How to install the Tor browser into LM?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: How to install the Tor browser into LM?

Post by lsemmens »

My apologies, although, not flagged as solved, I'd considered the question answered, and this a related "add on" that would add to the knowledge of the OP and others who happen upon this thread.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

FYI: This was in my email today. Everyone using the Tor Browser should update it immediately to version 8, just click the "onion" icon in the upper left of the Tor toolbar and check for updates then restart the Tor Browser.

Tor Browser Zero-Day Vulnerability Revealed: Patch Immediately! - Security Boulevard
https://securityboulevard.com/2018/09/t ... mediately/

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Moem wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:14 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:05 pm No need to go to all that trouble; it's already in the Mint repositories.
That's right. So you can install it with one click through the Software Manager. Easy as can be.

no it's not actually. just tried both in the software manager and no go.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:31 pm
Moem wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:14 pm you can install it with one click through the Software Manager. Easy as can be.
no it's not actually. just tried both in the software manager and no go.
Then something might be wrong, you could start a new thread if you want to investigate what it is.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 pm Hi Lynwood,

There are obviously a few ways to install the Tor Browser Bundle. There are also many posts already in this forum on this topic.

- The archive file method is easy because it is a self-contained ready to use archive file, just download the Linux archive file, right-click the archive file and extract it, move the new folder to your Home folder if you want, then double-click the "start-tor-browser.desktop" in the new folder to start it. You can copy this file (start-tor-browser.desktop) into your "Desktop" folder for a desktop shortcut launcher too.

- There is a PPA for installing the Tor Browser Bundle and keeping it updated as well for Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x.
Tor Browser Bundle Ubuntu PPA
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/12/tor-brow ... u-ppa.html

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:
Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+v), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/tor-browser

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install tor-browser

Hope this helps ...
i get:

mc2635599@LOTN:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/tor-browser
[sudo] password for mc2635599:                
HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support bionic''.
mc2635599@LOTN:~$ 
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

Unfortunately, that particular PPA for the Tor Browser bundle does not yet support Linux Mint 19.x which is based on Ubuntu 18.04. But, anyone can install the "torbrowser-launcher" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) in Linux Mint 19.x

Or, you can just download their Linux Archive file and use that.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:22 pm Hi MrGrimm,

Unfortunately, that particular PPA for the Tor Browser bundle does not yet support Linux Mint 19.x which is based on Ubuntu 18.04. But, anyone can install the "torbrowser-launcher" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) in Linux Mint 19.x

Or, you can just download their Linux Archive file and use that.

Hope this helps ...
yea not everyone. i keep getting the above error. download the so called portable now. supposedly should be able to unzip it and run.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

the easiest way i know for the moment to have "TOR" is to install "BRAVE" browser since it includes Tor in its browser which is located in the "hamburger" drop down menu located in the upper right hand portion of the browser and is entitled, "new private window for tor". just type where you want to go in the address bar and go.

the instructions to install it are provided below...it is terminal based install and will also update through the update manager...note that these instructions are just for "bionic" 18.04 distro...DAMIEN

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key add -

UBUNTU_CODENAME=$( (grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/upstream-release/lsb-release || grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/lsb-release) 2>/dev/null | cut -d'=' -f2 )

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ bionic main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-bionic.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser brave-keyring
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

cool, thanks will check that out.

EDIT:

just installed, looks good. nice and fast to. thanks again
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

your welcome MrGrimm...DAMIEN
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

Well, I have been having issues my my "tor" apps recently.

I happen to be in Linux Mint LMDE 3 Cinnamon at the moment because I was helping other Linux Mint members with something else.

First, I purged (removed completely) all "tor" packages

sudo apt purge tor*
There is no "torbrowser-launcher" in LMDE 3 Cinnamon and the download link for the regular Linux 64 bit version is not working for me. So, I downloaded the "experimental" version 64-bit in English from the link below, right-clicked the file and extracted it, double-clicked the "Tor Browser" file in their folder and it is working properly.

