Shortcut keys for long key combinations?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Shortcut keys for long key combinations?

Post by Valsodar »

Took me a while to figure out how to make a bullet point (•) appear in the text and now with some help from outside I can do it. But I was wondering is there any way to setup a shortcut key(s) for that key combination: Ctrl+Shift+U+2022+interval? In short, this is how the bullet point appears: Press Ctrl+Shift+U and then release these keys. Enter the number 2022 and press space - bullet point appears in the text. So, what I wanna do is setup shortcut keys (Alt+Num 7, for instance - this is the shortcut key for bullet point in Windows).
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, 2xSSD = 610 GB, 1xHDD = 1TB, Waterfox-Current, (rolling) Arch Cinnamon
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Shortcut keys for long key combinations?

Post by xenopeek »

You can just use your compose key. Hold the compose key and type . (dot) then release both keys and type = (equals) to make the filled bullet character: •
Here's one list of compose key sequences: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GtkComposeTable.
If you don't know your compose key you can find/set it in settings Keyboard > Layouts > Options ("Position of the Compose key"). Incredibly handy for all kinds of characters.

It sounds like perhaps you've set up your keyboard with dead keys. Easy to test: if you type an accent character like any of ` ' " do they appear immediately or do you need to tap spacebar afterwards to make those characters appear? I don't know if there's any issue with using the compose key with dead key keyboard layouts. I don't use dead key keyboard layouts.

You could also bind your own keyboard shortcut to a command like this (making sure xdotool is installed first!):
xdotool key --window '$(xdotool getactivewindow)' Ctrl+Shift+U2022
That's a bit redundant given the compose key can do it as well.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Shortcut keys for long key combinations?

Post by AZgl1500 »

You can also use the AutoKey app to create unique symbols with a kybd shortcut of your choice.

I use it for a lot of special things that help me.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”