Mint 19 and LAMP. PHP Not Working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jobo

Mint 19 and LAMP. PHP Not Working

Post by jobo »

Hi All,
Quite new to linux. Have a small comp on which I've installed mint 19. On my windows machine I run wamp so I figured I'd checkout LAMP. oh my goodness. While the index.html file loads up, no php file will. First of all the var/www/html file is locked and I can't add, edit or remove any files within it. I found a way to resolve that. I make a php info file and drop it in there. It's not executing the php. I just get a white screen in the browser. I've been at this for two days now. Yesterday I was at least able to see the un-parsed code using "view page source". I removed all packages installed yesterday and started fresh today. Now I don't even get the unparsed code in view page source. phpmyadmin doesn't load. says page not found.

Even If I have to remove all packages again and start fresh again. I would really like to have this working and your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Mint 19 and LAMP. PHP Not Working

Post by kukamuumuka »

You have no privileges. Run

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G www-data your_username_here
sudo chgrp -R www-data /var/www/html
sudo chmod -R g+w /var/www/html
jobo

Post by jobo »

ok. so yes I had no privileges, but there were other problems too. I did get the privileges straightened out but still couldn't log into mysql through terminal or phpmyadmin. not knowing how to thoroughly remove all that had been installed I just started over completely which I've actually done 3 more times since then. I have it working now though. Looking back .... I've had it right since the 2nd re-install of mint. The trouble in getting logged into mysql wasn't that a password wasn't be stored correctly, but instead that I had to create a new user as root is for some reason restricted.

Got it now and am moving forward.

What's the best way to take a snapshot of my system right now that I'd be able to reset to later on?

Thanks a bunch,
John
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

jobo wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:34 pm ok. so yes I had no privileges, but there were other problems too. I did get the privileges straightened out but still couldn't log into mysql through terminal or phpmyadmin. not knowing how to thoroughly remove all that had been installed I just started over completely which I've actually done 3 more times since then. I have it working now though. Looking back .... I've had it right since the 2nd re-install of mint. The trouble in getting logged into mysql wasn't that a password wasn't be stored correctly, but instead that I had to create a new user as root is for some reason restricted.
In Mint 19 the first mysql user must be create via command line.
https://puolanka.info/goto/apache-and-p ... d-mint-19/

Code: Select all

sudo mysql -p -u root

mysql> CREATE USER 'username_here'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password_here';

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'username_here'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION;
Replace username_here with real username and password_here with real mysql password.

Return to “Software & Applications”