work too, but it is helpful in my travels... better than Google maps for navigation. Not a Lot better, but better.
Peter
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm my project this morning was to install W10 so I could update the maps in my Garmin.
it ended up taking most of the day... nasty program, crappy installer.
With some (most?) Garmins, you can also switch to OpenStreetmaps and those can be updated by loading new map material onto an SD card. I'd look into it if I were you, this is how our Garmin Nũvi gets updated regularly.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Moem wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 am
sdibaja wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm my project this morning was to install W10 so I could update the maps in my Garmin.
With some (most?) Garmins, you can also switch to OpenStreetmaps and those can be updated by loading new map material onto an SD card. I'd look into it if I were you, this is how our Garmin Nũvi gets updated regularly.
Would like to learn more about this. Hate having to pull out my Win7 laptop just to keep my Garmin Nũvi functioning.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Moem wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 am
I have tried OpenStreetmaps. Unfortunately they are rather crude in my area. very little detail, and out of date.
Peter
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

chiefjim wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 am
Moem wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 am With some (most?) Garmins, you can also switch to OpenStreetmaps and those can be updated by loading new map material onto an SD card. I'd look into it if I were you, this is how our Garmin Nũvi gets updated regularly.
Would like to learn more about this. Hate having to pull out my Win7 laptop just to keep my Garmin Nũvi functioning.
Here's a good starting point: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin
Note the part about pre-made maps. A great place to get maps is here. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Your "WHY" is it's trashing your system :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”