Security concerns with STEAM

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lazarus

Security concerns with STEAM

Post by lazarus »

Having had security issues with STEAM under Windows, I deleted it and for a long time went without. Now that I have my Linux Mint system up and running satisfactorily, I thought I'd try it again, given that Linux has much better permissions control.

So, after rummaging around for what seemed like forever to find my STEAM details, I used firefox and checked my account. Naturally, I had to download the STEAM software and then the few games I had in my library.

Now, keep in mind that this was all done through the Firefox browser using a standard user's account.

After installing everything and taking it for a test run, I did a whereis steam as a matter of habit and was surprised to see files in /usr/bin. On checking, there are indeed steam & steamdeps executables in there. Both owned by root with rwxr-xr-x permissions. :shock:

Now, given that at no time was I asked for root authentication how did they get there with those permissions? I could understand if they were installed in my /home... but they're not.

This concerns me deeply. Even the idea that a user can install something in another user's account simply by using a browser is disturbing.

Or am I misunderstanding some basic concept and over-reacting?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Security concerns with STEAM

Post by catweazel »

lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 am Or am I misunderstanding some basic concept and over-reacting?
Possibly. If you did the install at the command line using sudo, it's highly likely that the previous use of your password was cached from a previous use of sudo. In this case, sudo doesn't ask for permission. There is a timeout period but I can't recall if it's one minute or what.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Run dpkg -S /path/to/file for the files in question. That will tell you if they are part of a known apt package. You can then use the apt logs to track down when it was installed and what triggered the installation.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lazarus

Post by lazarus »

Code: Select all

lazarus@Beelzebub ~ $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/steam
steam-launcher: /usr/bin/steam
:sigh:

It wasn't installed via apt, the logs are refreshingly clean of steam. However, dpkg.log does show:
2018-08-16 15:06:05 install steam-launcher:all <none> 1.0.0.55
...so I guess that I must have authenticated it.

Which is odd, given my previous concerns and my intent to ensure it installed 'user only.'

"Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it."
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You can look in /var/logs/apt/history.log for the corresponding entry for a bit more info on the context that installation happened.

E.g this was an update manager update to an existing package.

Start-Date: 2018-08-19  19:50:15
Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic --hide-main-window --non-interactive --parent-window-id 92274708 -o Synaptic::closeZvt=true --set-selections-file /tmp/tmpxi6xl9wu
Requested-By: steve (1000)
Upgrade: adapta-gtk-theme:amd64 (3.94.0.96-0ubuntu1~bionic1, 3.94.0.106-0ubuntu1~bionic1)
End-Date: 2018-08-19  19:50:23
This was via apt from the terminal...

Start-Date: 2018-08-19  11:30:03
Commandline: /usr/bin/apt install beep
Install: beep:amd64 (1.3-4+deb9u1)
End-Date: 2018-08-19  11:30:13
This is an installation from within synaptic

Start-Date: 2018-08-18  08:04:30
Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic
Install: stacer:amd64 (1.0.9-1~bionic)
End-Date: 2018-08-18  08:04:35
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:37 am

lazarus@Beelzebub ~ $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/steam
steam-launcher: /usr/bin/steam
If you install Steam from the official repositories it has neither that file nor even that package. I hope what you installed came at least from Valve directly.
lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 am Or am I misunderstanding some basic concept and over-reacting?
Depends on what you're worried about. The fact that the file is root-owned doesn't mean it runs with root permissions.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

it was probably this deb which is presented to linux users on the steam site who hit download steam links...

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/ ... /steam.deb - which actually downloads as steam-latest.deb
lazarus

Post by lazarus »

Yes. Yes it was.

I hadn't realised that it was available through the repositories... in all honesty I didn't even think to look.

Return to “Software & Applications”