experience with nextcloud - Kontact

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

experience with nextcloud - Kontact

Post by 52ROSt »

I have now nextcloud running on our server and want to synch calender and contacts from KDE's Kontacts (later most likely notes, tasks) and wonder what kind of experience was made synching a LXMint 17.3, 64but, KDE PC with an Android phone.

The SW manager doesn't include any interface for nextcloud.

What are you using and what is your experience?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: experience with nextcloud - Kontact

Post by phd21 »

HI 52ROSt

Linux Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04 trusty) is almost out of LTS support which ends in 2019. You should seriously consider upgrading to a newer version.

Almost all updates are for Linux Mint 18.x (based on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial) and now Linux Mint 19 (based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic).

1.) I have no experience with "nextcloud", but I noticed there are related packages in the newer versions of Linux Mint, search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "nextcloud". I know that in KDE's Kontact and Korganizer there are options for using "WebDAV" which may provide what you are looking for, see link below. You may need to install "webdav" packages from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" too.

How to Access Your Nextcloud Files via WebDAV on Ubuntu Desktop
https://www.linuxbabe.com/cloud-storage ... dav-ubuntu

Synchronizing with KDE SC — Nextcloud 9 User Manual 9 documentation
"From KDE SC 4.8 and forward setting up Nextcloud is very easy. Note that the KDE calendar needs to have the Nextcloud Calendar and Contacts apps enabled on the Nextcloud server. You need both and not just the Calendar. From System Settings Personal Information/Akonadi Resources Configuration select DAV Groupware resource."
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9/use ... c_kde.html

Nextcloud - ArchWiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nextcloud

2.) As for connecting your Android devices, there are excellent options in the newer versions of Linux Mint and KDE like "KDE Connect", and a few other applications. There are many good posts in this forum on connecting Android devices, search for "Android".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

Hi phd21,

Thanks a lot for the very valuable reply.

As for upgrading my LM, you are right. I need to do it. I plan to do to in fall/winter when I am less busy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi 52ROSt,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”