Stream of error messages from dbus-daemon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JLC17
Level 3
Level 3

Stream of error messages from dbus-daemon

Post by JLC17 »

Messing around on my Mint19 laptop, I noticed a flood of error messages in the syslog

Code: Select all

dbus-daemon[1025]: [system] Connection ":1.60" is not allowed to add more match rules (increase limits in configuration file if required; max_match_rules_per_connection=2048)
There are thousands of these and they appear to be coming out so fast, the log condenses them ...

Code: Select all

dbus-daemon[1025]: [b][i]message repeated 13 times[/i][/b]: [ [system] Connection ":1.60" is not allowed to add more match rules (increase limits in configuration file if required; max_match_rules_per_connection=2048)]
Anyway, running
sudo dbus-monitor --system
for a few minutes, I was able to capture a bit more detail
string "type='signal',sender='org.freedesktop.NetworkManager',path='/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/6026',interface='org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.AccessPoint'"
error time=1535442553.686275 sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> destination=:1.60 error_name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.LimitsExceeded reply_serial=31708
string "Connection ":1.60" is not allowed to add more match rules (increase limits in configuration file if required; max_match_rules_per_connection=2048)"
which suggests NetworkManager is the source. Seeing the phrase "AccessPoint" made me suspect a WiFi issue. Since I am using the laptop with a wired connection, I disabled the WiFi (using Network Manager) and the problem has gone away.

I have no idea if this is a bug, a feature, expected, or unexpected. But I thought I'd log it here for Google to find if anyone else has the same problem.

I'm guessing every time the WiFi scans for networks, it's tripping the error ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
recnes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Stream of error messages from dbus-daemon

Post by recnes »

This is really annoying issue, happening to me too and I can't find any solution, yet.
When the error shows up I have to restart the computer to get rid of it for a while.

Return to “Software & Applications”