Warning: Claws-Mail and Mint 19.0

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ytene
Level 4
Level 4

Warning: Claws-Mail and Mint 19.0

Post by ytene »

I suspect that I am in a very small minority of users still running Claws-Mail [forked child of Sylpheed]... but it's small, lightweight, fast and, most importantly, text only. Which means that it won't trigger any html-embedded nasties that someone might try to send you...

When I upgraded to Mint 19.0, I came across a self-inflicted problem. I have 2 PCs which both run Mint and which share access to a common Claws configuration. I do this by keeping all the configuration files on a NAS box and connecting to them with a pair of soft links. This has worked perfectly since I started this approach with ubuntu back in 2005 or so.

When I built my first Mint 19.0 system, I repeated the above process, installed claws and checked that all was well - it was. However, upon returning to my 18.3 system, I discovered issues with Claws [primarily it kept on asking me for my account passwords]. Last night I spent an hour or so in an IRC chat with the Claws guys, mainly the awesome Ticho, who helped me undo the damage.

In simple terms, Mint 19.0 uses a version of Claws that brings configuration file changes with it. My first launch of Claws on 19.0 forced the network-shared configuration files to be upgraded and re-written... and when I then attempted to use the same files with the older version of Claws on 18.3, I literally broke everything. Fortunately the very patient Ticho was on hand to help me unravel my stupidity and everything is now resolved.

But if you do use Claws and you're not yet upgraded to Mint 19.0, please take a good backup and be aware that this will otherwise be an irreversible upgrade.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Warning: Claws-Mail and Mint 19.0

Post by catweazel »

ytene wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:28 am In simple terms, Mint 19.0 uses a version of Claws that brings configuration file changes with it.
That should have been expected.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ytene
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Warning: Claws-Mail and Mint 19.0

Post by ytene »

Yes, that's a fair point.

On the other hand, the file structure of Claws-Mail's meta-data has remained un-changed and version-compatible since I started using it in 2005, when it was "Sylpheed".

The actual changes that have been implemented are not 100% incompatible - if you upgrade, an older version of the client using the files will still work. It's just that every time you try to interact with a remote server, the client will prompt you for a password.

The reason for this is that this latest edition [Mint 19.0 ships v3.16.0, Mint 18.3 shipped 3.13.2] is that the program now has a much more secure method of storing account passwords.

But for anyone using the program in "single-client" mode - i.e. one instance of the client connecting to their mail accounts - there is no issue. It's only someone wanting to do something a bit exotic [by storing the mail data on an NFS-mounted NAS and then accessing it via softlinks] that will hit this sort of issue.

All part of life's learning experience... I've tweaked my upgrade documentation accordingly!

Return to “Software & Applications”