Is there anything Better than Nemo? SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Is there anything Better than Nemo? SOLVED

Post by lsemmens »

For displaying thumbnail images. I have a folder that contains some several thousand image files. (all individual images of stamps). It often takes 5 or more minutes to load that folder in Nemo. Every so often it freezes up solid and I must re-start Nemo to make it work again. Today, however, it locked up my system completely and I had to force a system re-start. What alternatives have I, in that I do need to see a thumbnail of the images as I browse the folder,

EDIT: SOLVED by using PIX
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Is there anything Better than Nemo?

Post by Pjotr »

Try if it helps when you limit the size of the thumbnails folder with dconf-editor, like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nail-cache
(item 3, left column)

Proceed exactly as described, i.e. first erase all existing thumbnails. Your optimal maximal-size might be something like 100 or even 200 MB, in view of your situation. Experiment a bit....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I don't see how that helps. If you limit the thumbnail cache he'll have to re-generate new thumbnails every time he accesses the folder. That will slow him down even more.

I was gonna suggest using not using thumbnail view in the browser at all and instead use a dedicated application like the pre-installed pix. Probably performs better.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:13 am I don't see how that helps. If you limit the thumbnail cache he'll have to re-generate new thumbnails every time he accesses the folder. That will slow him down even more.

I was gonna suggest using not using thumbnail view in the browser at all and instead use a dedicated application like the pre-installed pix. Probably performs better.
Well, my idea was that it might help if the (slow? old?) system doesn't have to generate 512 MB of thumbnails, but only a fraction of that.... However, your suggestion is probably better. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Can't answer that question without starting a war between fanboys/girls ;)

However, install Thunar from the repos, it shouldn't pull in too much Xfce stuff. I use it daily (I'm on XFCE though), but I used it on Cinnamon and Mate a few years ago too... It takes seconds to load a few thousand image thumbnails, no matter which view mode you choose (it does loads of other things that might surprise you too)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

chrisuk wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:12 am Thunar
It takes seconds to load a few thousand image thumbnails, no matter which view mode you choose (it does loads of other things that might surprise you too)
Won't you need to install the tumbler backend for that as well?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks for the ideas, people. The system in question is not particularly powerful Being the laptop in my sig. I'd rather not re-generate the cache every time I load the file manager for the reasons already put forward. Does PIX allow me to re-name/re-loacate images on the fly? That might be my ideal solution. Off to investigate. :D
Fully mint Household
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I shall call this SOLVED! Pix looks like it does all that I need, Thank you wonderful folk for your assistance!
Fully mint Household

Return to “Software & Applications”