Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Rhythmbox Radio Problem

Post by JoHubb » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 am

I run Mate 18.3 kernel 4.15.0-33 in W64.

Some radio programmes - mostly US music or college channels - run normally.
Until about 3 weeks ago I could also get UK radio stations e.g. BBC. Now I cannot - I just get a message about missing plug-ins.

I'd be grateful for advice.

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Rhythmbox Radio Problem

Post by JoHubb » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Nobody?

Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 am

No one is that crazy to use Rhytmbox (no offense, mate :) ). I use Audacious - never had a single problem with a radio. ;)
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 65+ x64, 5.0.13-arch1-1-ARCH Cinnamon

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Sorry for being crazy, and me the only one :(

Will give Audashuss a try. :wink:

Ehlok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ehlok » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:19 pm

No, you're not the only one ;)

I use Rhythmbox to listen to radio stations and everything is working fine. Not sure why you're getting a message about missing plug-ins. Maybe those radio stations made some changes/updates in their servers?...

About BBC Radio 1, try adding the following link: http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbc ... adio1_mf_p.
ThinkPad X1 Carbon (1st Gen); Linux Mint 19.2 "Tina" Xfce 64-Bit

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:46 pm

HI JoHubb,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There is nothing wrong with using Rhythmbox, but there are many excellent music applications and streaming applications that can be used in Linux Mint.

Rhythmbox doesn't see minidlna? - Page 2 - Instructions for installing their PPA's with various plugins, etc...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=253253&hilit=rythmbox&start=20

For Linux Mint 19 the current version of Rhythmbox and its many plugins are probably in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", if not you can try installing the PPA's or going to the PPA websites to download the Linux deb files for Bionic, or Xenial, or even Trusty (in this order) to install them that way (save and double-click to install). Linux Mint 18.x and 17.x users can install the PPA's and use those.

These are the Rhythmbox related PPA's with Linux deb files - like with most PPA's, click "view package details" midway down on right, on next screen click the package for your version of Linux Mint or the closest one to it (LM19.x=Bionic, LM18.x=Xenial, LM17.x=Trusty), save the deb file(s) and double-click to install those.

Rhythmbox : fossfreedom (nothing for Linux Mint 19 based on Ubuntu 18.xx)
https://launchpad.net/~fossfreedom/+arc ... /rhythmbox

Rhythmbox third-party plugins : fossfreedom (there are Linux Mint 19 based on Ubuntu Bionic updates in this)
https://launchpad.net/~fossfreedom/+arc ... ox-plugins

+1 for using Audacious a lightweight and excellent music application that can play streaming radio as well. There is a PPA for this which is the only way to get their QT version. Audacious has 3 desktop styles to choose from "GTK" (nice regular), WinAmp (skinnable), and a QT version where all the windows are docked in one window instead of multiple floating windows.

Audacious 3.9 Released With Qt User Interface Enhancements, More [PPA] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/08/audaciou ... -user.html

And in some cases, some streaming radio and TV stations and websites cannot be accessed if you are not in that country without connecting to a VPN server in that country. This is called "geo-blocking" and can usually be circumvented by using a VPN connection in that country.

"StreamTuner2" is an excellent streaming application with thousands of stations that can be played through any music application you have installed.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

JoHubb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoHubb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:43 am

I've just noticed I didn't say thanks! Apologies.

Return to “Software & Applications”