Before you post please read how to get help
Ernest_Biffington
Level 1
Level 1

Change install directory for GOG games

Post by Ernest_Biffington » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:27 pm

G'day, everyone. :)
Just moved from windows to Linux.

I have Steam installed on my SSD that my Mint OS is installed on, and I have made my larger HDD the default location for Steam Games, to save space.
However, I am wanting to install games from GOG, too.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the default installation directory from the OS drive to another drive?
For example:
From my OS SSD - to my - Games and Programs HDD?

I would prefer to keep the OS drive uncluttered, as it's only 120Gb, and to make future upgrades easier.

Any help you could give me would be very appreciated. :)
"A rang dang diggedy dang de dang, a ding dang diggedy bong de bong, a ring bong biggedy dang de dong diggedy rang de bang biggedy bong" - Bill Bailey

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Change Default Program Install Directory

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Ernest_Biffington wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:27 pm
I would prefer to keep the OS drive uncluttered, as it's only 120Gb, and to make future upgrades easier.
That's plenty. Mine has 15 with 6 free. ;)

And under Linux you don't change system installation directories, those are expected in fixed locations. You can however mount a partition on your other drive in that file system location if you want to move the files there.

I don't know where the GOG installer installs too, however, and whether you cannot simply change that in the installer itself. In case of doubt both Steam and GOG install to your user/home folder rather than your system folders, anyway.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Change install directory for GOG games

Post by Flemur » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Ernest_Biffington wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the default installation directory from the OS drive to another drive?
For example:
If it's not possible to tell the install to use a different directory (on a different drive), you could probably install it, then move it and hook it up with links.

Like: wine installs to /opt/wine, if I want it on, say, my data partition of /mnt/DATA, which has tons of room, I could

Code: Select all

cp -ax /opt/wine /mnt/DATA/wine
rm -r /opt/wine
ln -s /mnt/DATA/wine /opt/wine
(w/"sudo" in front of everything).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Ernest_Biffington
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ernest_Biffington » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 am

Flemur wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:18 pm
Ernest_Biffington wrote:
For example:
If it's not possible to tell the install to use a different directory (on a different drive), you could probably install it, then move it and hook it up with links.

Like: wine installs to /opt/wine, if I want it on, say, my data partition of /mnt/DATA, which has tons of room, I could

cp -ax /opt/wine /mnt/DATA/wine
rm -r /opt/wine
ln -s /mnt/DATA/wine /opt/wine
(w/"sudo" in front of everything).
So, let's say that the GOG installer doesn't play well on another drive.
Using the method you showed, could I install a game on the OS Drive, then symlink it to my Games Drive?
Would that allow for the games files to be on my Games Drive, while it initiates from my OS Drive? :)

I was trying to work out symlinking, but couldn't get the hang of it.
I know Playonlinux and WINE don't play well on any other drive but C.
"A rang dang diggedy dang de dang, a ding dang diggedy bong de bong, a ring bong biggedy dang de dong diggedy rang de bang biggedy bong" - Bill Bailey

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am

Ernest_Biffington wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 am
So, let's say that the GOG installer doesn't play well on another drive.
Using the method you showed, could I install a game on the OS Drive, then symlink it to my Games Drive?
That's basically what I showed: wine get installed to /opt/wine, but I want the files on /mnt/DATA.
With links, /opt/wine still exists, and it just "points to" the files are really somewhere else.

Play around with it, it's not difficult. You can delete the link without deleting the stuff it's linked to (note: I *always* use "ln -s" for a symbolic link, dunno about anything else; deleting a hard link might delete the file it points to).

I just remember:

ln -s real-file fake-file
real-file = the existing, actual, space-using file (or directory) you want to link to.
fake-file = the link to it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 am

Flemur wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am

Play around with it, it's not difficult. You can delete the link without deleting the stuff it's linked to (note: I *always* use "ln -s" for a symbolic link, dunno about anything else; deleting a hard link might delete the file it points to).
I like to think of the hard-disk as a road.

You place a property marker (initial file-name) anywhere along that road and *POOF* a property (the inode containing data) appears.

A hard link is just another property marker that points to the same property. It can be put anywhere in the same suburb (same file-system & partition, etc) and still point at the initial property (inode). It cannot be placed in other suburbs. Their advantage is that you can place multiple of these markers (hard links) and removing any of them won't change anything in the property, not even the original marker. You need to remove ALL of the markers before the property (inode) disappears back into the void from whence it came.

A soft link, on the other hand, is just a little flag that points to the first property marker. However, this can be placed in other suburbs and even other states/provinces. (different partitions, file-systems, etc. eg. smb: or afp: work)

Deleting a flag (soft link) doesn't affect the property in any way, but if you delete the initial file-name the property will disappear and all of these flags will remain, waving uselessly in the breeze because they now point at nothing. A soft link's advantage is in crossing the boundaries.

If you've read this far you may have realised by now that for all intents and purpose, the initial file-name is a hard link. ;)
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

Return to “Software & Applications”