Tor Browser
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

FYI: the "tor" packages in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) are not working anymore for me? "Tor", "tor-geoipdb", "torsocks".
"Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Address already in use"
Anyone know how to fix that?

Hope this helps ...
TorBrowserBundle-Experimental.jpg
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

they just be a problem now aka broken, cause i tried both the tor installer and the lor launcher. looked like they installed but would not load tor. betting if i extract the one package i downloaded i win't have an issue with it. the only thing about brave is i do need two extensions in even tor, and they are lastpass and fvd speeddial. enabled them to work in private mode, but not showing up in the tor private mode. thoughts anyone?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi MrGrimm...as regards apps, exts, etc while using Tor, this is what Tor has to say...Tor tends to disable exts and apps...hope this is of help...DAMIEN
Don't enable or install browser plugins
Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address. Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional addons or plugins into Tor Browser, as these may bypass Tor or otherwise harm your anonymity and privacy.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:43 pm hi MrGrimm...as regards apps, exts, etc while using Tor, this is what Tor has to say...Tor tends to disable exts and apps...hope this is of help...DAMIEN
Don't enable or install browser plugins
Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address. Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional addons or plugins into Tor Browser, as these may bypass Tor or otherwise harm your anonymity and privacy.
so with tor no usernames passwords, no bookmarks, and builtin speeddial page. make it a true pain in the ass to go anywhere.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

the whole idea of using TOR is really for secure communications back and forth person to person like being able to use by reporters, whistle blowers, people communicating from countries where invasive survailence is prevalent etc...the addons you speak of negate the privacy and security that TOR is intended for...all the bookmarks, speed dialers, etc are really meant for normal web surfing with normal browsers as these EXTs and APPs, by their very nature have a need to send info back and forth to their home base in order to stay updated etc...and even with all that being said, what says that TOR has not been secretly cracked already as well...there is no such thing as 100% percent guarantee of security and privacy in this world...it does not exist...this is the best we've got and the best that we all can do at present...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Last edited by trytip on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

here for those that want to disable web torrents in brave. have to say itr's a sweet browser.

brave-browser --disable-webtorrent-extension
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi trytip...you asked,
how do you get the TOR window to connect in brave-browser. i have no connection with the TOR window?
i said in my first reply to this post,
in the "hamburger" drop down menu located in the upper right hand portion of the browser and is entitled, "new private window for tor". just type where you want to go in the address bar and go.
when you do the "hamburger" menu click i mentioned above, That IS TOR, a very simplistic one.

it is address bar only and keep in mind that TOR address bar browser incorporated in the brave browser doesnt connect with brave-browser as brave is chromium base, TOR is mozilla firefox based...it is a separate entity within and accessed by clicking on the "new private window for tor".

simple as that, this is all it is...there is no specially bundled browser. its just a stand alone little entity that is used by brave to access the TOR system via address bar only

that IS how TOR is expected to work from the chromium based brave-browser, the mozilla based TOR is just incorporated within is all and is there for the ride...DAMIEN
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:10 pm Hi MrGrimm,

Well, I have been having issues my my "tor" apps recently.

I happen to be in Linux Mint LMDE 3 Cinnamon at the moment because I was helping other Linux Mint members with something else.

First, I purged (removed completely) all "tor" packages

sudo apt purge tor*
There is no "torbrowser-launcher" in LMDE 3 Cinnamon and the download link for the regular Linux 64 bit version is not working for me. So, I downloaded the "experimental" version 64-bit in English from the link below, right-clicked the file and extracted it, double-clicked the "Tor Browser" file in their folder and it is working properly.

Tor Browser
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

FYI: the "tor" packages in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) are not working anymore for me? "Tor", "tor-geoipdb", "torsocks".
"Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Address already in use"
Anyone know how to fix that?

Hope this helps ...
TorBrowserBundle-Experimental.jpg
thanks for that, much appreciated. abit off topic but do you have something for brav dev? i ask cause from what i can see it's not updating, and using the terminal commands for the latest just tells me i have brave install already. figure if i remove it and install the latest i'll be good. thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”